Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
I am waiting for black AirPods. Give me black AirPods Apple. Now.
Black will be very cool and I bet they will at some point in the future - but the white stands out and is great for advertising them. I think Apple will want to use that, like they did with the iPod headphones, for campaigns. I find myself spotting people with the white airpods and giving a knowing look as I wear mine. We're in an exclusive club - until Apple gets their manufacturing issues under control.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Except for the large amount of people that can't wear them because of their uncomfortable design. If they eventually offer different designs, it could be huge.

They also don't seal the ear and look dorky on most people but one good redesign and sound improvement and these things will fly!

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Can he or she please predict next weeks winning powerball numbers?

I think Apple has a ways to go with the apple watch. I love mine, I primarily use it as a, wait for it, watch!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Out of curiosity have you actually used the AirPods for any length of time?

I own a ton of headphones and I absolutely hate earbuds because they hurt my ears. Sitting next to me right now in my office are a pair of Seinnheiser open back w/amp, a pair of Master & Dynamics, a pair of Sony MDR-1000X (my airplane headphones), and a pair of Audio-Technica's w/amp. All over ear headphones because earbuds kill my ears.

But do you know what I use all day here at my office? The AirPods. Why? Because I can wear them all day long and not even notice they are in my ears.

Everyone has different ears. But i've found the AirPods to be the most comfortable headphones i've ever used. They can't beat any of the over ear headphones I have for pure audio quality, but they don't need to. For all day use while sitting at my desk, talking on my phone, etc. the comfort they provide me outweighs the audiophile audio quality of my other headphones that I own.

I still use my other headphones. I just can't wear them all day long like I can the AirPods. My ears would be numb. The AirPods I will literally forget they are in my ears while going about my daily routine at work.

I agree wholeheartedly... my Senn and AKG rarely get used now. I would also add that the EarPods constantly fell out of my ears making them useless for exercising or even walking, but I don't have that problem with AirPods. It really is the weight of the wires.

People who knock the design/fit/etc without actually trying them are doing themselves a disservice. Use the 14 day return policy. AirPods have a 98% sat rating which means it should fit the vast majority of users' ears just fine.

Reactions: ErikGrim

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
If Apple is underpricing the Apple watch they better continue to if they want to sell them. Definitely a nice to have luxury item but not a necessity. They start raising the price on those definitely expect demand to decrease. Certainly are not underpricing the bands that's for sure.

I'm slightly tempted to get it for exercising tracking purposes but I can run with my phone and save a ton of dough.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Except for the large amount of people that can't wear them because of their uncomfortable design. If they eventually offer different designs, it could be huge.

Any sources on the "large" number of people there?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
guys do i look cool?

090716-apple-airpods-music-7021-2.jpg

iphone%207-39.jpg

Lol are those dildos sticking out of your ears, or are you just happy to see me? My god, one look in the mirror with these on was enough to send me running back to the Apple store to return them, although I did have to stop about a thousand times to pick them up because they kept falling out of my ears.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Revenue ought to exceed the watches in a year or less. AirPods serve an entirely different market that is much larger than the watch market.

The only possible catch here is what will happen with the Watch when sub 7nm processes are shipping. When that happens one will be able to pack an incredible amount of functionality into a watch and not suffer battery problems.

I have the latest Watch and AirPods.

I do believe the AirPods should be everywhere by now, but they are not because Apple must be having problems making them fast enough - still a 6 week wait in Canada - that turns a lot of orders away.

The AirPods are fantastic - absolutely incredible, and yeah, they will appeal to all. They can sell millions of sets and the margin is going to be high. There are a few people who might not be able to wear the AirPods - but I'm sure for the majority, they get the experience I get, which is ease of use, great sound, comfortable, no falling out ( I could play NFL football and they would not fall out that's how good they hold in the ear). 6 months and I have not lost them yet, and if they are misplaced I can "find" them by Bluetooth goodness.

As for the Apple Watch - it is awesome, and has zero battery problems - you can get 1.5 to 2 days out of the Apple Watch usually. I'd say that's good. Charge it for 20 minutes in the morning and you are good for another 1.5 days - that kind of thing. No "battery problem" as I see it in my own personal use.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I got bored of waiting for stock so finally just bit the bullet and ordered some. Should be with me in a couple of weeks. I'm balls deep in Apple at the moment. They are making some amazing products and software. Even their services are hugely improved. Can't wait to get my AirPods, I think they'll be a fantastic complement to all my other Apple devices.

Reactions: ZebraDude

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I would lose those things in a week

I thought so - but no.

It's a very well thought out solution. Charging in the case, bluetooth to find it if you misplace it, fits the ear well, sounds great. No way I am every using corded earbuds again.
[doublepost=1498584054][/doublepost]
I got bored of waiting for stock so finally just bit the bullet and ordered some. Should be with me in a couple of weeks. I'm balls deep in Apple at the moment. They are making some amazing products and software. Even their services are hugely improved. Can't wait to get my AirPods, I think they'll be a fantastic complement to all my other Apple devices.

That is the biggest problem - No Stock!

By now we should have seen every human being using AirPods. It will come, just slower I guess because they can't make them fast.

Reactions: BulkSlash

AZ63

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Same here. Airpods are extremely comfortable that sometime I forget I'm wearing them. I wonder people say they don't fit are just trolling.
I don't think people are making up the fact that they have issues with the Apple headphones as ears come in all shapes and sizes. As for me, while the Apple headphones don't fall out they make my ears hurt as if they have been bruised after wearing them, however, I can wear my silicone ear buds all day and have no pain what so ever.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The Apple Watch is a fad. I think it's going to lose a lot of steam in the next few years. Apple needs to throw in the towel and create a cheaper "fit" watch. Those would sell like hotcakes and it's where the market is heading. The "all in one" watch of our dreams is just that...a dream.

Airpods have the stronger market. Apple needs to tweak their design, though, as they are really uncomfortable for my ears.

Last edited:

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Gene Munster? Hasn’t he been telling us that Apple are launching a TV set THIS QUARTER for the past 12 years?

I do not put much stock in his predictions

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems plausible. The profit margins on Airpods has to be very healthy at $160. Moreover, it's not impossible to find the 38mm AW on sale for $199 and the AW has to cost more than the AirPod to manufacture because it has a screen and an Ax chip and metal housing which Airpod does not have.

The earbud market is bigger than the watch market by any metric. And people are apt to lose AirPod more than AW, so the replacement ratio well favors AirPods.

Gen 1 AirPods are pretty great for a product right out of the bat. I've tried out a few BT buds, including Beats. Airpods are the most convenient by far. (You don't buy BT buds for sound quality, sorry). Airpods are only going to get better and, hopefully, better looking -- yes, they are butt ugly. It's not that people are not use to them. It's one of those things you don't really ever get use to like old fat men in Speedo thongs -- or really any man. Yes, I feel a bit self-conscience wearing my Airpods but I only wear them when I run so no one can see them on me anyway. :D Very much looking forward to Apple pushing out black one. I'll be first in line.

Reactions: Born Again

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Lol are those dildos sticking out of your ears, or are you just happy to see me? My god, one look in the mirror with these on was enough to send me running back to the Apple store to return them, although I did have to stop about a thousand times to pick them up because they kept falling out of my ears.

You'll get used to how they look, and everyone else does too. I look at white cords hanging out of people's ears and I am used to it, but when I compare to my AirPods, I know I would never go back.

Too bad they do not fit your ear canal. If they fit you, you will love them - I guarantee it.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Somehow they don't fit my ears, just like the regular Apple Earbuds. They slip out within seconds after I put them in. The Apple In-Ear Headphones fit perfectly, plus they block sound much better so I own a pair as my light travel headphones. I would buy an In-Ear-Airpod the day it gets released!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Apple Watch is a fad. I think it's going to lose a lot of steam in the next few years. Apple needs to throw in the towel and create a cheaper "fit" watch. Those would sell like hotcakes and it's where the market is heading. The "all in one" watch of our dreams is just that...a dream.

It's not a fad. Fads take hold over an entire population. AW is either an emerging device or a niche device. We won't know which for another couple of years as it matures or Apple developent slows down because of poor sales (we still don't know what the true sales volume is.)

AW can be had on sale for $199. That's pretty in-line with other activity watches and better build materials and quality too than say a Fitbit Blaze. But activity bands are a fad. Apple needs to broadend out the AW functionality, which it's doing with health, but also need so compete with true running and tri-athalon watches. Certainly AW has the horsepower so I'm unsure why Apple hasn't challenged that market yet. It could put Garmin on it's heels it it wanted.

I use my AW as my daily watch now. My much more expensive and better looking Baume Mercier sits in my drawer, only to be used for upscale occcassions when AW wouldn't fit the bill. AW is tremendously convenient, esp. with ApplePay, but also notifications, weather, "saving" phone calls when you otherwise couldn't get to your phone.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Seems plausible. The profit margins on Airpods has to be very healthy at $160. Moreover, it's not impossible to find the 38mm AW on sale for $199 and the AW has to cost more than the AirPod to manufacture because it has a screen and an Ax chip and metal housing which Airpod does not have.

The earbud market is bigger than the watch market by any metric. And people are apt to lose AirPod more than AW, so the replacement ratio well favors AirPods.

Gen 1 AirPods are pretty great for a product right out of the bat. I've tried out a few BT buds, including Beats. Airpods are the most convenient by far. (You don't buy BT buds for sound quality, sorry). Airpods are only going to get better and, hopefully, better looking -- yes, they are butt ugly. It's not that people are not use to them. It's one of those things you don't really ever get use to like old fat men in Speedo thongs -- or really any man. Yes, I feel a bit self-conscience wearing my Airpods but I only wear them when I run so no one can see them on me anyway. :D Very much looking forward to Apple pushing out black one. I'll be first in line.
thanks for admitting the truth.

i hope they do make these airpods smaller in future iterations.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You'll get used to how they look, and everyone else does too. I look at white cords hanging out of people's ears and I am used to it, but when I compare to my AirPods, I know I would never go back.

Too bad they do not fit your ear canal. If they fit you, you will love them - I guarantee it.

Yeah I was really trying to like them. Even if they fit well I don't think I would have kept them because of the fugliness factor, but also I wasn't impressed with the sound versus my Jaybirds.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
... No plastic only headphones fit in my ear. I need the silicone tips, like on Apple's in ear headphones. They should have a version of AirPods like that.
51SiYoCmK7L._SY355_.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but you might want to try one of the Beats wireless ... it's basically the same as Airpods in that it has the same Apple W1 chip but different form factor. It's good for different reasons (sportier, better sound or fast charging) and has a much longer battery life as well.

w1-headphones1.jpg

The first one (BeatsX) looks like it has silicone in-ear fitting and it has fast charging (2hrs of playback on a 5 minute charge) and 8 hours of batter life.
The last one (PowerBeats3) has fast charging, 12 hours and other advantages (different size tips).

I think Apple realizes that there are different use cases, but decided to keep it simple by offering one set under the Apple brand and the others under the Beats brand.

Last edited:

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Augmented sound? Hmm yeah I guess it could come to that.

I'm surprised if we have version 3 in 2022.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
3wieda4.jpg

Reactions: spinedoc77

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It's not a fad. Fads take hold over an entire population. AW is either an emerging device or a niche device. We won't know which for another couple of years as it matures or Apple developent slows down because of poor sales (we still don't know what the true sales volume is.)

AW can be had on sale for $199. That's pretty in-line with other activity watches and better build materials and quality too than say a Fitbit Blaze. But activity bands are a fad. Apple needs to broadend out the AW functionality, which it's doing with health, but also need so compete with true running and tri-athalon watches. Certainly AW has the horsepower so I'm unsure why Apple hasn't challenged that market yet. It could put Garmin on it's heels it it wanted.

I use my AW as my daily watch now. My much more expensive and better looking Baume Mercier sits in my drawer, only to be used for upscale occcassions when AW wouldn't fit the bill. AW is tremendously convenient, esp. with ApplePay, but also notifications, weather, "saving" phone calls when you otherwise couldn't get to your phone.

Smartwatches as a whole are a fad that will decline in the next few years. I foresee the market being heavily focused on health and fitness, which is itself a large market. I don't believe, however, any of the convenience features you mentioned will be enough for someone to desire a smartwatch that doesn't already have the need for one. A lot of the people that purchased an Apple watch "just to buy an Apple watch" will not be return buyers.

Most of the people I've talked to that own an Apple watch (general consumers, not people of this forum) list the things the Apple watch CAN'T do when they show it off.

Many disagree with me, but I just don't see wearables having long term, widespread success. I foresee the market shrinking within ten years, not growing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.