Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Yes, you can just buff the scratches on the stainless steel but by doing this a lot, you can actually buff away the coating and will eventually see the actual steel under there if you're not careful.

There's no coating. Stainless steel becomes stainless steel by the addition of Chromium and Nickel into the grain structure of the metal. The chromium, when exposed to oxygen, forms a passivation layer on the surface, preventing pitting due to Cl- or other salty ions in the air. You can buff all day and still have a passivation layer.

I guarantee you that your aluminum will ding if you accidentally knick it on something (which is inevitable with a watch). My Tissot with hardened steel bezel has a knick in it because I smacked my wrist into a car door once - had it been aluminum, it would've been totally gashed in. The sapphire crystal though, is absolutely flawless.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
I'm poor so I got the sport. Can all the rich SS owners fill me in on how awesome their watch is? Thanks in advance.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
What kind of daily activities do you think involve scratching your screen?

If you read recent reports on these forums, you will find a number of people who scratched up their screens on day one. It's really easy to whack your watch against a wall or post or fence etc... I personally have never scratched an iPhone/iPad screen, but I wouldn't even think of getting a non-sapphire screen on an expensive watch. Of course not everyone can afford the extra money, but if you can, it's money well spent.

Wearing a watch is a whole different thing than carrying a phone when it comes to scratch vulnerability.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
If you read recent reports on these forums, you will find a number of people who scratched up their screens on day one. It's really easy to whack your watch against a wall or post or fence etc... I personally have never scratched an iPhone/iPad screen, put I wouldn't even think of getting a non-sapphire screen on an expensive watch.

Wearing a watch is a whole different thing than carrying a phone when it comes to scratch vulnerability.

Well honestly I'm not too worried as I plan to get the gen2.

As for my iPhones, I had a 5 that I dropped so many times but it didn't look like it. I have only dropped my 6 a few times. If I ding my watch or scratch it, oh well :)

tknice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I personally have never scratched an iPhone/iPad screen, but I wouldn't even think of getting a non-sapphire screen on an expensive watch. Of course not everyone can afford the extra money, but if you can, it's money well spent.
I can afford it, just not for gen 1. :)

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Well its because there is no point putting a anti glare coating on it. It would just scratch. The sport will scratch anyways so they figured why not add the anti glare improvement.

I guess there is a form of AR Sapphire that could be used but apple prob didn't go with something like that for profit/cost reasons.

There is no anti glare coating on either watch. The article explains that sapphire glass has poor reflective qualities compared to the ion glass. Needless to say sapphire glass will resist scratches much better. Although both watch crystals have the oleophobic coating which does scratch and does wear off in time.

rjdoc74

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
This thread made me LOL. Each side is trying to justify their purchase. Who gives a flying ********k what some guy/gal thinks on an anonymous board. Enjoy your watches people!!!!!! There are some out there with July delivery date!!!!!

Peace out.

djrm

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Norwich, UK
Haha OP. My Friend has the sport and I have the SS, the attention in the bar over my one compared to his was clear as day with one commenting on his saying why does it look so cheap :eek: Don't really want something that looks cheap on my wrist ta.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Haha OP. My Friend has the sport and I have the SS, the attention in the bar over my one compared to his was clear as day with one commenting on his saying why does it look so cheap :eek: Don't really want something that looks cheap on my wrist ta.

Good for you. But I'm thinking your topic does not belong in this thread.

Last edited:

Isaacemilio

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
just because we paid premium and you didn't, doesn't mean you need to hate on us. just saying.

In my opinion i think it was a very stupid thing to do, based on the fact that this is a first generation device.

Lets see in a year when the new generation comes out. You will be stuck with 550+ Watch that will be useless when the new comes out.

I think that the people who ordered the sport edition were the most smart ones.

But if you think is worth 200+ dollars on a sapphire crystal and some stainless steel even if there is a more economic version of the watch that does the same thing.

Ps. Im not trying to argue with anyone. It was just a simple thought.

ZPr13st

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Looking forward to getting my 42 space black link watch. Jealous of all the sport watch people who got theirs on launch day and irritated how they are making it sound like the sport was the way to go to justify their purchase.

It's like 1st in line HALO 3 launch kid who stood at the door and said "first copy sold" to everyone leaving. My only comment to him was, "yeah? Well I don't have to wait for mommy to pick me up so I can play."

seamor0512

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
In my opinion i think it was a very stupid thing to do, based on the fact that this is a first generation device.

Lets see in a year when the new generation comes out. You will be stuck with 550+ Watch that will be useless when the new comes out.

But if you think is worth 200+ dollars on a sapphire crystal and some stainless steel even if there is a more economic version of the watch that does the same thing.

do the watches have a self destruct instruction when :apple: watch 2 gets announced or something?

Isaacemilio

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
do the watches have a self destruct instruction when :apple: watch 2 gets announced or something?

In fact when the new apple watch 2 comes out, they might realease the self destruct instruction. Just like when they realeased the iphone 5, no one cared about the iphone 4 anymore

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010

Apparently it's only the SS version that has it.

I was perfectly happy paying the extra 200 for SS. I'll either sell it if the price is right when gen 2 comes out or I will gift it to a family member. I am completely satisfied with my decision. I don't think the silver sport looks very nice and while the space gray sport does look quite sharp I feel like it limited my band choices to much. Couple that with the bonus of a sapphire display on the SS made my decision pretty simple.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Totally love my SS Milanese!!! Don't care about scratches, don't care about cost, just care about me! :)

giphy.gif

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

Huh? When the new one comes out, don't u just buy it? What's so hard In That? I just ordere a SS I could care less about already since they were late on my expectations, they didn't deliver.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
In fact when the new apple watch 2 comes out, they might realease the self destruct instruction. Just like when they realeased the iphone 5, no one cared about the iphone 4 anymore

By then, we'll have been trained to stand up whenever the watch commands us and by using the taptic engine direct us right and left until we arrive at the closest Apple Store and automatically purchase the new version of the watch via Apple Pay. #:eek:

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
By then, we'll have been trained to stand up whenever the watch commands us and by using the taptic engine direct us right and left until we arrive at the closest Apple Store and automatically purchase the new version of the watch via Apple Pay. #:eek:

'Time to stand up and procure new apple watch'

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Someone is trying to justify why they are happier with the cheaper model. Just be happy and keep it to yourself.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
The SS may scratch more, it may be rubbish in the sun but at least it looks like a watch and not like a cheap toy watch

Jrdn13crvr

Suspended
Apr 20, 2015
Scratches can easily and have already been polished out.

Your screen is inferior. Just wait until it start scratching with daily activities.

Enjoy.

haha guys honestly there doesn't need to be arguing over screens- yes, SS sapphire is going to be more scratch resistant and yes the Sport will reflect less light, they are both beautiful screens- currently wearing the sport and I enjoy it, but if I had the extra cash, SS is definitely nice, too. enjoy your purchases!

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Huh? When the new one comes out, don't u just buy it? What's so hard In That? I just ordere a SS I could care less about already since they were late on my expectations, they didn't deliver.

It isn't 5/8 yet... keep telling the same story

----------

The SS may scratch more, it may be rubbish in the sun but at least it looks like a watch and not like a cheap toy watch

Oh snap, now you got us. You are right. How wrong we were...

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I don't think one screen is better than the other.

They are build according to how they would be used. I.e the sport that's less reflective and impact resistant is perfect for sports and other fitness related activities both indoors and outdoors. And the normal one with better scratch resistance as it's not exposed to that much impact.

It's all about trade offs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.