Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShamanRawb

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
The passport uses a native USB controller on the drive. Do not expect to crack one open and place it in you MBP.

I have a 1TB Scorpio in my 15" MBP. It work perfectly. I can take my songs, a few movies and photos with me without a battery draining external drive.

I disassembled my Passport 250gb. There is a plugin USB adapter. You unplug it, its a standard SATA drive.

cookieronster

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Los Angeles
i have read people saying that their macs took much longer to boot up than with a normal 5400 rpm drive, can the OP or anyone else elaborate on this? I really want to do this mod but if the load times are indeed slower than with a 5400/7200 then i'm running the other direction.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
i have read people saying that their macs took much longer to boot up than with a normal 5400 rpm drive, can the OP or anyone else elaborate on this? I really want to do this mod but if the load times are indeed slower than with a 5400/7200 then i'm running the other direction.

My boot and load times are no slower than stock. The system feels pretty much the same as the stock 250GB drive. I only have about 200GBs remaining on it though and I have noticed it slow just a bit. Probably more from just file fragmenting than how full it is.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The ultimate solution would be to RAID 0 two of these 1TB drives using the OWC Disk Doubler. That would give you a 2TB striped RAID array at double the speed!!

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
The ultimate solution would be to RAID 0 two of these 1TB drives using the OWC Disk Doubler. That would give you a 2TB striped RAID array at double the speed!!

The OWC solution claims a limit of a 9.5mm height drive, which would eliminate the 12.5mm 1TB drive currently on the market. If someone has successfully placed one of these drives with this or any other OD replacement solution, I would like to hear about it!

Swagfndr

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Just finished restoring to Time Machine after installing the WD 1TB Scorpio Blue. Works great and fit perfectly in 13" MBP (2010).

The whole process took 15 minutes to change and 2 hours to reformat and restore.

I am a happy camper!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The OWC solution claims a limit of a 9.5mm height drive, which would eliminate the 12.5mm 1TB drive currently on the market. If someone has successfully placed one of these drives with this or any other OD replacement solution, I would like to hear about it!

If you can't do two 1TB drives using one of them in the optical bay, then you could do two 512GB SSD drives, and RAID 0 them, but this upgrade would set you back about $3000!

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
If you can't do two 1TB drives using one of them in the optical bay, then you could do two 512GB SSD drives, and RAID 0 them, but this upgrade would set you back about $3000!

I had a 1TB drive in my mbp 15", but opted for the speed of an SSD. If I could install the 1TB in the optical bay, I would.

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Anybody see the new Seagate GoFlex 1.5tb drives? They're external, but I can't find anyone tearing them open (750gb or 1tb, the 1.5tb were just released) and installing them in Macbook Pros.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
Anybody see the new Seagate GoFlex 1.5tb drives? They're external, but I can't find anyone tearing them open (750gb or 1tb, the 1.5tb were just released) and installing them in Macbook Pros.

I heard about these 1.5TB 2.5" drives going on sale near the end of this year. I know Toshiba is going to be making one. This plus an SSD in the optical bay would be legit!

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
If I get the 1TB, how should I backup my Windows 7 partition so I can restore it? Is that possible? Thanks!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Huh? This whole thread is about the fact 12.5mm drives fit into unibody macbooks and there proof here so what are you talking about?

The current 13" MacBook Pro (aluminium, unibody) was at some point in the past called a "MacBook". So 12.5mm fits into a 13" aluminium unibody MacBook which is just a MacBook Pro before the name change, it doesn't fit into a 13" white or black MacBook.

ShamanRawb

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
If I get the 1TB, how should I backup my Windows 7 partition so I can restore it? Is that possible? Thanks!

I think you can use disk utility to clone the entire HD, not just a partition. You would drag the hard drive over to source instead.

ShamanRawb

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Had trouble with WD 640 so...

Went back to stock Hitachi 320 for awhile. That was much faster.
Last week, I went ahead and ordered/installed the WD 1tb. I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, moved my personal files over, reinstalled programs. And man, this puppy is even faster than my hitachi was. I have 400gb of it full too.
LOVE IT.
15" MB Pro ver 6,2

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
used Winclone for my W7 partition, and installed the 1TB. Restoring from Time Machine now :)

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Seagate goflex 1.5 tb

The local Best Buy has these in stock: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...lack/1305576.p?id=1218249064843&skuId=1305576

Although the pic is of a desktop drive,on Best Buy's site, the model number matches up to the 1.5 tb portable drive on Seagate's website. Now, to just come up with some cash and some time for a disassembly and install. When that happens, I'll let you guys know and hopefully post some pics too. $230 is a lot for a 1.5 tb drive.

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone know of any videos of a Seagate GoFlex portable drive disassembly? I know it's supposed to be SATA, but I haven't been able to dig one up. Plus, as I said before, $230 for a 1.5tb drive is pretty expensive. But, that amount of space will fit my needs perfectly!!

Chase R

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2008
PDX
Anyone know of any videos of a Seagate GoFlex portable drive disassembly? I know it's supposed to be SATA, but I haven't been able to dig one up. Plus, as I said before, $230 for a 1.5tb drive is pretty expensive. But, that amount of space will fit my needs perfectly!!

This is taken from another thread:

IMG_0259.jpg

Looks like SATA to me. Good luck with the install and post up some pics, maybe a video too, if and when you upgrade!

ringwormcletus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for the pics and post. Looks like it's a little too thick for my tastes. I'll go with the 1 tb for now. Unless someone else wants to try.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
seems like my macbook pro is going a lot slower now. I upgraded to the 1TB 5200RPM from a 500GB 7200RPM.

But with three platters compared to two, I keep reading it should be close to the same speed...

currently repairing permissions for the 3rd or 4th time though, so that is probably taking the hit on speed.

I have 8GB of RAM and an i7, so I don't think it should matter much. But when I open a web browser I get the spinning rainbow for quite a few seconds almost every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.