Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
huawei saw this coming years ago, thats why they started HISILICON to make their own kirin processor, and have been developing their own OS for years, whether or not folks would like huawei's own OS is remain to be seen.
They don’t make their own processors. They use ARM cores. If the British government decided to ban tech sales to Huawei the same as the US then they’d lose access to ARM and no more processors.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
But they have shows a blatant disregard for the law throughout their history.
They have stolen trade secrets and copied product from Cisco and others.
This isn't speculation but fact.

Except that is not the basis this Administration used to label Huawei as a national security threat.

Reactions: tongxinshe

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Going in with Apple facing some production or shipping issues soon.

Not only that, but the Chinese government is strongly encouraging its citizens to buy Chinese-made wireless products (instead of Apple's).
[doublepost=1558362775][/doublepost]
Except that is not the basis this Administration used to label Huawei as a national security threat.

But it is and has. That's been going on since the mid to late 1990s. And not just Huawei.

Reactions: decypher44

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
They don’t make their own processors. They use ARM cores. If the British government decided to ban tech sales to Huawei the same as the US then they’d lose access to ARM and no more processors.
yes your right, and also TSMC is the one that makes it, but the brits have decided to allow huawei to help build out its g network in the uk. so they are not on trump's side on this political spat between trump and china.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Chinese tech companies are the Chinese government. China is a communist regime. We can profit from them but let’s not do anything to make them stronger.
I have worked for years in Asia with manufacturers there. This will definitely hurt Huawei but there is always plan "B" and plan "C" as backup options for the Chinese. The harder they are pushed the harder they will be pushed into innovation. In time they will succeed too. Short term maybe not so quickly but given time they will succeed.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Not only that, but the Chinese government is strongly encouraging its citizens to buy Chinese-made wireless products (instead of Apple's).
[doublepost=1558362775][/doublepost]

But it is and has. That's been going on sine the mid to late 1990s.

Again, that is not the justification the Administration used to label Huawei as a national security threat. They're two entirely separate issues.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

ARM, which is now owned by Vision Fund, or SoftBank has already established a JV in China, ( I think China saw what was possibly coming ). And these JV meant China will at least have access to ARM. Not to mention there is a some push towards RSIC-V.

I suggest everyone to read the article linked below, the issues isn't really Huawei, Tech, 5G ( No, it is not 5G for the millionth times, except the media on both side keep referencing it it ) or what not. The fundamental issue is trust.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...cold-war-will-get-worse-before-it-gets-better

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Again, that is not the justification the Administration used to label Huawei as a national security threat. They're two entirely separate issues.

Not *the* justification. But is always brought up along with the other trade issues as it has been an ongoing issue for the last 20+ years. It's been the elephant in the room for that long.

Reactions: decypher44

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Going in with Apple facing some production or shipping issues soon.

I think this unlikely. There are too many people in China employed making Apple products and related components for China to do this. China needs to keep people working.

I believe Tim Cook saw the risk of disruption in the China supply chain some time ago. This is why Foxxconn started a factory in Brazil and Apple is starting to make phones in India.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I think this unlikely. There are too many people in China employed making Apple products and related components for China to do this. China needs to keep people working.

I believe Tim Cook saw the risk of disruption in the China supply chain some time ago. This is why Foxxconn started a factory in Brazil and Apple is starting to make phones in India.

Absolutely. Good move by Cook recognizing that disruption possibility. Along with the Chinese government encouraging its citizens to buy Chinese wireless products, with resulting declining Apple sales. I see AAPL is down 3% this morning.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The ban supposedly also includes ZTE.
Will the sanctions eventually bleed over to software like Windows and companies like Lenovo?

It will most likely affect Microsoft. I don't see how it could not.

However, to the best of my knowledge, Lenovo is a separate company. So I don't see how this would immediately affect them.

As I understand it, the crux of the issue is Huawei's telecom infrastructure business. The issue with smartphones and PC's is just a side effect of that.

Reactions: citysnaps

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I think Xi over-judged his strength when he publicly pushed for the Made in China 2025 program. While his vision is correct (and this ban really underscore that), it would have been better to do so discretely rather than so in-your-face.

Anyway longer term it will likely be worse for the U.S. than China. A key part of U.S. technological leadership is not that other countries cannot compete, but that it doesn't make economic sense to do so. However the bedrock of that is a reliable trade partner. Today it may be Huawei, tomorrow it can be any other firm. What China should do now is to reform on its own and address the grievances of its many trade partners. Trump is making too many enemies and it is the perfect time to control the narrative.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Not likely. Apple manufacturing brings in billions to China and employs a substantial number of people. So does the manufacture of countless other products.

Huawei is only one company. I don’t see China jeopardizing their entire manufacturing industry over Huawei.
Maybe not production problems but Chinese consumers will boycott Apple products and that is 18% of Apple’s revenue. Hence Apple stock price is dropping more than Alphabet’s today.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
This is exactly why China is setting up their own banking system and PetroYuan for international trade as the US Banking system poses a national security threat for their international trade and their own national security. They can not allow a Person/President like Trump to come along and just sign off on a paper which cripples their manufacturing,trade or banking. China has a lot of things that they are wrong on but also has a lot of things they are right on. It goes both ways depending on which one chooses to look at.
[doublepost=1558365549][/doublepost]
Agreed. Let US Government be the only to spy their own citizens.
Some Chinese also felt the same way which is why Google,Facebook.Whatsapp,Instagram amongst a few others were not allowed in China ;)

Last edited:

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Not *the* justification. But is always brought up along with the other trade issues as it has been an ongoing issue for the last 20+ years. It's been the elephant in the room for that long.

Which brings us back to my original point. The Administration is using false claims of a national security threat as the basis for redressing the completely unrelated issue of trade. That's not how free-market economies operate.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
While I agree with the move against Huawei, there is really no difference today between China monitoring it's citizens and the U.S. government monitoring it's citizens. Well, except that in the U.S. it breaks the law and it does not in China. And the fact that no one in the U.S. seems to care either way.

If the U.S. wanted to win the world trade war the U.S. government would bow out of interference with hardware manufacturers to allow it to monitor and would protect privacy. We used to call this a level playing field, which no longer exists. But the U.S. is not grown up enough to do that. So the world will become even more bipolar as each country develops its own tech and/or sides with one of the major players.

Reactions: AleRod

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I wonder how many people who made these ignorant comments have traveled any where else other than their town let alone to somewhere like China...

Has anyone read about that backdoor bug in Cisco routers that was disclosed recently.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Absolutely. Good move by Cook recognizing that disruption possibility. Along with the Chinese government encouraging its citizens to buy Chinese wireless products, with resulting declining Apple sales. I see AAPL is down 3% this morning.
I saw recently many local Chinese business owners starting to buy Huawei or other local smartphones in support of China to perhaps show patriotism. This will vary as many still like Apple products but if I were to guess even if only 30-50-% decide to be patriotic it could affect Apple big time with sales in China. You will see this from their stock price as we have seen it drop from over $215 to around $182 now which is roughly a 15% haircut within the last month alone
5247D5AA-211E-42DF-9660-BE5F0EE7A2A0.jpeg

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
...and that will eventually push chinese companies to be less reliant on US, by building their own techs. Which means initial trouble but stronger future for China.

You really think people in the west or Africa will buy Chinese phones with Chinese OS? Lol yeah right.

This step is long overdue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.