Google Login Chief Lauds Apple Sign In as 'Better for the Internet,' Says Google's Sign In Feature Doesn't Collect Data Either

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019.

1. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Fooled how? Google has always maintained that their invasive model was fine because no one complained about it. Only after governments around the world started asking the same question we Apple people have been for years, did Google and others start changing how they do data. I’ve had Googlites to tell me point blank they don’t care since the don’t break the law.

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m struggling to understand why I should care what a Google project manager thinks about Apple’s new sign-in feature.

3. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Apple has fooled you into believing google sells user data when they provide an ad service. Google collects and mines that user data but doesn't sell that information. Google uses that information to decide which ads to display.

Most people are fine with google collecting non sensitive information. Stop with the lies to get people angry.

4. jk1211 macrumors 6502

Oh please

5. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

You may want to take it easy with the quotes. That's libel if he never said that homie.

6. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Yeah, to bad they had to even build it. They had a partner that they invested a lot of time an energy into building Mobile Maps buy they decided to use that app as a weapon against Apple by limiting features like this and turn by turn to instead compete against them.

7. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

Google plays fast and loose with what they mean by how they are using the data. He admits that Googe tracks where you sign in and we're expected to take their word on how that data is used. Even if they are accurate today they can update their policies at anytime and it would be backtracked to cover all the data they've collected to date.

Just like how Google is now gimping ad blockers in Chrome to minimize harm to their core business model now that they have a commanding marketshare lead. They will do what they can with collected data to serve their core profit center - targeted advertising.

This isn't a valid analogy though... Two main reason why it isn't...

1. Banks are insured by the Federal Government against deposit losses so your money is guaranteed safer. Without external audits we're expected to trust that companies have implemented this technology in a way that is safer. I'd wager that Google and Apple have, but we don't have any guaranteed protections for if the didn't.

2. Bank accounts can be closed and money moved without issue. We don't yet have a way to transfer your "Google Account" third party sign-in accounts over to Apple or etc. so consumers are more locked in. I'd trust Apple more than Google in the scenario, but the reality is still the same. Your eggs are in one basket since you can't easily export and change.

8. Khedron macrumors 65816

Apple is in the targeted advert business. Read your terms of service.

9. LordVic Suspended

Name some?

We can debate the validity of Google having the amount of data on us that they do, or their abuse of that data to sell us more ads.

But I have yet to see any gross breaches of data by Google. I trust Apple more for privacy than google due to the sheer amount of data google has. But there is not a list of countless privacy violations by them

you're probably thinking of Facebook and it's umbrella of companies that have a very, VERY long history of data breaches and data exfiltration.

Sooo yeah, The whole Apple propaganda thing? Ya bought it hook line and sinker ;)

10. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Maybe all the countries Suing Google over privacy violation. Maybe it’s because until all the fallout this year, Apple was the only one willing to even mention privacy. Their own executives and board members belittled the whole concept of privacy as nothing.

11. LordVic Suspended

Because Apple called out Google in their keynote and implied that Google's sign in method was unsafe. This was just Google trying to set the record straight that their sign in model is safe.

Whther you chose to believe him or not is up to you. But if Apple is going to make bold claims about their competition, you should damn well expect their competition to respond.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

There's three for you. :)

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/30/uk-lawsuit-alleges-google-tracked-safari-users/
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/13/google-location-history-disabled-still-stores-data/
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/22/android-sends-data-google-10-times-ios-to-apple/

13. LordVic Suspended

those aren't privacy violations. Those maybe an abuse of what data is collected from you, But so far none of these result in 3rd parties gaining access to your private data.

So far, as far as I know (And I could be wrong), There is no history of Google leaking or losing your private data to non-google resources.

Again, you can make a valid claim about how much data. How they collect it, and how intrusive that collecton is. But that is not the same as saying Google has privacy issues or has a history of having private data released.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Okay, so let's get this straight:

1) User intentionally turns off tracking for an app
    2) User intentionally turns off location history for an app
    3) Company in question still collects this data, despite the user's wilful non-consent

But apparently that's... data abuse, not privacy violation?

I dunno. I think you might be splitting hairs.

15. Alan Wynn macrumors 6502

Sorry, he isn’t “quoting” anyone, despite putting the text is quotation marks (he has no attribution). It is clearly intended as parody, and would not be actionable here in the U.S. (and from my understanding, would be an unlikely winner in the U.K., France and even Canada).

16. LordVic Suspended

Not splitting hairs. Using specific terms that mean something.

the actions describe are ****. And really make me question Google's willingness to collect all things in the name of profit. But that in itself is not generally considered

I'll give you that it could be considered intrusion into private affairs, but it is not the rest of the definition of privacy violation.

Up here in Canada, we have a very strict privacy regulation for corporations to follow (PIPEDA). And so far, Google has managed to stay within those lines and So far, there have been no cases of Google violating this policy.

Google does NOT sell your data. Google must get consent before collecting data. Google must make available to users all data of their own. Google cannot use data outside of what they say they use it for up front.

So according to our own laws, so far Google has not yet committed a privacy violation or leaked any personal data.

So you can call it splitting hairs. But I'm not trying to layer innuendo about another person or company in order to slander them like Apple attempted to do at the keynote.

This shouldn't change whether or not you believe Google over-reaches in their collection. Thats entirely personal, and I will even agree with you that there's gross overreach and they just don't NEED that much. But to claims a long history of privacy violations is exactly the propaganda Apple was hoping for.

17. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

TL;DR: so it's only a privacy violation if the data they collected on you somehow gets leaked. Otherwise it's fine.

Gotcha.

18. LordVic Suspended

Correct. Otherwise it's just abusive collection. Which is a completely relevant argument.

19. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

You just need to take a look at the data that Google stores about you at account.google.com to see how ludicrous his statement is. Maybe the login itself doesn't collect any data (though that's hard to believe), but Google as a whole is focused on collecting as much information about the people who uses its services.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    Good for you. Let us know how that works out.

20. brunozs macrumors member

"Google don't collect data"

YEAH, RIGHT

21. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Google has a history of collecting personal information about its users that goes far beyond what is required to provide the services users sign up for. The fact that a third party has not accessed it is irrelevant.

22. Mikey44 macrumors regular

Mikey44

Don’t you see?? It’s obvious that collecting data in unsavory ways isn’t a privacy violation.... that’s just data abuse. Data that they wouldn’t have if the company respected the users requested privacy.

The one that really irked me was even more recent, the Google Plus debacle. The fact that there was a breach and they consulted with their lawyers, who basically was like.. nope, don’t disclose that. Later they were caught, and they ended up moving up the google plus death date.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/google-data-breach-what-you-need-to-know/

For the same thing, even USA Today called it a privacy breach:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ing-down-aftermath-privacy-breach/1567981002/

23. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Another logical fallacy. Black and white.

Google sells ads. Apple sells ads. Therefore they are equal.

24. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I went and looked for the official verbiage. He's not mentioning how when you use sign in with Google that the site/app can request access to data in any Google Service you use. I'm definitely looking forward to sign in with Apple.

Here's what it says:
    Using Google to sign in to a third-party site or app
    What information does Google share with these sites or apps?

These third-party sites or apps can request the name, email address, and profile picture associated with your account.

Why Google shares this information
    This information makes it possible to connect your Google Account with a third-party app or site.

For example, you could connect your Google Account with a third-party music app. That way, you could play your favorite playlists using your Google Home.

Your Google Account email address is used to:

• Check if you have an existing account with a third-party app or site.
    • Connect your Google Account to an account you already have with a third-party app or site.
    • Create an account with a third-party app or site that’s connected to your Google Account.
    Third-party apps or sites may use this information in other ways as described in their privacy policy or elsewhere.

What other information does Google share with these sites or apps?

Separate from the profile information you provide when you sign in, a site or app can request permission to access data in any of the Google services you use. When a site or app requests access to other data in your account, you’ll have a chance to review what level of access it’s requesting before you decide. You should grant permission only if you trust the site or app.

25. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Sure Google.
    That is like a drunk saying he/she is not drunk.