Google Login Chief Lauds Apple Sign In as 'Better for the Internet,' Says Google's Sign In Feature Doesn't Collect Data Either

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019.

1. the future macrumors 65816

In all of these cases Google is the third party that gathers privacy-related data against the will and/or without the knowledge of the user.

2. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

You’re being pedantic by limiting Google behavior only to data breaches. I don’t need to hear of a data breach to know I shouldn’t trust Google. I can make a decision based on the numerous violations they’ve had in the past regarding data collection.

For example, Google discovered an exploit in Safari. Instead of notifying Apple of the exploit they chose to write malware to take advantage of it and continue tracking users. I consider that a privacy violation, not a data collection violation, because they collected data about me without my consent. That is essentially stealing.

3. LordVic macrumors 603

I'm wondering if the Terms of Services are different in the US versus Canada to adhere to our laws up here, Because I do review my Google data regularly and so far they haven't deviated from what their TOS up here says they collect. This is a requirement by our laws. Companies cannot collect any data that they have not explicitly asked permission for.

4. apolloa macrumors G4

It’s the best there is..

Google just does its own thing.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    Yes, the laws and data protection acts they must adhere to, if people don’t like the way they act they should complain with their vote or to parliament, not on an Internet forum.

5. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

The greatest thing about this feature is that if a site is breached, they won't have your email. It's so simple, it's genius.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I’m really curious about this logging emails thing that he said. Is he trying to imply that Apple is logging our email addresses to be able to forward our messages to us or that they are literally keeping a record of the actual emails we receive.
    And how is that any different than all the stuff that Google supposedly stores about us when we have a gmail account or any kind of google sign in in their systems.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    It’s the same game as Apple Pay. They will have only your email for that one site. Just like they only have your ‘card number’ from that one use (cause the number has a second set of digits that is unique to each transaction)

7. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Please show me the order page/form where I can buy user data from google.

8. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

They are to the extent they need to be to offer developers an option to embed ads into their apps. But, targeted advertisements are not the major revenue source for Apple. As a result, Google actively works to collect as much data as it can and Apple moves in the opposite direction.

The problem isn't so much the "rules" but the adherence to them. Keep in mind that Google's dashboard shows you what Google allows it to show you so it may not be truly authoritative. The reality is we'll end up needing verifiable third party audits that ensure the privacy policies and laws are actually being adhered to, but things are still too early for this.

Facebook as been found many times to have been collecting data that they said wasn't being collected or even doing so in ways that defy industry norms and best practices.

9. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

I was obviously joking with some context to law.

10. MauiPa macrumors 6502

ummm, yah? the guy that stole your car didn't steal it, you gave it away by not using Lojack

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I never thought so.. so much so that I even use google WiFi as a router. It’s the best out there

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Sooo...two months until Google releases a statement that a “configuration error” allowed data collection up until the day of this statement?

I don’t trust Google, period.

13. WPI MIDI Man macrumors newbie

With all due respect, if you had to trust your personal data to Apple or Google, which one would you pick? Apple is a no brainer pick for me.

14. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

15. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Apple automatically sends all your search requests to Google. Apple sold you out for $9 billion. Either apple trusts google with their user data or apple is a sell out.

16. Timemaster macrumors member

I do not think anyone would question that but when you break down your choices of data
    Apple is number 1 with Google being number 2. It is a step down to Google but not a massive one.
    Next would be Amazon which is a massive step down from Google. This followed by Facebook which is another massive step down from amazon.

Of big players in forms of trush
    1. Apple
    2. Google
    a Very distant 3rd. Amazon
    Light years behind 3rd in 4th. Facebook.

17. thimplicity macrumors newbie

So far I have used my email and a password to create new accounts or log into services. I trust Apple more in this case (especially with masking my real email feature) than the other usual suspects.

Do you guys know a way to move my accounts away from "separate email account" to "sign in with Apple" when it becomes available?

18. Mikey44 macrumors regular

Mikey44

This will just likely be you creating a new account using the sign in with Apple. Unless the developer offers it as an option within their site or app. There isn’t any automated tool that I am aware of that does this.

19. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

i love this email masking feature i'm excited to use it however i can see password resets are going to be tough if you have to remember the email you used to create an account. Wonder how this will work ?

20. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

Could you please be more specific? If I'm doing a Google search in Safari, I'm sort of hoping that do send along my search request. Otherwise, the whole "searching" part of that workflow just falls apart. So I'm either missing your point or you don't really have one.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Where are you forced to use Google search in iOS or macOS?

22. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

When apple talks about Google collecting user data, this is the data they are talking about.

23. T-R-S macrumors 6502

T-R-S

except that google's sign in feature will transmit your gmail email to the app and apple sign in will NOT DO that

24. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

That's still fairly vague. If you're referring to my "search requests", that's a necessary evil. You can't search the web unless you know what the user is attempting to find. Therefore, Apple needs to send Google those search requests. If Apple did NOT send search requests, Google would either have to send back nothing, or just a bunch of random links that have nothing to do with what the user wanted to find.

So again, you're going to have to be more clear about what data Apple is sharing with Google. If it's just search results, then you're really muddying the water by accusing Apple of performing a necessary duty. If it's something else, you'll need to be clear about that with some supporting evidence.