Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Marketing renders of Google's long-rumored Pixel Fold have emerged online, including detailed hardware specifications, leaving seemingly little still to be revealed ahead of the device's expected official unveiling later this month.

pixel-fold.jpg

Coming courtesy of the ever-reliable leaker Evan Blass, the genuine renders essentially corroborate design details that have been floating around for some time: The Pixel Fold adopts a form factor similar to the Galaxy Z Fold 4, featuring a 5.8-inch OLED display on the outer cover, and a main 7.6-inch OLED display (the same as the Galaxy Z Fold 4) that unfolds like a book. Both screens have a 120Hz refresh rate.

Based on details from Blass, the device is 5.5" tall by 3.1" wide by 0.5" thin when folded (139.7mm x 79.5mm x 12.1mm) and 5.5" x 6.2" x 0.2" (139.7mm x 158.7mm x 5.2mm) when unfolded. That should make the device able to fit easily in a pocket when folded. The Fold is powered by Google's Tensor G2 chip and a dedicated Titan M2 security co-processor, and comes with 12GB of RAM as well as 256GB or 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

pixel-fold2.jpg

The Fold's outer cameras are comprised of 48MP main, 10.8MP ultra-wide, and 10.8MP Dual Pixel telephoto lenses, while the inner camera is an 8MP lens. The Fold also weighs 283 grams, is IPX8 water resistant, and will have a 4,821mAh battery that is able to last for up to 24 hours. Color options are listed as Obsidian and Porcelain.

The Pixel Fold will be introduced at Google I/O on May 10, and Google plans to market it as a device with the "most durable hinge" on a foldable smartphone, a claim that should prove particularly apropos given recent reports emerging of hinge problems across Samsung's foldable Z phone line. The device is expected to be priced from around $1,700, which is in line with Samsung's pricing.

With the Pixel Fold becoming available in June, Google will beat Apple to the foldable smartphone market. There are rumors that Apple has been experimenting with foldable iPhones, but the company could actually introduce the technology in the iPad first.

pixel-fold1.jpg

At the current time, there is no solid word on just when Apple might introduce its first foldable iPhone, but analysts have suggested it won't come until 2025 at the earliest.

Article Link: Google Pixel Fold Marketing Images and Specs Leak Ahead of June Launch

Reactions: DJTaurus

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Hate these phones with a passion! They are bulky, cumbersome and a waste of engineering hours. This is not the next best thing in mobile development but companies trying to force something on people like slightly curved screens from Samsung that sucked!! Hope Apple never goes this route.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Google is selling a fold with Samsung prices but without Samsung's hardware superiority? That should go over well. :p

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I am so excited to get this. I've wanted a folding iPhone for many years now. The only other time I left the iPhone was in 2013 for the Galaxy S4 Active because Apple was taking their sweet time with larger screens. No desire to leave iOS but slab phones are dead. Foldables are the future.

The compact outer screen, wide aspect ratio when unfolded, and pure Google experience are amazing features. The high price tag, lack of dust resistance, and ridiculous weight are obvious cons. But if you look at the Huawei Mate X3 you can see that foldables are going to be incredible in the near future. I do believe Apple will offer a foldable in 2 years time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.