Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodrigomarrafao

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Seems like it would be better to bring back Google Maps as the default map application and scrap Apple Maps. I've submitted errors and issues but they still remain after months. While they might have the resources, it seems like it would be better to use those resources on something else and just renegotiate a deal with Google for the maps application.

POI in Brazil were never updated. Every single blatant errors I saw were never fixed, no matter how many times I reported. They are just plain lazy. I would love to see, just the will, to fix anything from Apple.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Meanwhile, back at 1 Infinite Loop, Tim Cook has digested the recent Google announcements and has responded by offering employees more free Cupertino KoolAid and a free iTunes download of "Don't Worry - Be Happy"...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Awesome. I genuinely like Apples version and Google Maps. I pretty much use both in different situations. The funny thing is though that I had to find this new restaurant in Stockholm, which was impossible with Google Maps cause it placed it about 1500 feet off, unlike Apple Maps which surprisingly managed find it spot on.

Another thing about Google Maps is that their satellite images are at least 5 years old where I live. Apparently my apartment doesn't even exist according to Google, unlike Apple Maps which has a 1 year old image. I should add that I live pretty much about 2 miles from the central part of Stockholm (capital of Sweden for those of you who don't know).

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I use Apple Maps for 2 reasons:

1. It uses my phone's contacts, which I store in iCloud, and not just the ones I have saved to my Gmail account.

2. I like the UI and voice of the turn-by-turn navigation in Apple Maps better than that in Google Maps. Hell, even Navigon's UI and voice are far superior to Google maps. Superficial, yes. I know. :)

Honestly, all it would probably take for me to use the new Google Maps as my full-time map application would be for them to integrate iPhone contacts into search. Their POI data and information on locations is just way superior to Apple Maps.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Ketchup

Apple cannot and will not EVER catch up to Google Maps. They were insane to start a war with Google.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
i am a sucker for macbook pros as well and refuse to use any other machines and i make a living working in logic should restore your faith.

i am a rational customer. not a sheep or a fanboy

Just because you say you are doesn't actually mean you are. And you're posts thus far in this thread don't come across as 'rational' in the slightest

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
finally Maps for iPad - only thing I've been waiting for to upgrade iOS on my iPad

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm confused over one thing. I check Apple maps every morning to see the traffic on the roads I'll be taking. And now, Google is telling me that Apple maps doesn't show traffic ?

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
User-submitted 360° pictures of inside the restaurants/buildings is a great addition!

Apple Maps has a lot of catching up to do.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
If I could, I would use nothing but this map.

Sadly, it's a bit bulky, it only covers one country, and it doesn't zoom.

But it's a beautiful map.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Apple needs to just let Apple Maps die and grovel to Google for forgiveness.

It's pretty apparent they will never put the number of resources (money and staff) as Google does into their maps.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
white roads on a light tan back round has to be the worst implementation of maps for mobile devices, of course iOS Maps copied it

give me a high contrast version!

Renzatic

Suspended
Apple cannot and will not EVER catch up to Google Maps. They were insane to start a war with Google.

I wouldn't say that. Though considering the nearly glacial pace Apple has been moving at been recently, it'll probably take another 5 years at least before they're able to match Google feature for feature.

WWDC '13 better have something there that blows our minds, that's for sure. A hardware refresh and flat iOS 7 won't be enough.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Same. It's horrid. Windows 8 is unbelievably ugly, and I'm not looking forward to iOS 7 moving in that direction.

Can't stand this line of reasoning. Yes, the Windows 8 interpretation of flat isn't great but equating Windows 8 to flat design is akin to writing off all fruits because you hate bananas.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Seems like it would be better to bring back Google Maps as the default map application and scrap Apple Maps. I've submitted errors and issues but they still remain after months. While they might have the resources, it seems like it would be better to use those resources on something else and just renegotiate a deal with Google for the maps application.

Do you live outside the United States ?

Renzatic

Suspended
Can't stand this line of reasoning. Yes, the Windows 8 interpretation of flat isn't great but equating Windows 8 to flat design is akin to writing off all fruits because you hate bananas.

Like I've said before, most people point towards the Win8 start screen as the sole example of flat Metro styling, which isn't even the best example of it. While a lot of it is based on taste, there are a ton of good looking Metro apps out there that are much better demonstrations of how good it can look.

Do you live outside the United States ?

If he does, that's probably the main reason why he wants Google Maps back.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
The problem is the original poster I quoted had nothing to contribute but a very arguable claim of "Google FTW". I have nothing against Google, and use Google Maps almost daily, but that post is simply absurd, and is out of context.

He may not have to, "FTW" has several meanings,

It is sometimes a rallying cry, showing you want the subject to win.
It can mean you believe the subject as already won.
It can mean you highly approve of the subject.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Nice update on Google's part, but it's not enough to sway me from Apple maps. I'm making a conscious effort to not feed data farming companies my personal information.

The only problem I have with Apple Maps is the yelp integration. Please, just make the maps comprehensive on their own. It shouldn't be reliant on a separate app.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Loved the bit when he said it was accurate.

No doubt. It got half marks from me the other day. Identified the house in the right location, but had no street there. Not sure how it did that. And this was a decades-old street.

I can just see the people walking through a mall staring at their iPad, bumping into people, maybe a sunglasses cart.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
All you've managed to do is convince me that you held this very same opinion before Apple ever unveiled their maps, and that it doesn't matter what Apple did.

It's sad this site is overrun with Apple bashers. I don't go to googlerumors and troll there.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
POI in Brazil were never updated. Every single blatant errors I saw were never fixed, no matter how many times I reported. They are just plain lazy. I would love to see, just the will, to fix anything from Apple.

Where I am, also outside the USA, Apple has 3D terrain maps, google doesn't even have STREETS on their maps. (Apparently google thinks this town of many tens of thousands of people does not exist.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.