Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
for all i know, these could be legitimate computers.

however,

If these are grey market, you will be out a few hundred dollars once something goes wrong (i.e. logic board, LCD, keyboard, etc.), if you can't get warranty replacements on your computer. Dont think going to an authorized service center over a Apple Store will help. They all run off the same site that has computer purchase dates and warranty status. If you have problems with your MBP you will have to stick it through, or sell it at a dramatically lower cost.

people want warranties on computers when they buy off craigslist. They will wonder why a late 08 does not have a warranty when it is supposed to be under one year warranty. To avoid suspicion youd' have to wait a year before selling, and that would defeat the purpose of buying and then reselling for profit.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Buying from that seller is not worth the risk at all. There have been many legitimate auctions at ~$1750-$1800. That's $1550-$1600 after cash back and even better if you use one of those 10% paypal coupons that they've been emailing out, making it a net price of $1450-$1500

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I just sent an email to the seller stating I want mine canceled. Will post back how it goes. :(

if you haven't paid then you'll probably get some negative feedback from the seller because you backed up on the deal, but other than that nothing more will happen

also, these could be legit computers, we just don't know, maybe the guy is very generous or has some other legit deal and is selling them at that price while still getting a profit, we don't know, it's just that the price is so low that it raises concerns, that's all.

D.M.S

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
unfortunately sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedback anymore no matter how much they **** around a seller.

that's all i have to say about this ridiculous situation

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
for all i know, these could be legitimate computers.

however,

If these are grey market, you will be out a few hundred dollars once something goes wrong (i.e. logic board, LCD, keyboard, etc.), if you can't get warranty replacements on your computer.[...]
If by a few hundred you mean likely over $1000, I agree.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
so if I buy a mbp and it doesn't come with a receipt then I risk not being covered by AppleCare? What about sellers that generally sell apple products? I just down want to buy a mbp ( from a different seller) and find out it's DOA or has a major defect and apple won't cover it because I didn't buy it from best buy or amazon or another real retailer

Thanks

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
so if I buy a mbp and it doesn't come with a receipt then I risk not being covered by AppleCare? What about sellers that generally sell apple products? I just down want to buy a mbp ( from a different seller) and find out it's DOA or has a major defect and apple won't cover it because I didn't buy it from best buy or amazon or another real retailer

Thanks

Apple's warranties are serialized so it's pretty safe. If you want you could ask the seller for the serial number before purchasing and then checking the warranty status on Apple's website.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
not if its a grey market item.

i'm just interested to see if indeed these are grey market, the buyers find the OP and demand a refund or worse. Considering how many problems there are with the late 08s.

edit: oh sweet:
"WE DO NOT PROVIDE A RECIEPT WITH WHOLESALE ORDERS! IT IS AT THE MANUFACTURERS DISCRETION TO PROVIDE WARRANTY SERVICE WITHOUT A RECIEPT, PLEASE PURCHASE A WARRANTY THROUGH SQUARETRADE IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED MORE COVERAGE."

no proof of purchase! awesome..

Well, you can check coverage through the apple support website by entering your serial number and them going by the manufacture date. It should also be the same for buying Applecare. Otherwise, it would be hard to get coverage on the macs that will soon be lying underneath various Christmas trees during the next....month? Oh crap, it's almost Christmas!:eek:

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
unfortunately sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedback anymore no matter how much they **** around a seller.

what are you saying ?, ebay has done away with the feedback system ? I don't understand .

also the other guy saying about warrety , like has been said it is all done from serial numbers so no probs there that I can see ,it's just this auction does seem to good to be true , it's a shame the worlds going like this , no trust , anywhere .

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
The only way someone could afford to do this without losing money is if the computers are stolen. Here in the UK, possession of stolen goods is a criminal offence so I hope you enjoy your time in the clink.

Take it from someone who had their NEW MBP stolen w/ the box before I even received it...these are most likely either scams or hot products. No way in Hell someone has THREE of these going for those prices and still be legit. I'd say they're as hot as a camel's ass.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
OP: Come december, please post what happens, I wish you the best of luck, although I'm skeptical, the 99.7% rate does assure me a little that the seller might make good on their claim.

But still, your risk, your loss, your gain. Just have to wait and see which it is.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
not if its a grey market item.

i'm just interested to see if indeed these are grey market, the buyers find the OP and demand a refund or worse. Considering how many problems there are with the late 08s.

edit: oh sweet:
"WE DO NOT PROVIDE A RECIEPT WITH WHOLESALE ORDERS! IT IS AT THE MANUFACTURERS DISCRETION TO PROVIDE WARRANTY SERVICE WITHOUT A RECIEPT, PLEASE PURCHASE A WARRANTY THROUGH SQUARETRADE IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED MORE COVERAGE."

no proof of purchase! awesome..

So basically once you have it, it might as well be stolen because can't prove you bought it anywhere.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm somewhat confident that you will get the MBP. The legality of the item on the other hand though, hard to say.

I've seen people buy brand new high end computers in Mexico City for a quarter of the price, most of them have no idea that they're stolen, but they are.

I'm not saying this one is stolen, we don't know, anyone's free to sell whatever they want at the price they want to.

Well people don't make a habit of buying a brand new product at $2000 to turn around and sell it for $1500 a few days later. The point is to MAKE money of course. I want to hear what happens with these things.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA

You are wrong, eBay encourages you to work it out before posting neutral or negative feedback because you cannot change it after it's done.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Well, you can check coverage through the apple support website by entering your serial number and them going by the manufacture date. It should also be the same for buying Applecare. Otherwise, it would be hard to get coverage on the macs that will soon be lying underneath various Christmas trees during the next....month? Oh crap, it's almost Christmas!:eek:

I know they can check warranty status and whether or not they can buy AC!!!

THey also do NOT do it by manufacture date. They do it by ESTIMATED PURCHASE DATE. AppleCare's start date is NOT based on MFG DATE. This is how they know when the 1 year warranty starts/expires, and whether or not you can buy AC. how bad would it be if it actually was by mfg date, and the computer was sitting on the shelves for months. there goes a few months off the warranty? :rolleyes:

If the computer is not legally purchased via RETAIL OR ONLINE store, how can apple know when it is purchased and input it into the system?

as far as checking serials and warranty status, it is no use in arguing with me...because i work at a service center. I know how warranty repairs are checked and done.

as far as checking serials while they are wrapped, tear a hole in the side. there should be a serial # listed on a sticker somewhere. but that might kill your holiday spirit once you find out you cant buy a warranty! (if they are grey market)

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm sorry, but the answers that they provide just seem rude and defensive. Almost too pushy...

1.) HOW DO YOU SELL THEM SO CHEAP - A.) WHY NOT? HOW MUCH SHOULD WE CHARGE? I'D BE HAPPY TO ACCEPT A HIGHER PAYMENT, AND IN FACT, THE PRICE WILL GO UP IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

2.) WHERE DO YOU GET THEM FROM - A.) WHAT SELLER ANSWERS THAT?

3.) ARE THESE NEW A.) YES THEY ARE NEW AS STATED, IF YOU'D FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE PAYING A HIGHER PRICE, WE WILL RAISE IT. OTHERWISE, PLEASE PURCHASE ELSEWHERE.

4.) DO I HAVE TO WAIT 30 DAYS A.) YES, THATS WHAT THE DESCRIPTION SAYS, AND ALSO WHY ITS TARGETED FOR RESELLERS, NOT INDIVIDUALS WHO WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS OVER THE WAIT TIME.

6.) CAN I GET THIS FASTER A.) ITS OBVIOUS WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE LISTED FOR $2,309, THAT IS THE BEST PRICE WE CAN DO GETTING 1 AT A TIME. IF THIS WONT WORK, PLEASE JUST PURCHASE ELSWHERE. THESE ARE OUR TERMS, WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
#2 is just dandy.

but then this all dissolves any liability on the seller's part.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
there's only a 10% coupon which expires 11/30.

no live cashback atm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.