Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwryn

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
I got my stock black macbook on saturday. Spent the entire day migrating my photos and songs onto it. The computer was great for the first day... though there was notable ilife software instability, as iphoto and itunes would frequently shut themselves off (like once an hour or so, with one instance where iphoto closed itself 3 times in one hour while I was rotating photos).

But now today I can't get the computer to work for more than 5-10 minutes before it gets ****ed up. 4 times a window came up telling me I had to hold the power button and restart the machine. (I was running safari on the apple website looking for widgets all 4 times) 5th time I was on movies.com with no other programs running and the screen froze up and got these corrupted lines across the display and made this continuous pinging sound until I shut the thing down. Now when I jus tried to turn it back on I could hear what I think is the CD drive trying to work consistantly every 1.5 seconds for about 4 minutes, when it stopped.

Now I am going to try turning it on again and see what happens.

LEMON!

Edit: when I try to turn it on, before anything else happens the CD drive makes noise.

Edit: Up 10 minutes... fairly smooth so far... though Safari has closed itself twice and now is refusing to load... Oh, safari loaded... but closed iTunes... then safari closed again. BTW I am writing this problem free on my 3 year old HP P4 while my macbook is refusing to work properly in my lap. If I wasn't leaving the country tomorrow I would return this and get a sony...

Edit: Safari refuses to run... It will almost finish loading the apple default website when it closes and I get the message... Oh great now the computer froze up, got red streaks all across the screen and is making a horrible pinging sound... my ears are going to bleed soon... And I wanted a mac so bad...

Edit: now it won't turn on.

Week 45 out of China, FYI

Edit: its not heat. I let it sit for a half hour and it took me half a dozen attempts to get it to turn on...

Edit: did it again. Played music with no problems for 10 minutes then it started its red lined seizures. Turned back on again quickly this time.

Fortunately, I have all my music on another computer as well. Its more of a time issue, as I am supposed to be AT the airport by 3 tomorrow... My photos are scattered all over hell on 3 different computers and number of cds. All in all I did about 40 gigs of porting to the laptop... damnit. I am trying to get the photos off of it, but it is so hard to run... the thing just shut down on me again a minute ago and I couldnt get it to turn on again...

Maybe I SHOULD get a Sony :)

So I took it in on tuesday, and the guy looked it over, ran a hardware test, and told me that my hdd was screwed up. I didn't get an exact list of issues with it, just that as soon as he saw that my volume header or something was defective, he told me he could give me a new one. The test ended up showing that there were many other things wrong with my hard drive as well.

But fortunately they were cool about it and I got another one before my flight, with just enough time to port my music into it at least. :)

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
honestly, people should just chill out and enjoy their apple's for what they are. yes, there will be flaws (that is just the case now that apple is so poplular and their quantities have increased 3 fold) but i think of the alternative (PC's) and i am willing to deal w/ them.

they are great machines. ;)

One should never accept a faulty product. Especially not in that price range.
A computer should at least last for 2-3 years, and it should at least be working properly when it's new.

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Ahh, the joys of waiting for your brand new toy :D

Mine was handed over to TNT in the Netherlands just 3 hours ago, so I'm just hoping that it will be here before too long. The quoted ETA time on the Apple page has been brought back from the 23rd to the 21st, so I might be in luck :) Anyway, here's to hoping that it will turn up on monday instead of tuesday, don't gather I'll be lucky enough to have it here by today and I don't think they do the rounds on a saturday? Still, it's all good, knowing that it'll be here soon!

krayg

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
UK - South of England
Hmm, after digging around a little I found this great website http://www.apecode.com/appletrack/ which gave me the shipping information that was available. Amazing really that a 3rd party website is able to give me more information than Apple is willing to. Just plain piss poor customer service IMO, but I guess you have to expect that from Apple from time to time :confused:

Anyway, these are the details I was able to get:

14 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Asus Alpha, Shanghai ETA 20 nov 06
14 nov 06 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
13 nov 06 00 04 Picking confirmed, EDI received Asus Alpha, Shanghai
13 nov 06 30 64 Departed from source Asus Alpha, Shanghai
13 nov 06 30 63 handover at supplier Asus Alpha, Shanghai

So there is hope, seems like the problem with long shipping times for Apple is the process of getting it into Europe, frustrating when they haven't got an express shipping option for shipments to f.ex. Denmark. Oh, well, I'm just testy 'cos I'm impatient...

wow, I am in the UK and I just checked that site, and it gives plenty of information, surprising you dont get the same info from apple. Apparently my macbook departed from shanghai today. I hope it comes quick!

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
wow, I am in the UK and I just checked that site, and it gives plenty of information, surprising you dont get the same info from apple. Apparently my macbook departed from shanghai today. I hope it comes quick!

Yup, I was also outraged that Apple can't arese themselves into doing something as simple as this :mad:
Anyway, if you haven't looked into the forums with additional information I can tell you that the really important point is when it says "Accept scanned at EDC", that means that it was received at Daventry for you guys in Britain or at Vernay, NL for us continental people. EDC=European Distribution Center.

At that point it's ready to pick up for the final carrier to bring to your door in approximately 1-4 days... When it's picked up by the final carrier (normally TNT or UPS, but occasionally others) it can take up to 24 hours for the tracking information to update on their website, or in some cases like mine, the tracking page will come up, but without any information or ETA estimates, which will then update later...

tedster

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Orlando
It's Here...

My machine just showed and I am currently typing this note using it. This is my first Mac ever - haven't even really ever used one before. Wow - the mouse is different! No clicking by tapping the track pad... is this is a setting? This is a beautiful computer.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
My machine just showed and I am currently typing this note using it. This is my first Mac ever - haven't even really ever used one before. Wow - the mouse is different! No clicking by tapping the track pad... is this is a setting? This is a beautiful computer.

its my first mac too - im still learning... cntrl alt del doesnt work for macs, neither does alt f4 - gotta index those commands elsewhere.

the widgets are really cool!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
This Is The MacBook Thread Tedster • But You Have My Dream Machine

SuperDrive 8X
17" Glossy Widescreen Display
I'm not sure how you got over here where everyone is reporting receipt of their MacBooks NOT their MacBook Pros, but since you're here, how does that 200GB Toshiba feel? You have exactly the config I have been thinking about. Notice it being too slow? Or is it as responsive as other smaller "faster" drives?

Tell us how you feel about the glossy screen please?

The 17" Receipt Report Thread is here Tedster.

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006

There are a few settings you can set for the trackpad in System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Trackpad. You want to check the clicking option under trackpad gestures (tap trackpad with two fingers for right click is a cool feature)

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Hey all,

17 nov 06 86 14 booking slot obtained Asus Alpha, Shanghai 18 nov 06
17 nov 06 30 10 departed direct NLAMS07 20 nov 06
17 nov 06 40 69 accept scanned at EDC NLAMS07 20 nov 06
15 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai 20 nov 06
15 nov 06 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
13 nov 06 00 04 Picking confirmed, EDI received Asus Alpha, Shanghai
13 nov 06 30 63 handover at supplier Asus Alpha, Shanghai 20 nov 06
13 nov 06 30 64 Departed from source Asus Alpha, Shanghai 20 nov 06

Thats what the tracking site says, but to be truely honest i don't understand it... does the ETA mean the time its going to be with me...or the ETA of the stage being complete.

Please help as i can't stand the wait any longer :(

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
The important part (as I wrote a few posts up) is that it was scanned at the EDC (European Distribution Center). That means that it's sitting in either Daventry (if you're in the UK) or in Vernay, NL, if you're on the continent. When it's there TNT should be picking it up before too long, and it should be with you in 1-4 business days. If you press the reference number in orange on the apecode page it will show you whether it's been picked up by TNT or not...

*Edit

BTW it looks like our computers shipped on the same plane, so yours would probably have been picked up by TNT already, as mine was picked up at 8 am this morning. Check with your reference number on the TNT page as it may be there already...

austerlitz

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
Order/Shipment

:eek:
2.0 White C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 120 GB HD

Ordered: 9-NOV

FedEx Info:
Nov 17, 2006 10:57 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
Nov 16, 2006 4:16 PM Left origin SUZHOU CN
12:57 PM Picked up SUZHOU CN
10:33 AM Package data transmitted to FedEx

I am in Boston. Can't wait to get it!!! I'm hoping Monday, but it'll probably be Tuesday.

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
It really is amazing isn't it :D

Mine showed that it was shipped from Eindhoven an hour and 15 minutes ago, so maybe I'll have it with me soon :D

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Gah, went to get my eyes examed this morning, came home to find the FedEx tag on the door. Their website said it'd be delivered at 1030a, liars! :) (yes yes, I'm not being serious). So gotta go camp out at the depot at 6pm to pick it up. Hopefully my eyes won't still be dilated by then. Otherwise I'll complain about the screen or something...

Is there anything like at "Things to do when you get your new computer" thread around? I'm just used to doing things like hammering a new system to make sure it's stable.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
Gah, went to get my eyes examed this morning, came home to find the FedEx tag on the door. Their website said it'd be delivered at 1030a, liars! :) (yes yes, I'm not being serious). So gotta go camp out at the depot at 6pm to pick it up. Hopefully my eyes won't still be dilated by then. Otherwise I'll complain about the screen or something...

um, you shouldnt be driving w/dilated pupils.

CeCe

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Canada
hmmm, apparently this shipment is going from Alaska to Memphis TN, then either Toronto or Winnipeg to clear customs, and then back to western Canada... WTF?!

Apple saves money by doing this those cheap bastards!

My MB went from Suzhou to Anchorage to Memphis to Mississauga (Ontario) then I guess it's heading over to Vancouver. It basically made two triangles. Kinda sucks that Vancouver is just between Anchorage and Memphis, but the estimated arrival is on the 20th.

Has anyone gotten a delivery from FedEx on the weekend? Do they deliver on the weekend?

FreshMess

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
Got my blackbook today and it is beautiful.

HOWEVER.....I see a dead pixel :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I take it back to the store, can they fix it? Its near the center and now I can't stop staring at it.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
Got my blackbook today and it is beautiful.

HOWEVER.....I see a dead pixel :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I take it back to the store, can they fix it? Its near the center and now I can't stop staring at it.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but i think u need 2 have a minimum of 7 dead pixels to exchange your new laptop. correct me if im wrong, pls!

nickdj

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
not sure if it has to be 7 but i brought my macbook with 2 dead pixels and they said that many have it and it did not warrant an exchange. I dont know about you but that is piss poor. I just paid $1500 for a laptop with a dead pixel, loose cover, and a gap in the casing and thats not enough to warrant a return. i have never had a computer with a dead pixel, but a company that is supposed to make qualit products is gonna tell me its normal.

newno55

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
It's here!!

Ok, first of all... thats TOTAL ******** to hear about your MB with dead pixles. What i can suggest for you to do is contact apple, and immidately ask to speak with CUSTOMER RELATIONS. These are the people that have the power to wave policies, and essentially give you free stuff. I have a COUPLE of out of warranty iBook G3's with logic board problems which they fixed FREE OF CHARGE, even after the 3 year mark. So i would highily suggest speaking with them. By nice tho, they are really nice people who just want to keep you happy. They not once gave me the "well im sorry sir, that is our policy" answer.

Anyhoo, my MB core 2 is here. It arrived 10 days early! (standard shipping off the apple site):eek:

It runs and looks perfect too. Only comment i have to make is the fans do get a little loud when you 'try' to do anything grapics related. I had the iTunes visualizer on for about 5 mintes, and thats all it took to get the fans running on max. They only stayed on for a little while after i closed iTunes (like a minute or 2) but they stayed on the entire duration of the visuals.

Anyways, lets see if i can get some pics up for you guys. I know i almost pissed myself when the FedEx guy knocked at the door!

Attachments

• DSC01503.jpg
    DSC01503.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC01504.jpg
    DSC01504.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01505.jpg
    DSC01505.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01506.jpg
    DSC01506.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01508.jpg
    DSC01508.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 116

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
not sure if it has to be 7 but i brought my macbook with 2 dead pixels and they said that many have it and it did not warrant an exchange. I dont know about you but that is piss poor. I just paid $1500 for a laptop with a dead pixel, loose cover, and a gap in the casing and thats not enough to warrant a return. i have never had a computer with a dead pixel, but a company that is supposed to make qualit products is gonna tell me its normal.

I can see them saying no because of their pixel policy, but if you're in a position to just return it for a refund, you can always do that. When I bought my Dell 20" display, I returned 2 before I got one good enough to keep, but I was in the position to return the display for a refund if I wanted to within the first 30 days.

As far as your case though, as the other poster said, that's a defect. I'd call Applecare tomorrow (1 800 275 2273) and talk to someone. Though I notice that picture you listed is your own, is it as bad as that one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.