Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Welp, I went and picked mine up from FedEx, I'm pretty impressed. I'm impressed how small the box is for it compared to my old iBook's. The magsafe is pretty nifty, the first time it practically jumped from my hand to the port. I'll spend all Saturday loading it up with software while watching football. :)

willthiessen

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Virgil, ON, Canada
My MB went from Suzhou to Anchorage to Memphis to Mississauga (Ontario) then I guess it's heading over to Vancouver. It basically made two triangles. Kinda sucks that Vancouver is just between Anchorage and Memphis, but the estimated arrival is on the 20th.

Has anyone gotten a delivery from FedEx on the weekend? Do they deliver on the weekend?

I've been trying to figure that out.. But I'm not sure they do.
I live about an hour and a bit from Mississauga, and I would be tempted to pick mine up if I could do that on a Saturday.

Will

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
wow, I am in the UK and I just checked that site, and it gives plenty of information, surprising you dont get the same info from apple. Apparently my macbook departed from shanghai today. I hope it comes quick!

I'm in the UK and entered my 80+ code and nothing came up :(

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I ordered a 2GB white MB the day the C2D models were announced. It arrived about a week later, one day ahead of schedule.

The bottom line is that it's a thing of beauty and works flawlessly. It's quiet; I can hear the fan, yes, but it's a soothing little sound that blends into the background. It runs very cool. The upper left corner gets oh so slightly warm, but it's much cooler than the other notebooks I've used. The bottom does get warmer, so I wouldn't put it directly on my lap. I use a wooden lap desk from Levenger.

The screen is great: very sharp, no graininess. The viewing angle is fairly narrow, so be sure to adjust the angle of the display properly. The trackpad is responsive. The sound is surprisingly good, even though I have no idea where the speakers are :) The SuperDrive isn't silent, but it's by no means loud.

I did a clean install of Tiger and saved about 8GB over the default install. It took ~15 minutes to verify the DVD, then 30 minutes for the actual install.

I almost bought a MBP instead, but I'm glad I stuck with the MB. It's one snappy machine, I love the size, and I'm getting battery charges in the 4 hour range. I expect to happy with this notebook for years to come. People who are waiting for the next round of MBs are crazy, IMO :)

shane0mac

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2006
alberta, canadia!
My MB went from Suzhou to Anchorage to Memphis to Mississauga (Ontario) then I guess it's heading over to Vancouver. It basically made two triangles. Kinda sucks that Vancouver is just between Anchorage and Memphis, but the estimated arrival is on the 20th.

Has anyone gotten a delivery from FedEx on the weekend? Do they deliver on the weekend?

I don't think they deliver on weekends. :confused:

I still cant grasp why they would ship these all the way across the continent before back tracking and sending them back to the west coast.
Boy I love waiting :rolleyes:

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark

When did you order your unit? Sometimes it takes some extra time (up to 24 hours) for it to show up. Besides it has to ship first, so if you only ordered a few days ago it probably won't have shipped yet. The other possibility is if it was shipped directly via UPS or some other service like that instead of shipping via bulk shipments. Then you would have to check it on that carrier's site instead.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland

They were doing some maintenance to their systems yesterday. I was able to track an order on Friday, but yesterday nothing came up (not even a message saying they were doing maintenance - bad). Now I can see my tracking information again - though if I were to beleive it represented the current status of my shpment then it has been airborn for the last 50+ hours...

In my case I suspect my order is sitting around in a airport warehouse waiting to be processed and shipped on to Daventree on Monday/Tuesday. That puts my order about another 10-15 days (so much for 7 working days Apple - try more like 14) from delivery based on previous experience (all indications are they use pack-snails for UK delivery).

Thankfully Apple will be opening a new store near me next year, so for any furure Macs I will not have to put up with their piss-poor shipping processes and tracking systems.

If it were not for the fact that the two previous Apple machines I purchased have proven to be really excelent I would have given up on them and gone for Dell and Windows just because shipping has been so aweful. The build estimates have been accurate every time, but the shipping and delivery estmates have always been way out and order tracking has been nothing short of a joke when it comes to trying to find out what is happening.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey guys,

I'm still waiting on mine too. I ordered it Thursday 9th and it shipped last week. It also as been airborne for a long time but I just think it's probably cos it changes plane or something. My ETA for daventry is 21st (day after my 20th birthday...) so I'm hoping to get it on the 23rd/24th. This has been the slowest order I've ever made online - I thought apple was going forward but obviously their logistics need revising.

The thing is I got this machine pretty soon after it came out (24 hours) and I wanted to be a first with one... now it seems I'll be a last.

I'd have paid for faster postage... why isn't there an option?

rand0m3r

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
hey just wondering guys, is the new C2D macbook still plagued with the problem of low-volume coming from the speakers? ta.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Speakers?

hey just wondering guys, is the new C2D macbook still plagued with the problem of low-volume coming from the speakers? ta.

As far as I can tell, my C2D MB has no problems with the speakers. They seem pretty loud to me. Pretty much just as loud as my friends Powerbook, his is a bit louder, but not by much.

The Stig

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Yup, this site is only relevant for Europeans.

This is due to differences in the way the computers are shipped. For Europe computers are sent in bulk to distribution centers in either the Netherlands (for the continent) or in England for Britain. When in these distribution centers the order will be merged with any other accessories you might have ordered at the same time. When all parts are ready there the order will be sent via TNT or UPS carrier service. This works great when in the middle of product cycles because there will be a stock built up in the distribution center and thus the parts will be sent quickly. However when working with custom configurations or in the beginning or end of product cycles shipping times will soar, to for example the 14-15 days quoted for me, also with no possibility of quick shipping.
For America computers are sent individually from the plant directly via the shipping services, which mean that accessories and computers will ship independently, but also that it will probably be a bit faster most of the time.

--Spacemagic

Just something that explains why it's like that, from my post on page 5 in the thread. For Apple it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an opportunity for quick shipping in Europe normally, due to the fact that it will ship as fast as possible when there's a stock built up in the EDCs.

However I'm as frustrated about this as the next guy. When they are in these special situations with new product launches all over the place, it would be befitting to have a possibility for quick shipping. I mean, for us MB guys it's frustrating, but just think if you were waiting for your 17" MBP and it was a week or more late in production, and then you'd have to wait for another 1-2 weeks for it to get to your door, because of the half-assed shipping methods Apple uses? Then add in a truly god-awful tracking service and there's potential for a few psychotherapy sessions...

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
--Spacemagic

Just something that explains why it's like that, from my post on page 5 in the thread. For Apple it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an opportunity for quick shipping in Europe normally, due to the fact that it will ship as fast as possible when there's a stock built up in the EDCs.

However I'm as frustrated about this as the next guy. When they are in these special situations with new product launches all over the place, it would be befitting to have a possibility for quick shipping. I mean, for us MB guys it's frustrating, but just think if you were waiting for your 17" MBP and it was a week or more late in production, and then you'd have to wait for another 1-2 weeks for it to get to your door, because of the half-assed shipping methods Apple uses? Then add in a truly god-awful tracking service and there's potential for a few psychotherapy sessions...

Definitely.

Some marketing rules claim that the more 'luxury' the product, the longer a consumer is willing to wait for it. Well a MacBook, although to us fans appears to be a luxury, it is after all Apple's lower end computer, which should ship ASAP. Those who ordered their 17" MBP on the one hand are thinking, I paid so much and I cant even get it in 3 weeks! But on the other hand are thinking 'this is a really special machine which sets me out from the crowd and i'm willing to wait a little longer.' If Apple are to go mass market with their consumer laptop they should have at least distributed an amount to the central hubs across the world pre-release so they could cover demand.

I'm having to do my german presentation on Overhead projector acetate tomorrow.. how 1980s.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
When did you order your unit? Sometimes it takes some extra time (up to 24 hours) for it to show up. Besides it has to ship first, so if you only ordered a few days ago it probably won't have shipped yet. The other possibility is if it was shipped directly via UPS or some other service like that instead of shipping via bulk shipments. Then you would have to check it on that carrier's site instead.

I ordered on the 8th and is taking a long time. Tracking started to appear now

000020 W80685392 1 MA700B/A 1 17 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06
16 nov 06 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
14 nov 06 30 63 handover at supplier Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06
14 nov 06 00 04 Picking confirmed, EDI received Asus Alpha, Shanghai
14 nov 06 30 64 Departed from source Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
I ordered on the 12th. Tracking info came up on the 15th

17 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06

JPT

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
I got mine Friday and I ordered it that monday :D :D :D I love it!

I just can't wait to get back to my moms house so I can get Bootcamp with Windows so I can test the speed on familiar grounds...

Anyway, here is my FedEx shipment info. Odd thing is I guess it went to LA or SF or somewhere down there before it reached my location, but it didn't show on the tracker >.<

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 94

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Which other tracking sites are there?
I cant believe that my MacBook is still sitting somewhere in China :(

latest line is:
17 nov 06, 32 55, flight departed, Asus Alpha, Shanghai, 20 nov 06

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
I ordered on the 8th and is taking a long time. Tracking started to appear now

000020 W80685392 1 MA700B/A 1 17 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06

I also ordered on the 8th, about 40 minutes after the store was up again. My apecode tracking was as follows:

16 nov 06 90 75 truck arrived at final destination Asus Alpha, Shanghai 16 nov 06
16 nov 06 86 14 booking slot obtained NLAMS07 16 nov 06
16 nov 06 30 10 departed direct NLAMS07 20 nov 06
16 nov 06 40 69 accept scanned at EDC NLAMS07 20 nov 06
14 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai 20 nov 06
14 nov 06 32 05 Flight Booked Kuehne & Nagel Shanghai
13 nov 06 00 04 Picking confirmed, EDI received Asus Alpha, Shanghai
13 nov 06 30 64 Departed from source Asus Alpha, Shanghai 20 nov 06
13 nov 06 30 63 handover at supplier Asus Alpha, Shanghai 20 nov 0

Then I was able to begin tracking with the TNT tracker which shows the following information:

19 Nov 2006 10:50 Kolding Import Received
19 Nov 2006 09:45 Kolding Import Received
17 Nov 2006 23:16 Eindhoven Shipped From Originating Depot
17 Nov 2006 17:18 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
17 Nov 2006 17:16 Arnhem Hub Consignment Passed Through Transit Point
17 Nov 2006 16:46 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
17 Nov 2006 16:44 Arnhem Hub Consignment Passed Through Transit Point

This is going to come to my door tomorrow, so all in all it's going to be here 2 days faster than projected, not too shabby really. Anyway, you're basically in the dark until it shows "Accept scanned at EDC", because that's the time they will basically hand it over to the company that's going to deliver it to your door. Kuehne & Nagel is simply a non-dedicated shipper who transports lots of other goods as well as the Apple products and the tracking stats aren't really supposed to be consumer friendly, since they basically aren't offering consumer services, but are more targeted towards companies. When TNT or UPS (or any other shipping company) gets it in Europe, that's when things start to move along.

However, to answer your question, yes, it does look like it's still in China, but do remember that this tracking service isn't even really supposed to be looked at by us, the customers, hence they aren't really in any way up to date, so it could be that it's on its way to Europe this moment, especially when coupled with Macsattack's data, which would certainly imply that your mac would be on the same flight as his. However, they don't really tell you anything about these things so it's all guesses...

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Which other tracking sites are there?
I cant believe that my MacBook is still sitting somewhere in China :(

latest line is:
17 nov 06, 32 55, flight departed, Asus Alpha, Shanghai, 20 nov 06

Your Macbook is definately not sitting in China, it's on its way to the European Distribution Center right now. If you look at my data you will se that it took only 2 days to get it to Europe after it flew out from China, however the information that it was indeed Accept scanned at the EDC only came up more than 24 hours later though, so maybe it's a day or two slower than when mine shipped or it might just be that it's not been updated yet.
Believe me I now everything about hitting submit on that apecode page every 15 minutes hoping for some updates :rolleyes: but there's nothing to do, but wait it out and it'll get there eventually :)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Your Macbook is definately not sitting in China, it's on its way to the European Distribution Center right now. If you look at my data you will se that it took only 2 days to get it to Europe after it flew out from China, however the information that it was indeed Accept scanned at the EDC only came up more than 24 hours later though, so maybe it's a day or two slower than when mine shipped or it might just be that it's not been updated yet.

Thanks a lot, I hope it will arrive sometime this week. Someone guessed it would be Wednesday, but I am not betting on it. However, I hope for a sweeeeeet weekend :D

Greetings to Denmark from rainy Germany, btw! ;)

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
I am about to splurge on a C2D Macbook. However, before I do I have a few questions. If I purchase in store, would they allow me to take out the machine and make sure there are no dead pixels, casing issues, before I purchase? Secondly, what is the best way to transfer information from one computer to the other i.e. itunes library, documents, email... etc? Do they perform this in store free of charge? Finally, how necessary does everyone feel upgrading to 2 GB of RAM is? I will be using FCP, and MSOffice. Because if 2gb will really make a world of difference I will be ordering online...

Thanks!

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
I am about to splurge on a C2D Macbook. However, before I do I have a few questions. If I purchase in store, would they allow me to take out the machine and make sure there are no dead pixels, casing issues, before I purchase?

Thanks!

Nope. You'll have to purchase the item before you open it up. If there are problems with the MacBook, you can try to convince the Apple employees that you want an exchange for another one.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Yes The 2GB Upgrade Is Very Necessary For Top Speed & Longer Battery Life

I am about to splurge on a C2D Macbook. However, before I do I have a few questions.

Secondly, what is the best way to transfer information from one computer to the other i.e. itunes library, documents, email... etc? Do they perform this in store free of charge?
Do it yourself when it first boots up with a FW cable between your old Mac and the new one. You get prompted to do this on the first boot after registering it. Since you need to order online to save money on the 2GB RAM upgrade, the store is out of the loop.
Finally, how necessary does everyone feel upgrading to 2 GB of RAM is? I will be using FCP, and MSOffice. Because if 2gb will really make a world of difference I will be ordering online...
Extremely necessary and you should order online to save money on the 2GB upgrade which is very reasonable when you order online. DO NOT order a bigger HD bacause they are overcharging for them and you can buy and put a bigger one in yourself in 5 minutes for way less than they want for an upgrade.

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Thanks a lot, I hope it will arrive sometime this week. Someone guessed it would be Wednesday, but I am not betting on it. However, I hope for a sweeeeeet weekend :D

Well, if you're in Germany it'll probably be a bit faster than when it has to go to Denmark... My time from "flight departed" until I will have my Macbook later today was 6 days, so wednesday if it's a bit faster and otherwise the 23th/24th would seem like a reasonable guesses :)

Greetings to Denmark from rainy Germany, btw! ;)

Cheers :) Hope you'll get your new baby as quickly as possible!

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
it is taking so long, even though I ordered on the 8th Nov in the UK. The tracking still says

17 nov 06 32 55 flight departed Asus Alpha, Shanghai 21 nov 06

Is it in the UK or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.