GPS Problems - iPhone 7 or iOS10?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fireproof!, Sep 20, 2016.

1. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

This just gives more evidence to someone else's comment earlier in the thread that said the Intel modem is interfering with the GPS.

2. patrickplaggenborg macrumors newbie

Awesome. Sounds good. Glad they swapped it without any difficulty.

What is the Axxxx model number of your new iPhone with the working GPS?

Would you be able to test using Strava or any other GPS tracking app that displays a tracked line of your movement?

3. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    Do we know for sure this poster you are referencing is using an Intel modem equipped phone?

4. Occamoo macrumors newbie

Occamoo

Hi,

Just seen that iSmoothRun have posted an update saying 'partial fix for iPhone 7 gps issues'. Will be interesting to see if it helps

Paul

5. Break81 macrumors member

Yes Runtastic

6. gazonk, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

gazonk macrumors member

Thank you. Maybe I should ask for yet another replacement, then.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---
    I beta tested this version. I haven't had time to try the released version yet, and I don't know if it's any different, but I got better results with the beta than with the previous version (or with Strava). It's an improvement, but it would still be a significant step back from my iPhone 6.

I also tried the new Nike app the other day. It's a horror of an app (s l o o o w), I think Nike have lost it (it used to be good), but it seems to give slightly better results with iPhone 7 than most other apps (except maybe the new iSmoothRun) since they smooth the tracks heavily.

7. Gomer macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with a 6 on ATT in the metro DC area. It was intermittent and coincided with the release of iOS 10. It is happening with regular frequency now and has rendered navigation non-functional. So I'm leaning towards this being some sort of bug in the software that is attacking select pieces of hardware.

Went so far as to replace the wifi/GPS antenna and cable on the logic board with no change in performance =(

Doubt Apple is going to anything to help me. They need to get their house in order, stat.

8. TehRoester macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    I recently noticed that my location on my iPhone 7 (128gb) jumps around like everyone else described here... however, after turning off wifi my phone can't determine my location at all which led to me thinking that the gps doesn't work at all because it shouldn't be affected by wifi right? So apparently my phone can only determine my location by using nearby wifi because it also doesn't work when I'm outside and not close to any city.. any ideas what could cause this? I see a lot of people here have issues with gps not working properly but I haven't read anything about it not working at all.

9. gazonk macrumors member

That doesn't sound right at all - it does indeed sound like your GPS doesn't work at all. I'd return the phone, but first you might want to reinstall it as a new phone (not from backup) and see if there's a difference.

10. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Seems like my iPhone 7 GPS is also quite inaccurate compared to my S7 Edge :( I hope it's a software issue, i.e. easy to fix.

11. gazonk macrumors member

Just FYI I gave up using iPhone 7 with running apps and bought a Garmin gps running watch. The GPS unit on my phone, which Apple has replaced 3 times, is good enough for general map and navigation usage, but every running app I tried would overestimate the length of my runs by at least 4%. The Garmin watch is at least as accurate as my old iPhone 6 and was probably a good investment for an eager runner like me anyway. So now I can finally enjoy everything else about my new iPhone, which I like a lot (although it's not exactly revolutionary compared to iPhone 6) :)

12. TehRoester macrumors newbie

So I talked to a guy at the apple store today and he told me that apparently Wifi and bluetooth have to be turned on in order to make gps work on the iphone 7 because it's located in the same chip. He ran a diagnostic tool on my phone and it didn't show any problems with my iphone but I'm a little bit sceptical about that 'solution'. I had bluetooth and wifi turned on for the entire day and haven't noticed any improvements. On the other hand I'm in no way an expert regarding iphone hardware so does anyone have any comments on that? My phone can never get my location when I'm not close to any civilisation (bluetooth off/wifi on) but i haven't had the chance to try it with bluetooth turned on. Guess I'll try that once I get the chance but I doubt it'll change anything.

13. gazonk macrumors member

Utter hogwash. I've tested with and without, and there's not much difference, except that in places with poor GPS reception (like I have now, indoors at my office), I get better positioning with wifi turned on.

14. TehRoester macrumors newbie

I went back to the apple store today and they replaced it.

15. Occamoo macrumors newbie

Occamoo

Exactly the same as what I did, bought a garmin 620.

I had my iPhone 7 replaced by apple, but both over read on distance by about 5%, but have been ok for general gps use.

Frustrating as my old 6 was fine. Feel very let down by Apple

16. Mosaab Inc Suspended

Mosaab Inc

there are a number of things you can try to get your GPS to work again on your Iphone
    i suggest going through them in this order to determine what the cause might be :

make sure you have a good signal
    check the app's location permissions
    refresh your location services
    reset all location network data
    restore you device

17. gazonk, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017

gazonk macrumors member

All this is good advice, but it won't do magic. And magic is what you need if you want to transform the subpar GPS hardware of iPhone 7 into something comparable with earlier models (or other current models, the iPhone SE is fine AFAIK).

18. Omegaspeedy macrumors newbie

Just bought a 7Plus which I love, but I found a problem with the compass and Google Maps which had me investigating and I've found this excellent thread. My problem is the compass is always randomly out by up to 180 degrees but mostly around 20-40degrees. When using Google maps, the map orientation is also out, so if I'm navigating by foot around the city, the picture is wrong for the street orientation. This phone is new 14/01/17 and fully updated with 10.2. I'm tempted to send it back.

19. chrfr macrumors 603

Does the compass work correctly with Apple Maps?

20. Omegaspeedy macrumors newbie

Just tried and Apple maps has no sync with the compass when navigating, only when there is no active plan. Never been fond of that app.

21. eddie.mr macrumors newbie

Did you find a fix for this? I have been having the same issue. I see the locationd service crashing in diagnostics even when setup as new.
    Planning to take it to the apple store.

22. chrfr macrumors 603

The point of that question was to verify that the compass works as expected in another application. Did you calibrate the compass in Google Maps? https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6145351?hl=en
    Check the settings at Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and be sure "Compass Calibration" is enabled.
    If you did all that and there's no success, then it probably makes sense to delete the app and reinstall.

23. weendex macrumors newbie

I've had similar GPS issues on my iPhone 7+. Replaced the phone at the apple store, GPS is still crap :(

I miss my 6S+ :(

24. Occamoo macrumors newbie

Occamoo

Ok so after some testing it seems that the gps distance accuracy issue is only a problem through 3rd party apps.

If I use the apple workout app (on Apple Watch but series 1 so still using the iPhone gps) then the distance measured seems to be accurate.

This seems to suggest it's software not hardware? Although obviously something has changed for 3rd party apps to have problems since iPhone 7

Paul

25. gazonk macrumors member

It might do a lot of interpolation, my guess is that you might get too short distances on e.g. winding paths.