Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by -SD-, Aug 4, 2010.

1. -SD- macrumors 6502

Sony has revealed the European GT5 Signature and Collector's Editions.

The Signature Edition will retail for €179.99 :eek:, and includes:

* Metal sculpted box finished in SLS AMG Obsidian Black
    * Exclusive GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car
    * GT leather wallet containing Signature Edition competition entry card
    * Branded 4GB USB key with Polyphony/Mercedes-Benz trailer
    * GT branded metal key fob
    * Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the beautiful cars and locations of Gran Turismo 5
    * 200 page Apex drivers magazine with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies and more

You'll also get five ‘ChromeLine’ Collector’s Edition cars plus six ‘Stealth’ vehicles and, most impressively, the chance to win a Merc SLS AMG.

[​IMG]

The Collector's Edition will retail for a much more reasonable €79.99, but you only get the Apex mag, artcards and the ChromeLine cars.

So then, anyone going for the Signature?

:apple:

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I'll pass on the game altogether.

What it does, Gran Turismo does to perfection....I'm just really not into what it does.

I'm more of an arcade racing guy, so I'll stick with Burnout Paradise until it gets a worthy sequel!

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

November, 2, 2010.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They finally announced the release date at E3 2010.
    I don't think I'll be getting it. I bought GT PSP and its as if the developers actively tried to suck all the enjoyment out of the series.

6. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

My thoughts exactly. The original GT was the game that got me started with the PlayStation brand, and sadly it is GT5 that will be causing the end of that connection. What started off as an amazing RACING game has slowly evolved into something that just does not interest me in the slightest.

7. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I think I will only enjoy the game should I buy a very expensive racing wheel. I already have the seat setup.... a racing game using the standard controller is just odd.

Pre-ordered the US Collectors edition, but now I would like to change that for the UK edition... I am ready to drop my pre-order should the multiplayer review prove lacking, and hopefully they give darn good penalties for hack driving online (DQ, through pit lane etc) Rubbing IS NOT racing! That's for drivers who do not have control of their car.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i am looking forward to this game. i will be getting the US version though. i haven't pre-ordered or anything, but i still might

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen several people saying that it's starting to be a car encyclopedia rather than an enjoyable racing game. I kinda agree with that. My last experience with GT is GT2 on PS1 I think but I'm looking forward on this game. Hopefully it will be what I expect, a good, solid driving game. I hope they have spent time on the actual driving too, not just with the cars and 3D stuff etc

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

me too!! i am So excited! i wont pre order or anything, might save for a steering wheel though. :)

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't know, i still think the Gran Turismo series is the best as far as real driving simulation. by far. and the number of copies sold backs that up

yeah i still might pre-order the special edition one. i'm not sure yet

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

In terms of driving/racing sim, any SimBin racer wipes the floor with the GT series.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

given that its been out for 10 years, i think it would have sold a fair few no matter what :rolleyes: i preferred GT3 A-Spec over anything else.

do we have an official date yet? or will that be pushed back too :D

14. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

If sales are the judge of a games greatness, then Mario Kart on the Wii is the greatest racing game of all time. No doubt about it. The number of copies sold backs that up. Sorry GT.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Can't tell if you're joking or not. But the Mario Kart series has almost always been very highly rated.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Can GT be scaled for casual driving and by chance any splitscreen offline coop?
    Thanks.

17. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I love the Mario Kart series. I spent many hours playing, the then brand new, MK64, and its Battle Mode back in college (Block Fort FTW!). I was just making a point. The sales of a game don't mean anything, other than it sold well. Best is a subjective term in which sales, an objective term, doesn't relate to. The GT series is a great selling series, there is no doubt about that. But, just because it sells a ton doesn't make it the best racing game. Again, if we used that logic, Wii Sports would be the greatest sports game ever, ahead of Madden, Tiger Woods, etc.

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have never heard of SimBin, but looking at the website, it doesn't look bad. do any of their games work in Mac OS X?

yes it has been out for awhile, but they still haven't released the 5th game yet (not including demos). so either way, there's only 4 versions of the game out. at over 57 million copies sold, i'd say they sold a fair few...

and yeah they have been known to push back dates, i sure hope that they don't

mario kart is a different type of racing game, geared towards a different audience. i like mario kart as well.

i'm not saying sales are the only factor, but when you get to the level of Gran Turismo, that's when vendors start making real cars just for the game...

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Nope, just Windows unfortunately.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And they aint half brilliant. GT reminds me of a casualised WTCC (or at least the rally tracks). It's a very serious toy for very serious sim drivers.

21. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

No, there has been 8 Gran Turismo games totaling 56M. If you only count the 4 full release titles, you get 46M.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html
    So, I guess you aren't going to count the Need For Speed series either, are you? As a series, it is already over 100M sales.
    Name for me one real car that was created just for GT. Not a concept car, a REAL car.

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Yamauchi helped design the GT-R i believe. Idk how much he contributed, but he had his hands in it.

I have my collector's edition preordered already. I'm really pumped for this game.

I dont think the signature edition is available in the US, is it? It would be $250 over here :eek:

23. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

24. Reventon macrumors 6502

The Signature Edition is only available in Europe and Australia/NZ and not North America.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1110501p1.html

That said, I've already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition when they announced its release. (I probably wouldn't get it anyway, I'm not to keen on spending $300 for a game when I could get a Logitech G27 for roughly the same price). I love the GT series. The graphics look AMAZING and I can't wait for November to roll around. :D

25. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

GTR1/2 are brilliant games and the definition of Sim racing.