Carrier Grandfathered AT&T unlimited data or 10 Gb Mobile Share

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eddiexhart, Feb 21, 2014.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Does anybody still have the grandfathered unlimited data from AT&T?
    I still do but I've been finding myself tempted to switch to the new mobile share.
    Mainly for the tethering to my iPad Air.
    Has anybody done this yet? Thoughts?

2. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Don't do it.

You'll regret it if you do.

I haven't done it, because i know i'll regret it if i do.

3. Deguello macrumors 6502

I gave up the unlimited plan to save $135 a month on four smartphone lines. That'll pay for a lot of overage GBs if it comes to that, which it almost certainly won't.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do it.

You'll won't regret it at all.

I did it because I knew I wouldn't regret it.

:D

Seriously -- it's a personal decision. Look at your past data usage. Consider realistically how your usage might change in the future. Model the costs and expectations and see whether it makes sense for your specific usage pattern.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this is the best advise. 10gb of data is unlimited for most people. Anything over 2gb for me personally is basically unlimited since I hover around 1.5gb.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ever since switching to the 10GB plan, I've been trying to burn through as much data as I possibly can. So far, I'm at 3.8GB and my cycle ends tomorrow.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, I did it. I don't think I ever went over 2 GB of data usage since I had my phone, so tethering to my iPad was more valuable to me than unlimited data. Plus they just turned on WiFi for personal devices at my job, so now my data usage is even less. Really wasn't a hard decision when the new plans were announced.

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Switched from original iPhone Unlimited Data when they first came out with the Mobile Share plans. Couldn't be happier. Have saved tons of money over the years, and between my iPhone, my iPad, and then I brought my mother on my plan with her iPhone... we can't seem to use our 10 GB if we try. And we both avidly use music streaming and Netflix on occasion.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I dropped the unlimited and went 10GB do not regret it because under the Unlimited I could not tether, and now I can with 3 Smartphones I pay $145 with 10GB and we all tether and never go past 4gb each month, rather save on the monthly besides now they drop your speeds after 5gb of lte usage on Unlimited plans, so what's the point? They will all DO away with the Unlimited Plans soon enough.

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

unlimited also has throttled speed after 5 gig. family share does not

11. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Swore I would never drop my unlimited. 10GB family share became available. Switched. Saving $50 plus per month. 3 phones have barely used 1GB in the 1st month. Absolutely worth it to me. Heck, with all the wfi available now, I could probably live on 2GB per month.

No brainer for me.

12. blarivee macrumors 6502

It really depends on how much you'd be saving. Personally I'd keep the unlimited. I don't have to worry about overages or constantly checking the data usage to make sure I don't go over the limit. If AT&T implements a rollover data like they did with the minutes, it may be worth considering.

13. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I would keep your unlimited. The 10GB mobile share is a good deal if you're with AT&T next, BYOP or buy a phone at full price.

Attached Files:

14. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

My contract expires in September and I was able to get the 10GB with $15 a line last week. I think it's worth it. I am a heavy data user so I hope 10GB is enough lol. I just hope if I get a new 2 year contract this year that the lines wouldn't jump an extra $15.

15. outie2k macrumors regular

It wouldn't jump an extra $15, it jumps an extra $25 to $40.

$40 is what you'd pay if you buy a new subsidized phone with 2-yr contract when your contract expires, under this Mobile Share Value 10GB plan.

To keep $15, you need to use Next, keep your current phone, or buy your new phone at full price.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Check your usage online. That's what I did - wanted tethering so I switched to a 5GB plan (not mobile share). Have had no problem up to this point. Looked at my usage online and I usually hovered around 3-4GB

18. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Woops, I meant $25 lol, but thanks for the info.

19. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

I have been an ATT employee for 15 years. Had unlimited data with them ever since the iphone 3G. Always told myself that I was never going to get rid of my unlimited data. After being throttled every month for the pasted 4 months, 5gbs just is not enough. Yes it is nice not paying any overage, but being throttled, I feel I do not have full use of my smartphone. So I moved to the 20gb w/ 3 lines. Which is plenty for my 3 lines. Mostly me of course. Plus with 50% off my plan now it was a no brainer.

20. jdmass macrumors member

Another vote for 10GB shared plan. I dropped unlimited when I went to the 5S and have been very pleased with the shared plan - saved a bunch of money, also using personal hotspot functionality. Performance has been very good also

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think you are special case since you get such a large discount as an employee.

I think for the average person who just has a single line the unlimited data plan is still the better deal.

22. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

The discount is new. It was never that high. The change for me was never about the discount. It was the need for more data. With my wife having unlimited and never going over 1gb. My mom having 2gb and never going over a gb. I figured sharing a pool of data between the 3 of us was a better choice for me. Plus saving some money compared to our old plan, before any discounts. The mobile share plans is a great choice for anyone who has multiple lines and need a big pool of data. If you have just one line on your plan with unlimited data, I would keep it for now. ATT has no plan to force anyone off of unlimited data. They will just wait until you move off of the plan youself. With the way competition is going between carriers the plans just going to keep getting better and better. Unlimited data will not be needed anymore.

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I switched to the 10GB Mobile Share plan. It saves me money in the long run, even after paying full price for new iPhones every 2 years.

24. kevroc macrumors 6502

I switched last year, no regrets and actually prefer not having it. Throttling at 5GB and no Personal Hot Spot were killers for me. It's clever naming, it's not "Unlimited Data" it's "Restricted Data". Could you imagine trying to go through the extra 5gb at edge speeds? That's the only difference. If on 10gb mobile share and you think you might go over 10gb, so the unlimited plan would be better to keep, just imagine how on earth would you go over 10gb at throttled speed? Makes no sense...

Not only that, but I have 3 devices on my account and it is very nice to not have to manage how much data each device needs and they can all grab from one bucket.

25. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I made the changes.

But make sure you do your research on your data usage, but beware to check your bill and monitor it.

I changed it and they added 40 bucks to each line when I was quoted with a certain amount.. 5 lines for 170. And my AT&T bill was ridiculous high than what I expected.

This plan is basically trying to remove the unlimited data plans, that's all this plan is intended for. To get users under their Mobile Shared Data plans... Although T-Mobile played a part in it as well..