Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Sure, my bill will only go up by $5 and I'll have a 10GB cap instead of a 4GB one, BUT!! I'll lose the ability to buy an iPhone 6 subsidized when it comes out. At this point it makes more sense to stick with my current plan, pay the same amount for less data (I never hit 4GB anyway) and get a nice subsidized iPhone 6 come September (or whenever it comes out)

You could just switch back down by the time you're ready to upgrade. But yeah, if you're not even close to using 4GB, probably a waste of those $5 a month anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Everyone is measuring needs based upon today. I have to believe data usage will increase into the future.

Just downloading magazines and other items eats chunks.

I would never give up unlimited until ATT drops it.
Perhaps, perhaps not, at least not for everyone. My data usage across 3 different phones over the last 4+ years has been pretty much the same overall. Same goes for another line on my account. So something to keep in mind for sure, but not necessarily a given.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
BUT!! I'll lose the ability to buy an iPhone 6 subsidized when it comes out.
Two questions...

(1) What makes you think you can't buy an iphone6 subsidized when it comes out? I've switched and have the option to upgrade a line at a subsidized two-year contract price.
(2) Why do you want to buy a subsidized phone rather than using a 0% interest payment plan? On the Next program you don't have to trade your phone in... you can just pay it off and keep it if you prefer.

Last edited:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I am considering this as well. I have 5 lines on my account (wife and I have unlimited data on our iPhones and the 3 "dumb" phones with no data for the kids and mother-in-law).

Last week, thanks to streaming tons of Olympic hockey games, I hit 5 GB of usage and got throttled for the first time. Kinda pissed me off. I typically use 2-4 GB of data and the wife usually 500 MB to 1 GB.

The family plan bundle would save a few bucks total (~$10) vs my current monthly bill. Plus give the option to get some used iPhones to allow for the 3 basic-phone lines to have smartphones.

My main concern is: what if we cross the 10 GB? Do I have to pay more for each 1 GB or just get throttled on all the lines? Since I'm by far the heaviest user of data, even if I had 7 GB available for me it should be plenty. But once I forego the unlimited (well, 5 GB plus throttle to 0.5 Mbps) plans, they are gone forever.

Decisions...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am considering this as well. I have 5 lines on my account (wife and I have unlimited data on our iPhones and the 3 "dumb" phones with no data for the kids and mother-in-law).

Last week, thanks to streaming tons of Olympic hockey games, I hit 5 GB of usage and got throttled for the first time. Kinda pissed me off. I typically use 2-4 GB of data and the wife usually 500 MB to 1 GB.

The family plan bundle would save a few bucks total (~$10) vs my current monthly bill. Plus give the option to get some used iPhones to allow for the 3 basic-phone lines to have smartphones.

My main concern is: what if we cross the 10 GB? Do I have to pay more for each 1 GB or just get throttled on all the lines? Since I'm by far the heaviest user of data, even if I had 7 GB available for me it should be plenty. But once I forego the unlimited (well, 5 GB plus throttle to 0.5 Mbps) plans, they are gone forever.

Decisions...

$15/GB if you go over

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I had to give it up in my particular situation. We have 2 lines I tried switching the number on one of our iPhones with a basic phone and there was no way to do it without giving up the unlimited data. I talked with higher ups over the phone then a manager in the store and that's the catch, if you switch numbers you lose it no way around it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The 10GB plan costs a lot more than the unlimited plan.

Do you need more than 5GB of data a month?

Have you considered getting a cellular enabled iPad or a MiFi instead?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008

Do you need more than 5GB of data a month?

Have you considered getting a cellular enabled iPad or a MiFi instead?

From what I calculated, the 10 GB family plan saves me money.

Not counting my 24% corporate discount nor taxes/fees:

Current:
$60 - 700 minute share plan
$30 - Unlimited text plan
$30 - Unlimited data plan for my iPhone
$30 - Unlimited data plan for wife's iPhone
$10 - Extra line (wife)
$10 - Extra line (mother-in-law)
$10 - Extra line (daughter)
$10 - Extra line (son)
-----------
$190

Family Share Plan:
$100 - Family Share Plan
$15 - Primary line (me)
$15 - Extra line (wife)
$15 - Extra line (mother-in-law)
$15 - Extra line (daughter)
$15 - Extra line (son)
-----------
$175

From what I see, the family plan would save me ~$15/mo and allow for each line to be a smartphone if I wanted them to. Likely would have the MIL and kids use older out-of-contract iPhones.

Downside of course is the loss of the individual unlimited plans and when time to upgrade a line, I'm paying full price (like T-Mobile) unless I want to tack on $25/mo per line that is upgraded.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Take a look at your usage for the last 6 months. If it's under 10, change, if not, don't

I would keep your unlimited. The 10GB mobile share is a good deal if you're with AT&T next, BYOP or buy a phone at full price.

Not true. I am not on Next. I'm on a two year contract and the 10 gb value plan is saving me about $55 a month.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Many (most?) of the people considering the 10GB mobile share plan are doing so on accounts with multiple phones. I have five lines on my account (four smart phones, one feature phone), most lines upgrade very infrequently, typical data usage is under 1.5GB per line and none of the lines have ever used more than 2GB in a month.

For a single user with one phone it would likely make more sense to remain as they are.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Many (most?) of the people considering the 10GB mobile share plan are doing so on accounts with multiple phones. I have five lines on my account (four smart phones, one feature phone), most lines upgrade very infrequently, typical data usage is under 1.5GB per line and none of the lines have ever used more than 2GB in a month.

For a single user with one phone it would likely make more sense to remain as they are.

You are right. I'm a single user on unlimited and there is no incentive to switch yet. I think that AT&T is moving in the right direction though, and eventually data will be so cheap that keeping a throttled 5GB unlimited plan won't make sense.

However, first AT&T will need to lower the price of 5GB of data to $30 or less. :)

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I am definitely thinking of switching.

I have 2 iphones on unlimited grandfathered plans, an iphone on a 300mb plan, and a dumb phone with no data. It is over $200 a month. I would love to cut that price down some.

I looked at our data and we use at the absolute most 1gb a month per each of the unlimited lines. I have no clue what people do to use as much data as they do.

I know if I had the ability to tether I might use more by sharing connection with my ipad and/or my kids ipod touch. But I cant see it going over the 6gb plan much less the 10gb plan.

The only thing that is holding me back is the additional money the under contract phones cost. All three iphones are still under contract. From what I remember, it is another $20+/- a line per month for lines that are still under contract. Which eliminates the savings I would have gotten.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I am definitely thinking of switching.

The only thing that is holding me back is the additional money the under contract phones cost. All three iphones are still under contract. From what I remember, it is another $20+/- a line per month for lines that are still under contract. Which eliminates the savings I would have gotten.

I actually contacted AT&T about that since I have a couple lines also under contract. If your contract started before 2/1/2014, then it's $15/mo/line. But if you start a subsidized contract after that date, it jumps to $40/mo/line for those particular lines.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

As another poster said, the $40 per line fee only applies if you upgraded your line after 2/1. Anything upgraded before that is eligible for the $15 per line charge.

When you end up upgrading in the future, you'll have the option to subsidize your phone just like you always have, use one of the two Next options, or just buy your phone outright.

Personally, I'll be buying my phones outright from now on. I might use Next if I need a new phone and I don't have $850 for a top end iPhone. I also plan on keeping my phones for 2 1/2 to 3 years, so long as they function correctly.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I actually contacted AT&T about that since I have a couple lines also under contract. If your contract started before 2/1/2014, then it's $15/mo/line. But if you start a subsidized contract after that date, it jumps to $40/mo/line for those particular lines.

As another poster said, the $40 per line fee only applies if you upgraded your line after 2/1. Anything upgraded before that is eligible for the $15 per line charge.

When you end up upgrading in the future, you'll have the option to subsidize your phone just like you always have, use one of the two Next options, or just buy your phone outright.

Personally, I'll be buying my phones outright from now on. I might use Next if I need a new phone and I don't have $850 for a top end iPhone. I also plan on keeping my phones for 2 1/2 to 3 years, so long as they function correctly.

Thanks for the info. Assuming that is the case, that wouldnt be such a bad deal for me. That plus the 19% discount I get on plans via work and I could actually save a decent amount per month.

I just looked back and the most we have ever used a month in data is just below 4 gigs for all lines together. So 10gigs is still overkill.

But the price diff in the per month charge of either $25 (for 300mb up to 8gb) or $15 (for 10gb +) means I would have to drop to the 4gb plan at $70 a month just to break even. And to save money I would have to drop to the 2gb plan at $55 a month. That is with me having 3 smart phones and 1 basic phone.

So 10gb plan it is.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I upgrade phones frequently, and have 5 lines, 2 with unlimited data.

Therefore I won't be upgrading to the new plans, although I did consider it seriously.

The 5 subsidies, are simply worth too much.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Didn't realize AT&T lowered the per smartphone fee on plans 10+GB. Nice. I did the math and with our current upgrade schedule, the revamped Mobile Share plans would save us ~$850 every 2 years (with AT&T Next). The really nice thing about it now is I can upgrade at my leisure. Previously, I always felt compelled to upgrade on schedule since I'm paying for device subsidy either way. Now that the device cost is somewhat decoupled from the plan cost, I'd be more likely to stick with my old phone.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah, I've looked hard at the overall cost of the shared plan and unless I decide to convert at least two of my additional lines to a smartphone from a basic phone, it's not worth losing the subsidized lifetime plans even with the 2-year contracts. The $15/mo is very attractive, but that means you have to pay full price for the phone or an additional $25/mo per upgraded line (which you'd be an absolute fool to do).

If you are someone who doesn't necessarily need the latest just-released iPhone when it comes out, I can see the family plan being really good since you can buy a used iPhone for 1/2 the full retail cost. But since I'm an upgrade junkie, I think keeping what I have is the best bet for me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Which is why I asked if people use more than 5GB a month? :confused:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We're on a 4-line family plan (all smartphones) and currently upgrade 2 lines every year (different contract expiration dates). I thought it'd be interesting to compare total cost for the old grandfathered rates that I used to have versus the new Mobile Share Value plans.

Old
$60 Base 700 minutes + line 1
$30 Family Unlimited Text
$30 line 1 data
$10 line 2 fee
$30 line 2 data
$10 line 3 fee
$30 line 3 data
$10 line 4 fee
$30 line 4 data
Plan Total: $240/mo or $5,760/2 yr
Upfront Device Cost (iPhone 32GB): $300/device or $1,200 total
Upgrade Fee: $36/line or $144 total
Total 2-year cost: $7,104

Current (Mobile Share 10GB, subsidized)
$120 Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 10GB Data
$30 line 1 fee
$30 line 2 fee
$30 line 3 fee
$30 line 4 fee
Plan Total: $240/mo or $5,760/2 yr
Upfront Device Cost (iPhone 32GB): $300/device or $1,200 total
Upgrade Fee: $36/line or $144 total
Total 2-year cost: $7,104

New (Mobile Share Value 10GB, AT&T Next)
$100 Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 10GB Data
$15 line 1 fee
$15 line 2 fee
$15 line 3 fee
$15 line 4 fee
Plan Total: $160/mo or $3,840/2 yr
Device Cost (iPhone 32GB): $37.50/line/mo or 2-year cost of $2,400 (with $600 balance forwarded for next year at $75/mo) or $3,000 (with device payoff)
Total 2-year cost: $6,240 (with $600 balance forwarded for next year at $75/mo) or $6,840 (with device payoff)

Sure, the savings isn't much but the latter offers far greater flexibility since you're not tied to a contract. Given the low resale/trade-in value on iPhones nowadays, trade-in via the Next program might actually be worth it for higher GB iPhones if you're the type who upgrades yearly.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
That's true, I was just curious because we have military discount with AT&T and they gave us 15% off and we have 2 lines both with iPhones and we pay $160 a month. We were grandfathered in with the unlimited data and we have 700 minutes, with like 4000 rollover minutes lol but I recently talked to ATT about their new plans and I would actually be paying more if I switched over...so I was curious how he got his plan for $105...

I have the same old-style plan that you do, and it does not make sense for me (us) to go to the new plans. The reason is that the discount (military in your case, edu in mine) applies to the whole bill under the old plan but only to the data portion (not to the per-line-fee) under the new family share plans.

It could still work out to be a better deal, but that's not likely if most or all of the phones on your plan were subsidized. 3 of the 4 lines on my family plan are still under contract because they got subsidized phones within the last two years. Once those contracts expire, the new plans will be better deals.

EDIT: after reading to the end of the thread, I see some saying that subsidized phones with a contract begin date before 2/1/14 pay $15/mo, even if still in contract. That's NOT the story I got from att (they told me it won't drop to $15/line until those contracts expire), but of true, it would make the new plans an instant and large savings for us.

Last edited:

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I upgrade phones frequently, and have 5 lines, 2 with unlimited data.

Therefore I won't be upgrading to the new plans, although I did consider it seriously.

The 5 subsidies, are simply worth too much.
Can you show the math you used to determine that the subsidies are worth more than the lower prices? I went over the numbers about 1,000 times and, every time, the new plan and old plan were essentially the same if I upgraded all four phones every two years. The non-subsidized plans were cheaper if not everyone upgraded every two years.

Thanks.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
EDIT: after reading to the end of the thread, I see some saying that subsidized phones with a contract begin date before 2/1/14 pay $15/mo, even if still in contract. That's NOT the story I got from att (they told me it won't drop to $15/line until those contracts expire), but of true, it would make the new plans an instant and large savings for us.

3 of the 5 phones on my account are still in the middle of their contracts and my monthly bill shows $15 per line. This of course will change when I upgrade one of those lines, but for now, it's saving me a lot of money. The person you spoke with at AT&T was mistaken or confused.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can you show the math you used to determine that the subsidies are worth more than the lower prices? I went over the numbers about 1,000 times and, every time, the new plan and old plan were essentially the same if I upgraded all four phones every two years. The non-subsidized plans were cheaper if not everyone upgraded every two years.
If any of those 5 phones are basic phones, then yes, the old subsidized plans are better particularly if you take advantage of the fact that you can use the upgrade eligibility on the dumbphone lines and do a swap. While you are required to keep the upgraded line for the 2-years on contract ($10/line fee), you don't need to pay for "data" on any phone that isn't a smartphone. I did this before to upgrade to the new iPhone yearly. Alas, with the whole family moving to smartphones and getting iPads the new Mobile Share plans just made more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.