Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnyyz

Suspended
Sep 18, 2020
But what about the scratches? Any issue?

No, but I don't use a Milanese loop nor will I ever. With the DLC coating I expect this to look as good as new for the life of the watch, much like the space black did. If it ever gets super messed up, I'll use a hammer on it and replace it with AppleCare+.

It really does. Another member already worded it perfectly, lighting conditions are everything, it depends how you’re looking at it, from what angle and if it’s indoor ambient lighting or natural sunlight. Perception can be very much subjective.

This is the truth right here. Like I mentioned a few posts up, lighting plays a big role in how this one looks. In my opinion, it ranges from plain SS to an almost inky black.

Reactions: storresginer

Germao

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
No, but I don't use a Milanese loop nor will I ever. With the DLC coating I expect this to look as good as new for the life of the watch, much like the space black did. If it ever gets super messed up, I'll use a hammer on it and replace it with AppleCare+.

This is the truth right here. Like I mentioned a few posts up, lighting plays a big role in how this one looks. In my opinion, it ranges from plain SS to an almost inky black.

giphy.gif

That’s what I always thought (the hammer) but fortunately never had to use it.

Reactions: storresginer

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
It certainly does respond to different lighting conditions very differently.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They look completely different. Got any pics of them looking the same?

Hey Dan, pretty sure If you take the time reread @johnyyz post, he said in his opinion based on the lighting, which is completely accurate. It does range greatly from natural to artificial light the hues of gray alter, and there is no right or wrong answer here, again, perception varies.

Reactions: johnyyz

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Is that the graphite AW6 w/ the SB Milanese?
No but, I have the black Milanese loop from last year that I use with it. I had The black Milanese loop on my SBSS all last year and it was in perfect condition when I sold it before purchasing the SS graphite. You just have to be aware the loop can scratch the band. there’s no need to be paranoid about putting a Milanese loop on your watch In my experience.

tommyboy9996

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
NJ - Ocean County
No but, I have the black Milanese loop from last year that I use with it. I had The black Milanese loop on my SBSS all last year and it was in perfect condition when I sold it before purchasing the SS graphite. You just have to be aware the loop can scratch the band. there’s no need to be paranoid about putting a Milanese loop on your watch In my experience.

Gotcha, yeah I have absolutely 0 marks on my SB SS AW5 w/ the SB Milanese loop. I currently have the Graphite AW6 SS on order w/ graphite Milanese. Was curious if the SB Milanese will work with the graphite as well.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No, I got that. But I’m sharing my experience.

What talk about it on a forum unless you want to learn from other peoples experience of a product?

The phrasing/implied-tone of your post came across as a bit of a challenge.

Probably not your intent, but that's how it seemed from here - and the other replies suggest perhaps they interpreted it that was as well.

Written media is tough to convey nuances.

Reactions: johnyyz

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Sorry guys but based on what I see with my eyes IRL the Graphite never looks as light as the SS. I've had the SS on my wrist for 5 years (4 watches) so I am extremely familiar with how it looks in all lighting. I now have a Graphite in hand (on wrist) and even in the very brightest of lighting you can easily see the difference between it and SS. It's not subtle to the naked eye even if the photographs have a tendency to have the appearances converge somewhat i.e. they look closer in photographs than IRL.

I would say that overall it is a really nice blend of SS and SBSS, and overall, across all ranges of lighting, is somewhat closer to SB than it is to SS. But at zero points would I look at my wrist and think it was a SS model.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Gotcha, yeah I have absolutely 0 marks on my SB SS AW5 w/ the SB Milanese loop. I currently have the Graphite AW6 SS on order w/ graphite Milanese. Was curious if the SB Milanese will work with the graphite as well.
Graphite SS with black Milanese loop.

Attachments

• 0D023D5A-5515-47EF-8618-1948265CF966.jpeg
    0D023D5A-5515-47EF-8618-1948265CF966.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 378
  • E85A2CC9-32A6-4F72-B3F4-E5DB83A1404E.jpeg
    E85A2CC9-32A6-4F72-B3F4-E5DB83A1404E.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 262

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Decided to do the same scratch test as I did when I got the Black Ti S5. I took a butter knife to the side of the case of both the graphite and the Ti SB. Both left small marks but the marks on the Ti wiped right off with my shirt as last time. Ive tried to wipe the light marks off the graphite and they do not come off no matter how hard I try. Its so light on both I can't photograph them. I think the DLC on both are fine for normal use but the SBTi has an edge. Might have something to do with it being dull vs shiny, I don't know. We are starting to see more reports of the Graphite shcrathing right away supposedly with PVD bracelet that may be PVD or DLC. If I can scratch it with a butter knife I'm a bit concerned. I think ill return it, keep the SBTi S6 and hold off until next year. The Graphite sure looks nice IMHO. Do not try this at home lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.