Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Well guys I think I have finally found a fix!
After 3 replacement iPad pros over the last 8 months and trying almost everything it turns out that all you need to do is go to Settings>Accessibility then disable Tap to Wake and restart your device.
Since doing this 2 weeks ago I have not noticed a single stutter, everything has been smooth.

I suggest that everybody try this for a week or so and report back on here to let us know how it goes.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Well guys I think I have finally found a fix!
After 3 replacement iPad pros over the last 8 months and trying almost everything it turns out that all you need to do is go to Settings>Accessibility then disable Tap to Wake and restart your device.
Since doing this 2 weeks ago I have not noticed a single stutter, everything has been smooth.

I suggest that everybody try this for a week or so and report back on here to let us know how it goes.

Will try this after another morning of complete unresponsive behaviour of my ‘18 12.9”. For now it’s working but could still be related to the rebooting.

LovedMacFirst

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
I actually tried it for over a day and had no issues. Then I switched it back on and the issues came back. Perhaps there's definitely something there.

I do wonder if this is affected only when you actually tap to wake, as opposed to pressing the button. Not the setting itself.

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Hi again guys, Please try the fix i sugggested earlier - disabling Tap to wake and restart your device.
Ive posted this to the apple support forums and so far it is working for everybody using the 2018 pro models.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I’ve had none of these issues since running iOS 13 beta, for what it’s worth. (Lots of other problems though)

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
So im 100% convinced that tap to wake fixes this issue. One new thing ive found though is that when pressing in different areas of the screen (especially corners) im seeing pressure distortion, im not even pressing very hard yet it creates a faint light distortion. It makes me feel that its a really cheap display...Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

roblet

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
So im 100% convinced that tap to wake fixes this issue. One new think ive though is that when pressing in different areas of the screen (especially corners) im seeing pressure distortion, im not even pressing very hard yet it creates a faint light distortion. It makes me feel that its a really cheap display...Is anyone else having this problem?
Hi Danz, I tried your fix and it worked for about a week but the problem reappeared a week ago and I haven't been able to fix it again using your suggestion.

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Hi Danz, I tried your fix and it worked for about a week but the problem reappeared a week ago and I haven't been able to fix it again using your suggestion.
Oh damn, Ive experienced this issue since 2018, but after disabling tap to wake a month ago ive not had a single issue so its definitely worked for me. Did you restart your device after disabling tap to wake?

roblet

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Oh damn, Ive experienced this issue since 2018, but after disabling tap to wake a month ago ive not had a single issue so its definitely worked for me. Did you restart your device after disabling tap to wake?
Yip, I did a hard reset and I did the same when I tried the fix again. I’ve now switched tap to wake on, hard reset and then switched it off and again hard reset. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Sam2can

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
Yeah I was unlucky enough to buy one of the problematic iPad pros.
I have had it replaced 4 times under warranty (is that a record) and it still keeps doing the same things you described.
I made a heap of videos as proof, it was easy as the problems occurred DAILY!

Eventually I can get it going again if I try a number of those fixes.
But it is driving me insane.
Sometimes I pick up the iPad and it takes me an hour of resetting, booting, just to send 1 quick message.

I paid almost $2,000. Aust for the iPad it when it came out.

Unfortunately my troubles with Apple started from Day1
My first ever smartphone was an iPhone 4 and it turns out that this particular iPhone had been handed in and
“Re-placed/Re-furbished “3 TIMES before I bought it.
I was unlucky enough to buy something that was so faulty it had been refurbished 3 times before I got it.
As I had never owned a smartphone I naively thought that all the problems I was having with it over the next 4-5 years were normal for a smart phone.

Then I bought an iPhone 6s back in late 2017
That thing never worked properly from day 1, it would just shut down at the worst times and I would lose whatever message or email that I was writing, forcing me to start again.
Sometimes it would shut down 2 times in a row.

I found a solution to that problem, one night after 12am all I needed to do was write a 15 minute email and then I could go to sleep.

But the iPhone 6s had shut down 2 times already.
So when the iPhone shut down for a 3rd time that day.
I hurled that iPhone 6s at the wall with all the force I could muster.

I was so tired and frustrated.
I had enough after 7 long painful years with 3 faulty “Rotten to the Core” apple products.

Some of you might be thinking why didn’t I go back to the store more often.
It’s difficult for me to go to the store to address any warranty issues.
Because I bought all my apple crap in Australia.

I fly in and out of Aust. for work.
Sometimes I don’t get back to Aust for 6-8 months.
The overseas apple stores kept referring me to go back to the place of purchase.

Somehow it didn’t seem viable to spend $1,000-$2,000 on an airfare to “TRY” and convince the apple staff to replace an $900 iPhone 6s with its intermittent fault

7 long painful years have taken their toll on me and my friends and family.
Sometimes I am unable to return messages in a proper time frame.
After 7 years of “Crying Wolf” (Faulty Phone) It has become a bit of joke amongst my friends and family.

I think all this tracking/monitoring software covertly written into programs does not help the iPhone or iPad.
I think it would be hard for the iPad/iPhone to operate at proper capacity if it were devoting whatever percentage (25% maybe) of the cpu to sending back info.

It might explain why the iPhone and iPad used to overheat, and my last months internet usage was over 50GB.
I think it’s a lot of internet data for someone who doesn’t download movies, Netflix, or music.
Just emails and the message apps, Line, we-chat, I message, messenger etc....
As soon as I figure out what other phone company has a decent phone that works, I will invest in a new phone and tablet.

Any suggestions from the members that are still awake after reading my “manifesto”

I don’t play games, or need a 5 trillion mega pixel camera on the phone, I just want something that operates fast.
Something that When I type in the address in the search browser, it loads websites/pages in a timely fashion
As opposed to what I have now, now I have enough time to take a shower while the iPad/phone Loads a page.

Then I can say goodbye and good riddance to “Rotten to the Core” Apple once and for all.
7 painful frustrating years.
3 Proven Faulty Apple products
Numerous replacements.
$3,000- $4,000 wasted money
I need to get away from Apple while I still have a little sanity left.

Enough is Enough.
Thank you and good night
Sam

“Serenity Now.”

Reactions: hillyard

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Yeah I was unlucky enough to buy one of the problematic iPad pros.
I have had it replaced 4 times under warranty (is that a record) and it still keeps doing the same things you described.
I made a heap of videos as proof, it was easy as the problems occurred DAILY!

Eventually I can get it going again if I try a number of those fixes.
But it is driving me insane.
Sometimes I pick up the iPad and it takes me an hour of resetting, booting, just to send 1 quick message.

I paid almost $2,000. Aust for the iPad it when it came out.

Unfortunately my troubles with Apple started from Day1
My first ever smartphone was an iPhone 4 and it turns out that this particular iPhone had been handed in and
“Re-placed/Re-furbished “3 TIMES before I bought it.
I was unlucky enough to buy something that was so faulty it had been refurbished 3 times before I got it.
As I had never owned a smartphone I naively thought that all the problems I was having with it over the next 4-5 years were normal for a smart phone.

Then I bought an iPhone 6s back in late 2017
That thing never worked properly from day 1, it would just shut down at the worst times and I would lose whatever message or email that I was writing, forcing me to start again.
Sometimes it would shut down 2 times in a row.

I found a solution to that problem, one night after 12am all I needed to do was write a 15 minute email and then I could go to sleep.

But the iPhone 6s had shut down 2 times already.
So when the iPhone shut down for a 3rd time that day.
I hurled that iPhone 6s at the wall with all the force I could muster.

I was so tired and frustrated.
I had enough after 7 long painful years with 3 faulty “Rotten to the Core” apple products.

Some of you might be thinking why didn’t I go back to the store more often.
It’s difficult for me to go to the store to address any warranty issues.
Because I bought all my apple crap in Australia.

I fly in and out of Aust. for work.
Sometimes I don’t get back to Aust for 6-8 months.
The overseas apple stores kept referring me to go back to the place of purchase.

Somehow it didn’t seem viable to spend $1,000-$2,000 on an airfare to “TRY” and convince the apple staff to replace an $900 iPhone 6s with its intermittent fault

7 long painful years have taken their toll on me and my friends and family.
Sometimes I am unable to return messages in a proper time frame.
After 7 years of “Crying Wolf” (Faulty Phone) It has become a bit of joke amongst my friends and family.

I think all this tracking/monitoring software covertly written into programs does not help the iPhone or iPad.
I think it would be hard for the iPad/iPhone to operate at proper capacity if it were devoting whatever percentage (25% maybe) of the cpu to sending back info.

It might explain why the iPhone and iPad used to overheat, and my last months internet usage was over 50GB.
I think it’s a lot of internet data for someone who doesn’t download movies, Netflix, or music.
Just emails and the message apps, Line, we-chat, I message, messenger etc....
As soon as I figure out what other phone company has a decent phone that works, I will invest in a new phone and tablet.

Any suggestions from the members that are still awake after reading my “manifesto”

I don’t play games, or need a 5 trillion mega pixel camera on the phone, I just want something that operates fast.
Something that When I type in the address in the search browser, it loads websites/pages in a timely fashion
As opposed to what I have now, now I have enough time to take a shower while the iPad/phone Loads a page.

Then I can say goodbye and good riddance to “Rotten to the Core” Apple once and for all.
7 painful frustrating years.
3 Proven Faulty Apple products
Numerous replacements.
$3,000- $4,000 wasted money
I need to get away from Apple while I still have a little sanity left.

Enough is Enough.
Thank you and good night
Sam

“Serenity Now.”

Sounds exactly like me mate, got my ipad replaced 4 times, have made multiple youtube videos about it. I also paid $1999 for mine (im from NZ). Only thing thats worked for me 100% is disabling tap to wake for good.

Sam2can

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
Sounds exactly like me mate, got my ipad replaced 4 times, have made multiple youtube videos about it. I also paid $1999 for mine (im from NZ). Only thing thats worked for me 100% is disabling tap to wake for good.

Hey bud thanks for the advice, I was starting to think the problems were all my fault.
It was such a relief to read others were having the same problems.

Can I trouble you for some further help?
I want to try your suggestion, but I can’t seem to find that “Tap to Wake” icon.
I have pressed “Settings “

Then pressed “General”

Then pressed “Accessibility”

I couldn’t see it on the next page.

So I went thru every option, but I still can’t find it.

Excuse my ignorance, but is it actually written “Tap to wake”??

Thanks Bud

Danz91

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Hey bud thanks for the advice, I was starting to think the problems were all my fault.

I want to try your suggestion, but I can’t seem to find that “Tap to Wake” icon.

Then pressed “General”

Thanks Bud
Are you on ios 13 beta? if so its now moved to Accessibility>touch>tap to wake.
I believe it was just under accesbility on ios 12.
[doublepost=1565223722][/doublepost]

Then pressed “General”

Thanks Bud
Oh and you have the 2018 ipad pro right?

Bobbfett

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Hello, my first post here, but i felt that I had to. I have the same problem as you gals and guys with my iPad Pro 2018, freezing every now and then, it felt like it’s freezing more when it’s angled in certain angels, maybe the gyro or something.
What I wanted to say is that I turned off the gestures, and all my freezing problems are gone, no problems since 2 weeks.
I produce music on my iPad, ant use ut a lot for retouching in affinity photo, so I don’t want gestures anyhow, I use the virtual home bottom that you can activate in assistive touch.

Just wanted to share my experience, I think it feels like a software problem, they wanted to put in too many gestures, and they can’t make it stable.

Regards

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Well here is another crazy theory for review - lol

I have had the issue (iPP 12.9) through several versions of iOS 12 and it seems to happen less often now on iOS12.4 than earlier versions

I have tried various setting changes and meticulously cleaning the screen (which only seemed to make it worse :eek:)

I find it very annoying when texting or composing an email and suddenly a few keys do not work or a part of the screen becomes unresponsive.

Now recently, I have noticed that if I move both hands to new positions that the normal response returns - especially if I hold the iPP with one hand in the center of the back and avoid touching the edges of the iPad anywhere

Makes me wonder if some of the comments above about "angles and slight bending" can be part of the problem?

Dpalazzolo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2019

I’ve been using your fix for over a month and I have had an issue since. Only downside is the obvious you can’t tap to wake. I however do find it odd that the issue reappeared for another user using the fix.‍♂️

Ciaoiphone4

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
I have the same problems with iPad Pro 12.9, 2015 (first gen). Sometime it has problems with multitouch or when I have to move things on display, like drag and drop, or with keyboard.
In addition I have problems with SmartKeyboard because iPad doesn’t recognize it or give me the message that it isn’t supported.
I have this problems from the first release of iOS 12, but the problems about Touch screen seem to be resolved with last update IOS 12.4, while problems with smart keyboard no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobbfett

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
Update. My problems came back on my iPad Pro 2018 13”, even though I turned off gestures, and wake on touch.
I discovered a new thing, if I held the iPad in the down left corner, with my heavy cover on, the scroll freeze problem got worse, so it appeared that the weight bent it just some microns, and that was causing the problem.
Don’t try this at home, request a new one from apple, because this can void the warranty, but I bent it the other way, with just a tad power, not notisable, maby some micron the other way, and now my problems are gone again. I am now absolutely convinced that it is a hardware problem, and if you have this issue with the new iPad pro’s, go back to apple and request a new one, don’t do as I did.
It seems that the new pro’s are so sensitive for bending. Didn’t apple them self confess that they had problems with a very “few” pro’s, and it had to do with the cooling process, that made a “few” bend, well it seems a bit more than a few to me. Exchange them for new ones until they get it right.

Br

Kinotto

macrumors regular
May 7, 2018
So im 100% convinced that tap to wake fixes this issue. One new thing ive found though is that when pressing in different areas of the screen (especially corners) im seeing pressure distortion, im not even pressing very hard yet it creates a faint light distortion. It makes me feel that its a really cheap display...Is anyone else having this problem?

Rainbow effect, another known issue.
Had my 1st gen 12.9 replaced 5 times because of this issue, eventually they gave me a 2nd gen model as replacement, got this too replaced twice because of the same issue. The 7th replacement, which I still have, still shows rainbow effect and touch disease.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Looks like we’ll be hanging onto our two 1st gen 12.9 ipps for more than 4 years then. 1 is running ipadOS 13.1.2 like a champ (gave up on mail and am using Spark). The other still running 12.x. No touch issues. No fingerprint reader issues. No issues since 11.x (which almost made the ipads unusable).

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Same issue is happening to me. Sent it for repair and got it returned NOT FIXED.. oh man i'm so furious.
Ipad gets unresponsive from time to time and it even has a ghost touch issue on a part of the lcd.

Reactions: g75d3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.