Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The apple silicon cycles are going to be mad. If apple releases a M2 Max in 6 months, that would be crazy.

You just cant release the studio mac M1Max in April and a M2Max at least until March’23 minimum
M2 Pro and M2 Max in the MacBook Pro are likely Q4/2023 parts giving Apple a two year window of sales for each processor generation within each product line. Meaning the Mac Studio will be upgraded in Q1/2024 with M2 Max and M2 Ultra, assuming Apple follows the same course as the M1. This makes sense and allows apple to keep upgrades rolling without pushing out SoCs too fast.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Even more likely is that personal computer tech i

No, it isn’t. There is a Goldilocks space need for an entry level prosumer Mini with an M1-Pro with TB support for 2+ monitors and 16-32 GB of RAM that starts at under $1200. The Studio more of a professional market computer.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The apple silicon cycles are going to be mad. If apple releases a M2 Max in 6 months, that would be crazy.

You just cant release the studio mac M1Max in April and a M2Max at least until March’23 minimum
Why not? This discussion is not about Mac Studio evolution; M1 was announced in 2020, M1 Pro and M1 Max have been in MBPs since 2021. Normal progression would be low end M2 in boxes like the MB Air mid-2022 and then M2 Pro and M2 Max MBPs in the late fall 2022.

Only some anomaly (such as supply) would prevent the normal evolution of M2Pro/M2Max MBPs in late 2022. As a totally new product line the upgrade cycle for Studio remains to be seen, but this is tech, which keeps evolving: the top MBPs are very due for a solid performance upgrade in late 2022. If appropriate M2 chips are unavailable Apple will do some pretend upgrade to MBPs in October.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: alpi123

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
I am interested in updated MBPs I had hoped for this fall. Maybe an Ultra or similar. However I can still wait. And my father might want to get an M2 air. So I hope this delay is not true or Apple can catch up somehow. Don't they need something "new" for the new university year and the christmas season anyway?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I am interested in updated MBPs I had hoped for this fall. Maybe an Ultra or similar. However I can still wait. And my father might want to get an M2 air. So I hope this delay is not true or Apple can catch up.
The Ultra is never going to fit into a Mac Book Pro chassis or into the thermal envelope of that chassis. Apple is selling every M1 Pro and M1 Max MBP it makes, why would they update it this year? It’s still faster than almost all of its competition and people rave about it now. Q4 of next year is the earliest you’ll see an M2 Pro or M2 Max released. M2 MBA is definitely not coming until late Q3 or Q4 of this year.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
EVERYTHING related to the timing of the M2 depends on whether it is
- a SoC based on the A15 (and so, in some sense "late") OR
- a SoC based on the A16 (and so expected to arrive around the September time frame, perhaps a little earlier [doesn't need massive phone volumes], perhaps a little later [at least for now, Apple wants to continue associating the maximum annual SoC drama with the iPhone])

This is what I find weirdest about Gurman (and Kuo), that this is THE most obvious question for a technical person (and even if you're not technical, it informs everything else about timing and capabilities) but they never raise this issue and seem not to care!
IMHO I think its tough to think of Apple in the same light has other semiconductor manufacturers that service the Windows side of computers trying to have some reoccurring Moores Law applied to their ARM devices. It's a lot more like they're pioneering their own SoC's at their own pace.

Given Apple really needs a lot more natively optimized applications in some software genres to use to pitch their hardware solutions, one should be watching how their WWDC reflects their goals to predict new products. Not boring people with endless its going to have a modestly more powerful M2 SOC's for their products across the board as their only goal.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
If

I'm afraid you are right. However, that will be too late for back to school shoppers which may hit Apple's bottom line and will leave all those brand new MacBook Air owners wishing they had waited a couple of months and gotten the redesigned Air.

Whether it has the M1 or an M2, is really irrelevant for the Air's target demographic. The M1 is already way over powered for their needs.
CPUs have been overpowered for years now. However, architecture and software do keep evolving to utilize the very latest strongest chips; and chip design engineers refine their designs. Remember Core Duo then Core 2 Duo? The second generation of the M Series will likely be significantly better polished than first generation M1.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Why not? This discussion is not about Mac Studio evolution; M1 was announced in 2020, M1 Pro and M1 Max have been in MBPs since 2021. Normal progression would be low end M2 in boxes like the MB Air mid-2022 and then M2 Pro and M2 Max MBPs in the late fall 2022.

Only some anomaly (such as supply) would prevent the normal evolution of M2Pro/M2Max MBPs in late 2022. As a totally new product line the upgrade cycle for Studio remains to be seen, but this is tech, which keeps evolving: the top MBPs are very due for a solid performance upgrade in late 2022. If appropriate M2 chips are unavailable Apple will do some pretend upgrade to MBPs in October.
Dude, M1 was late 2020. M1 Pro and Max late 2021.
Now, M2 late 2022, M2 Pro and Max late 2023.

How does it not make sense to you? Apple won't rush their chips, due to obvious reasons.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Analysts also predict M2 coming… followed by M3.
Its very dependent on maintaining similar energy usage for given CPU/GPU capabilities, not so much roll the model numbers. Apple has tethered themselves to be a unique computer supplier rather than the competition. We have to be watching how TSMC does with commercializing the 3 nm node.
As of 2022, Taiwanese chip manufacturer TSMC plans to put a 3 nm semiconductor node into commercial production by the second quarter of 2023
I just don't think the A14, A15, A16 evolution is going to work the same pace for Macs as it does with iPhones/iPads.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
No, a hypothetical M1 Pro Mac mini would also have both a 16 GB and 32 GB RAM option (just like the MacBook Pros), meaning pricing would be much, much cheaper than the Mac Studio.

And yes I suspect there would be binned M1 Pros (again just like the MacBook Pros). I'd be more than happy to buy a Mac mini with 16 GB RAM and M1 Pro 8-core CPU / 14-core GPU. (I think you may be underestimating TSMC's yields if you think Apple needs to resort to M1 Pros with 10 GPU cores.)
9to5mac is saying the next Mac mini will have M2 / M2 Pro SKU's

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I always thought it was odd that the MacBook Air got the same SoC as the MacBook Pro 13" at the same time.
The lowest end Intel 13” MBP had the same chip and same ports as the Intel Air. This M1 13” MBP is essentially an update to that model with just the addition of the Touch Bar from the higher end MBP.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Delayed? I don't ever remember a leak/rumour saying it was coming out late 2021/early 2022
Early rumors put it in the second half of 2022.
Then some rumors started putting the launch of the redesigned Air in March.
Now that that date is past, this new rumor just restates the original rumor in saying “second half of 2022”.

Reactions: Realityck

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
The PowerPC chips got plenty of updates and yet retained the same G3/G4/G5 name depending on the device. I don't think they have to put an M2 inside a redesigned MacBook Air. They could add a core, raise the clock speed or more and still just call it the M1.

Reactions: Realityck

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Reading this thinking "oh wow, that's quite a delay – end of this year or early next year!" then re-realising it's already 2022 – so this just means a few months from now. ?
Global pandemic has really messed with the sense of time in this timeline… ?
2020 has been the longest year I can remember, it's looking like it might be ending here soon. ?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
9to5mac is saying the next Mac mini will have M2 / M2 Pro SKU's

M2 Pro would a good addition, but that would be a long ways off. Thus I would prefer M1 Pro, in 2022.

The lowest end Intel 13” MBP had the same chip and same ports as the Intel Air.
No, this is incorrect. The Air used much slower (and lower power) CPUs.

MacBook Air 2020 - 1.1 GHz Core i3-1000NG4 (Typical TDP 9W)
MacBook Pro 2020 - 1.4 GHz Core i5-8257U (Typical TDP 15 W)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
The PowerPC chips got plenty of updates and yet retained the same G3/G4/G5

Sure but apart from the G5 Apple had no input in that naming. Heck these weren't even names as the G stands for generation and thats all they had in common.

They could add a core,

Do that and you are designing a new chip. Not much sense in putting an old cores into new chips.
Not much sense in not using the potential marketing hype from making it clear that this chip is indeed a new generation.

But sure they could do what they do with iPhones and iPads and put the old chip into cheaper devices. Hence a M2 MacBook(Air) at 1200$ and a M1 MacBookSE at 900$.

Reactions: Tagbert

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
2020 has been the longest year I can remember, it's looking like it might be ending here soon. ?
One can also reflect on 2021 being forever from the standpoint of the first M1 Computers announced November 10 2020, and finally the MBP laptops using more powerful M1 Pro/Max announced Oct 18 2021. Comparably we didn't have to wait that long for the M1 Ultra which something Apple didn't want to show us quit yet last Oct.

Reactions: Sharewaredemon

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
M2 Pro would a good addition, but that would be a long ways off. Thus I would prefer M1 Pro, in 2022.
A lot of people keep tossing around the M2 term as a solution, instead of just hoping Apple starts to supply us with more Macs using M1 Pro and M1 Max. Daresay a Mac mini with a M1 Pro with 32 GB RAM would sell very well. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazsi

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

No, this is incorrect. The Air used much slower (and lower power) CPUs.

MacBook Air 2020 - 1.1 GHz Core i3-1000NG4 (Typical TDP 9W)
MacBook Pro 2020 - 1.4 GHz Core i5-8257U (Typical TDP 15 W)
True, they were not exactly the same, but both were much lower performance than the rest of the MBP line at the time.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
At what point does the madness stop? Computing has hit a plateau. They can add cores infinitely with larger space and extra cooling, 95% of people don't need more than a few cores.
The rumored M2 is expected to have the same number of CPU cores as the M1. It is expected to use cores that are a little faster and more power efficient than the M1, as well. Not a lot of madness there.

Computers are a little like living organisms. They exist in a changing environment and have competitors. They need to evolve or die. If an organism stops evolving, the competitors will outcompete them and they will die. Even without competitors, if they stop evolving, the environment will change over time and they will not longer be well suited the environment and they will die. Computers, as products, have this same need to stay up with competitors and to match the needs of their environment or they, too, will die.

Reactions: name99

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Daresay a Mac mini with a M1 Pro with 32 GB RAM would sell very well.

Sure you can dare to say it. But you could also look back a bit and realise that with Apples BTO steps and prices it would cost just as much as base Studio and hence it would barely sell at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.