Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. oliversl macrumors 65816

I only Aqua UI in that image, why Apple would do that? Why show an Aqua UI when all what Jony says is: flat, no color, no texture, no 3D, no transparency.

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Well, there will be an iMac this year and it will be 6-core. I believe it is scheduled for a release later in the year, and was never scheduled for WWDC, but the upside to that is that the 8-core i7 will be out later this year so it's possible that they could have an 8-core model this year. While it may be unlikely for 2018, they are certainly aware of the processor and it has the same TDP as current i7s so shouldn't need further design changes to be implemented.

3. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

4. lucasrant macrumors regular

Didn't they specifically say that those won't come out this year?

EDIT: They did.

"Boger was succinct: the promised Mac Pro will be a 2019 product."

source:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/05/apples-2019-imac-pro-will-be-shaped-by-workflows/

5. Appleaker macrumors 68020

They already have a new keyboard design that they've been working on for over a year, the delays are due to a multitude of reasons since there are additional changes coming with this years model.

6. Mr. Dee, May 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2018

Mr. Dee macrumors 68020

Mr. Dee

What more does a 2018 MacBook Pro and iPad Pro will offer that a 2017 version isn't already offering? I know, you can't show off on your Twitter feed or Facebook Live you have the latest Apple gear.

These products are tools and the fact that you have users with models 5 or more years old and getting the job done, is testament to the fact that you don't need to have the latest and greatest from Apple. If Apple doesn't announce new revs on Monday, get whats currently available and actually 'use it'.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, if this turns out to be true, I'll be very disappointed. Looks like I may need to go with one of Apple's competitors at this point

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

So... tiny iterative software updates and no hardware updates? ...yay?

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Given the timeframe and the particular attention being paid to workflows, I think we’ll see some VERY interesting uses of co-processors in the new Mac Pro. One thing is for sure, it is NOT going to be what anyone expects.

10. LuciusMalfoy macrumors newbie

This is what I'm hoping as well. Cleaning up their OS's will make this worth nothing being announced.

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

And the thousands of new API’s introduced that will enable new types of uses for Apple devices, yes yay.

Developer conferences should be exciting to consumers only because it’s a glimpse into what experiences will be shortly part of the ecosystem. It is NOT a consumer show, that’s only the keynote. All the real fun is the WEEK that most people ignore once the livestream ends.

13. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Me too. Asked the mods to review both sides before suspending @Mlrollin91 based on the other guys report threat. He's been around a while I've seen him help others. Back to the thread, interesting discussion. No need to get side railed or locked.

14. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

They will announce that AirPower will be definitely coming by 2019.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

Intel + ARM chip or do you mean Intel iGPU + ARM + dedicated graphics chip? Intel recently released some new iGPU drivers to turn the iGPU on in conjunction with a video card chip that lessens processing times on video and 3D.

16. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

At this point, my only thought is not a chance. It's unlikely we'll see any new Mac mini by the end of the year.
    Already confirmed to not be coming until 2019. A preview this early is unlikely.

17. Huddy macrumors member

I'll wait until Monday to see what the outcome is regarding new hardware, but if we don't see a MBP refresh I won't be waiting any longer, I'd of preferred MacOS but frankly I can live with Windows at this point.

18. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Arent they still selling brand new macs today with 5th gen chips in them?
    It's beyond embarrassing, its practically dereliction...

19. kozz macrumors regular

Well that’s good, I just bought an IPP, however if they do release it with an A11X then I will be returning it and getting the A11X version...

While FaceID would be nice, I can deal with TouchID..

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I'm thinking more in line like Apple's own chips for very particular functions. Sort of like how they made their own timer coalescing chip to drive the 5K monitor when the DisplayPort protocol was still inadequate to handle it.

I'm thinking Apple is going to start including in-house chips for very specific functions for their pro applications to take advantage of. Their work on "slicing" workloads across multiple GPU's (which only came to light in one of John Gruber's podcasts with a guest) for their eGPU support (rather than just making everything run off the eGPU when plugged in) tells me there's a whole bunch of advanced refinements and long-term thinking going on behind the scenes.

21. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Actually that should be "Later, but we want credit for doing it now!"

22. lucasrant macrumors regular

I'd be very disappointed. They said it would come out this year, but they have delayed products before... several times. Although at this point there's no reason to think their initial release date has changed. Maybe they always intended to release it in the second half of 2018.

23. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

There's a *slight* validity in what you're saying (though I would have used different words) but the examples you've picked are horrible.

MBP .. a keyboard I can frigging type on. The new ones are atrocious. 2016 I moved my writing machine to a ThinkPad because I simply HATED the MB/MBP keyboards. MBA wasn't an option. I'm not buying ancient screen tech in 2016. It's now two years later.

iPad Pro … 2018 over 2017? No brainer. The A12 X is supposed to be faster by 30% AND add battery life. New screen size. 12.9 is good for work, unwieldly as a tablet. 10.3 is a good tablet, not big enough as a laptop replacement. 11.5 would be perfect, or take the 12.9 bezelless. A better smart keyboard. Apple pencil improvements.

They are tools and that's exactly why I refuse to buy what's currently available. They are BAD tools at this point -- keyboard on a laptop should be number one priority.

24. Zenithal macrumors G3

Don't jinx it.

Is it? At the 2013 WWDC, Apple revealed the cMP. That was in June. Units headed out to shipment by very late December. If the new Mac Pro is due in 2019, it makes sense to preview something now to get people riled up and eager to order. If they wait until September/October, it'll cast a shadow on their other impending releases. People are more likely to order more if they have a clear idea and aren't offered too many products all at once. And if they wait until the next WWDC and release in December 2019, then there will be a 6 year delay between the cMP and the new Mac Pro. At which point, most Mac Pro users may get tired of waiting and move towards Windows systems.

25. vertical smile, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This:
    At least the WWDC is not supposed to be Mac focused. The most disappointing keynote to me was the "hello again" event, that was supposed to be Mac focused, and that event looked worse than 10-pounds of poop in a 5-pound bag.