Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Actually, 4th gen for the Mac mini. That’s unacceptable for a company that prides itself on making the best products they possibly can for their customers.

2. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Its not actually that bad depending on what you do. I live in Office/Mail/Safari/Kodi on my mobile systems. The underlying OS doesn't really affect me all that much. There's a few things you need to adjust to and that doesn't take long. The cloud makes it very easy to go back and forth between systems these days.

I had money to spend Sep 2016. My trusty 2011 MBA 11 couldn't handle my work anymore. MBP / MB / MBA could have had my purchase but not with outdated screens, crap keyboards and really not much innovation. Laptops have become boring :)

Ended up getting a ThinkPad Yoga 260 and it's been a champ. The tablet mode is a bit of a gimmick, who cares? i've used it maybe 5 times. So also the pen. But it's an i7/16GB/512 SSD system with plenty of ports, slim enough and very durable. I believe I paid 1300 for it. And the keyboard … it's a dream when you're cranking out 7000 words a day. I fly on this thing!

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

Are you talking about something like CUDA tech for the latter half of your post? It does make sense given NVidia's recent habits of forcing people to do it their own way, including Intel. Which I find truly amusing given they used Intel's playbook. I can see Apple getting Adobe on board to write code for these specialized onboard co-processors. The first half of your post also makes sense considering Apple picked up several Intel engineers. Now that TB3 is out in the wild and not royaltied, Apple can either work on improving the format for their own use or whatever they choose or work on the next big thing.

In the end, this is great for consumers because maybe PC OEMS/Vendors will pick up the slack too and incorporate similar but not exactly the same things. The engineers go where the money is. What I can't see is Apple abandoning Intel for their own all in one processor units. Sure they've done testing in house on various processors, but it's a pain in the ass for their consumers. I'm not sure how viable Rosetta was, but I can't imagine any serious business reliant on Apple wanting to spend thousands of dollars on the same software so they can use these nifty new Macs.

4. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The Mac mini doesn't have a 5th gen chip. It has a 4th gen. That's right, Haswell.

Though the MacBook Air does have a 5th gen, so you're still correct on that one.

5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

At various points, Apple will continue to alienate it's more loyal followers. As time passes, it get's no better. I have waited three years to replace my 2013 MBP. I skipped 2016 and 2017 because I did not think the performance/feature/price point was reasonable. Even with the Apple tax. I don't want to keep being dragged along with "Pipeline" dreams, and "we're serious about macs", "stay tuned" nonsense.

With software development more in the improvement state rather than new feature state, I would hope there would be even more keynote time devoted to hardware. I think that they would want to have "NEW" products for the back to school purchasing period, which starts in a few weeks. Many students/parents won't know better and buy whatever is on the table at the local Apple store. But at the same time, many potential sales may be missed. The new X1 Carbon/Yoga and the new XPS 13/15 will be an enticing purchase for incoming students/parents.

At this point, for me personally, no hardware at this event would be a terrible let down. I wouldn't mind it so much if they released products regularly. But since there has to be a "show" for most product releases with these guys, the opportunities do not come often.

6. tipoo macrumors 6502

They don't have to spend much time mentioning a spec bump, but I hope it's there. Quad core ULVs in 28 watts with Iris Plus graphics are out now, and I was thinking they were just waiting for WWDC to announce 13" rMBPs with them.

7. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Leaking the release year of a product ahead of time is not normal for Apple. Yet in this case it was seen as necessary, so those who are waiting for a new Mac Pro already know not to expect it until sometime in 2019. If Apple were planning to announce the release date at this year's WWDC, it's likely the leak would never have happened.

Furthermore, a preview at WWDC 2019 doesn't necessarily mean release will be delayed until December as was the case with the 2013 Mac Pro. Even an event in the spring is less likely, but not out of the question.

8. Anandc macrumors 6502

Anandc

Apple is not the same anymore. Its commitment to its customers is not the same

1) Portrait Mode is still in Beta (can you believe it?)
    2) AirPower is still not around (It was announced on Sept 12, 2017, that's like 9 months before and still no news)
    3) Butterfly Keyboard problems (Apple products never use to have major problems and now we have the core problem of a laptop which is used daily)

What's going on?

9. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Daft thing to do when WWDC is a developer focussed event. The clue is in the name...

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So much for that focus on leaks. My guess is there is a lot Gurman doesn’t know. His track record hasn’t been so great now that he’s at Bloomberg.

11. Mr. Dee macrumors 68020

Mr. Dee

What happened to your Surface Book? Also, I remember reading one of your comments you really only use your notebook for basics. Trust me, you could probably get by with a 2006 MBP Core Duo.

12. VARDHANN macrumors newbie

VARDHANN

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Regarding AirPower, I think people fundamentally misunderstand how complicated that product will be.

upload_2018-5-31_13-27-13.jpeg

You guys see those overlapping wireless charging coils? No one has anything even remotely like that on the market right now, and the amount of engineering that needs to happen to make it SAFE (rejecting trying to send current to things like keys) cannot be understated.

If anything, I think Apple made a big mistake even announcing it so far in advance.

14. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

Going into Monday with pretty low expectations to be honest.

Is it just me or does everything always seem to be coming "later?" Things have slowed to a crawl.

15. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Shouldn’t be a problem. My 2008 Unibody is still plugging away, ugly, but plugging away (cracked screen, broken track pad, dead battery, broken SuperDrive). The new iPP will replace it.

16. Mr. Dee macrumors 68020

Mr. Dee

How do you know the A12X is 30% faster, do you have access to engineering samples?
    Suppose Apple used the same keyboard on the 2018 model as the 2017?
    For writing, what would a 2018 machine offer that a 2017 or 2016 or 2015 already doesn't offer?

I write for a living too, and I am using a 2015 MBP in addition to a Surface Pro 3 and a ACER Aspire with Ubuntu Linux. Trust me, a word processor is not gonna be any better next versus a 2012 retina MBP.

If you are working with professional apps like Logic X, Final Cut X, compositing apps like Motion, Photoshop, After Effects, then maybe I could understand your argument.

The iPad is still hampered by its interface for certain workflows and its just with iOS 11 where we start seeing some improvements. So, faster hardware wasn't necessarily gonna make it better. Whats needed is better UI.

17. apolloa macrumors G4

That’s all fine, it leave more focus on the new iPhone X styled SE then....

I hope.. if not then their will be no new SE I fear, just a mild spec bump and a price increase.

18. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Completely agree. IIRC there has only been one event so far this year, and I should really call it an “event” which was the education/iPad initiative that was in Chicago, sans live stream (thank goodness). Apart from that has anything really dropped product wise (apart from the obligatory new watch bands)?

As for the delays-Air Power originally on their website stated spring 2018, that has since been removed, and is practically 9 months since its unveiling-more of ‘schil philler’ saying “there are other wireless chargers out there but if you wait you can have our fancy 3-in-1, oh and it will charge your new Apple Watch 3 and AirPod case* (with additional purchase).”

I’ll admit I am more negative than positive when it comes to Apple and this mystical pipeline, it’s been a line replayed over 6 years now.

I recognize WWDC is a developers conference the keynote however is a great marketing tool building hype-you have the media there gobbling up all they can get, primarily for the new iOS more than macOS, but still it’s apples chance to be in the spotlight-it’s a real shame if they let that opportunity pass.

19. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

20. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Probably finish keynote 30 minutes early.

21. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

“And now it’s time for the M-“

*whispers from stage left*

“For me to go home, enjoy the conference guys!” :p

22. randomplaydo macrumors member

I'm thinking and hoping Gurman missed the boat on this one. I mean, from his description it's a software focused event (well, duh!) that will not have any redesigns, no major changes, no major features, and some bug fixes. No Mac hardware, no iPad hardware, no watch hardware....um, then what the hell are they talking about for 2 hours? Slides about downloads and an hour on the 3 changes to ARKit? Come on now, what he's describing is a 40 minute keynote.

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I can’t wait. This might be the bestest WWDC ever.

24. profets macrumors 601

Feels like it could be another 2014. I remember there wasn’t really any hardware, but everyone was blown away by all the software related announcements, most of which were truly unexpected.

25. soldano macrumors newbie

I'll be incredibly disappointed if Apple doesn't announce refreshed MacBooks and iPad Pros at WWDC, as I've been eagerly waiting to buy both and I refuse to invest in outdated technology. Their laptop line in particular is embarrassingly out of date.