Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
You people with your movie star ideas of apple and Tim Cook are so hilariously off base. The files are gone because apple paid up. Not much more they can do. Nobody had their address, apple didn’t send John wick after them, grow up. This is the real world and third party breaches is where most of this stuff goes down. How do I know? I work in third party risk management. Have done so for 15 years. No fairy tail ending here, children. Someone paid up. Quanta didn’t pay a dime because of indemnification clauses in contracts. Sheesh. It’s like I have to explain to a brick wall.

Reactions: Capeto and JPack

BigKahunaBurguer

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
You people with your movie star ideas of apple and Tim Cook are so hilariously off base. The files are gone because apple paid up. Not much more they can do. Nobody had their address, apple didn’t send John wick after them, grow up. This is the real world and third party breaches is where most of this stuff goes down. How do I know? I work in third party risk management. Have done so for 15 years. No fairy tail ending here, children. Someone paid up. Quanta didn’t pay a dime because of indemnification clauses in contracts. Sheesh. It’s like I have to explain to a brick wall.
Dude, the hackers only wants attention with this operation. They know Apple is not going to pay. And that's why they ask for 50 million. This is just a big promotion for them. They make a lot more money on a smaller scale with not-so-powerful companies. Now everyone talks about them. And deleting the documents, it can appear that Apple has paid. When do not. Apple is not his target at all.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I really don't care where you work or don't work, but there's no way that Apple would have paid a penny. One, because it is illegal. As in criminally illegal. Two, because Apple doesn't want to encourage criminals. Three, because any damage is already done. Whatever was published has been copied. Four, because there isn't really that much damage. There is no way that Google, Samsung, Microsoft, Dell etc. would touch anything that was stolen by criminals with a barge pole. Anyone using any of these materials would be setting themselves up for a major lawsuit, that would cost them a lot more than $50 million.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
From what I know, Apple has actually engaged in negotiations as the stolen documents may actually give a clue as to who paid for the attack. Apparently, Intel is trying to get their hands on internal documents and is rumored to be the beneficiary of the hack.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
From what I know, Apple has actually engaged in negotiations as the stolen documents may actually give a clue as to who paid for the attack. Apparently, Intel is trying to get their hands on internal documents and is rumored to be the beneficiary of the hack.

TSMC got hit a few years ago and I can believe Intel would have benefited. TSMC definitely paid out that time, even though they denied it of course.

Not only does Apple prefer these materials stay confidential, Quanta feels the same way. Quanta's manufacturing know-how isn't something to be shared with their competitors like Luxshare, Wistron, and Foxconn.

UncleDaddySam

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
I just think it would be funny if Apple responded with a message that just contained the names and addresses of people involved and they went “oh ****” and took everything down
Apple froze their Apple IDs rendering all their iPhones, iPads, and Macs useless until the information was removed:eek:

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
You Apple haters are funny and with your zero clue about what a company with the kind of money that Apple has can do!
When you have access to their kind of cash it gives you access to very dark actors, think Jason Bourne !
Fixed it for you.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Pretty simple logic.

If the group was shut down, then why is their dark web site still up?

Let’s not be silly with these comic superhero fantasies. It’s pretty clear who capitulated. You ain’t finding these guys if they’re in Russia.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan

Attachments

• 7DE7B588-D09E-45F3-9939-3F0512B53498.jpeg
    7DE7B588-D09E-45F3-9939-3F0512B53498.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 26

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Looks like Putin’s got pissed off that his hacker boys didn’t get enough money so the government fined Apple $12 million today. All that money will be spent on villas and spas and ?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Highly doubt anyone paid up. It just sets a very dangerous precedence moving forward if Apple did as everyone will be after their payday by any means necessary. Even forcing employees & especially third-party contractors/vendors to provide data by physical force if they know the money is that easy to come by.

PavelKovalev

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
I've read that they [REvil] made a discount on ransom for Quanta, $20MM by 7 May. They might've hidden the page to help negations. They also warned Quanta that they'll release "new iPad, new Apple logos" if they fail to respond.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You Apple haters are funny and with your zero clue about what a company with the kind of money that Apple has can do!
When you have access to their kind of cash it gives you access to very dark actors, think Jason Bourne !
Fixed it for you.

Real world situation: Ming-Chi Kuo has been publishing accurate info for the past decade. What has been done?

Unlike on TV, money doesn't buy everything.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Ransomeware criminal probably kept his word, looks like there is honour among thieves.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
"The group actively continues to extort other companies, so what has prompted it to remove all content linked to the Quanta hack remains unknown."

So why can’t these criminals be found and prosecuted? Are you telling me the governments of the world, especially the U.S. are not competent enough to find them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.