Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cocoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Netherlands
Hey folks — excited to post here again, the last time I was active on MR was when I got my first-gen MacBook Pro (!), so it's been a while.

1*ZBeI5ezrdn4379yxgOwPXQ.png

We released Halide 1.10 over the weekend with support for a cool new feature called 'Smart RAW'. If you've used Halide or other third party camera apps before, you probably know how powerful RAW can be, but it turns out that due to the way the iPhone XS camera shoots images, RAW files were noisy and overexposed.

You can read a bit more in this deep dive I did on the iPhone XS camera here.

With our new version, we apply adjustments intelligently to get the best possible exposure and do some special handling of the file to get the best possible RAW shots. The results are fantastic: sharper results than the iPhone X, or any iPhone previously, really.

Here's a shot I took with Smart RAW and the iPhone XS Max:

1*YITV_Xfc8CZkZL_F-W_Eug.jpeg

Zooming way in on the boat, you can actually make out the letters on the pillow (!)

1*ksGAPR61jHJRmym-x3xrlA.png

This kind of detail is just unbelievable.

In addition to Smart RAW, we packed in all the new features and improvements from our 1.9 update, which include up to 8x better performance on all iPhones (including less battery use; in some testing, we use less power than the stock camera app!), iOS 12 feature support like Shortcuts, Technical Readout for camera specs viewing, the iPhone XR's excellent neural-network based portrait mode refinement technology for all newer iPhones with Bionic chips (X, 8+, XS) and of course: "Hey Siri, take a photo";

1*n45kvDsnoA7Gdk5rZy5Yhg.png

We hope you get a chance to try it out! If you love it, have feedback or questions, or anything else, feel free to let me know. :)

Grab Halide here.

Cocoi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Netherlands
We just updated Halide with Smart RAW features from our new app, Spectre. We now use AI to get the best possible auto-exposure for RAW files. :) Give it a shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.