Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It seems possible that people might be taking the AVP off with one hand, like how I take ski goggles off. Obviously this would be wrong. You don't treat a $3500 electronic device the same a $100 goggles. Ski goggles are designed to be rugged, with enough flex and the glass is thick enough that it can take some abuse.

I'd hold off until Apple beefs up the chassis (less flex) or make the glass laminate* thicker/stronger.

*It's glass. It's plastic/polymer. It's has layers, like Shrek.

good tip thank you.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Unless I missed something, no one suggested any of the AVPs in question were dropped. There is a big difference between stress due to impact and stress due to a design defect that causes a break through normal operation.

Even in your example though, the 100 phones would not have impact damage in the same corner, would they?

The assumption being made my some/many here is that there is no user fault which has not been proven. Whatever these users are doing may be contributing to the problem (this is not an assignment of blame to the user).

For the second point I was suggesting that a common stress point (a corner/any corner) looks very similar in the end if you just look at the screen.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It is beta product so cracks, literal as well, are showing.

Apple, and others are following the trend of releasing beta products at full price to consumers. Unfortunately, young users and others who are not aware of this change, are just accepting this behavior as normal, so companies will keep doing this.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Key word is “a handful”. How many were sold? 300,000? Some of these may also have been poorly handled and of course they would say they did nothing to cause it. Of course it still could actually be an issue and as time goes on we shall see

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Whether we have a positive or negative opinion of this product, I just don’t think making excuses for an expensive piece of hardware released by a $multi-trillion corporation is the way to go. Nothing in Apple’s marketing suggests this is a “development” version and we should therefore expect physical issues with it. If you buy an expensive device and it breaks unexpectedly and without any obvious reason in a couple of weeks, “surprise” will be the first and least negative emotion you will experience. Why lower the bar for Apple by saying something like this should be expected?

We still don’t actually know if this is a design or manufacturing issue, but if the reports about the crack being in the same location are true, user error looks less likely.
You may be surprised, but I actually agree with you. My hope is that people will learn not to believe everything Apple marketing says blindly and not pay a crazy amount for something that clearly can not meet their expectations because the technology necessary does not exist, and even Apple can’t do magic.

artjart

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2023
Apple in March: "We introduce the Cover Retina Strip Pro for $399 to cover the cracks in your Apple Vision Pro glass in case if you don't like it. And Cover Retina Strip Pro Max for just $599 that is made from the organic clouds material to fit our 2030 'No humans - no problems' agenda"

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
We need Apple Vision Pro bend tests to figure out if tightening the headstraps could cause the aluminum frame to bend and put too much strain on the front glass. Somebody call Jerry?

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015

A small number of Apple Vision Pro owners have claimed that their headsets developed a hairline crack down the middle of the front cover glass, despite having never been dropped or mishandled.

cracked-glass-vision-pro.jpg

Photo of hairline crack in Vision Pro front glass (credit: Reddit user Inphenite)

The first report was posted in the subreddit /r/VisionPro about 18 days ago, and several more have appeared in the last week. All of the images show a distinctly similar vertical hairline crack above the nose bridge, implying that the damage is occurring at a particular point of tension, where the curvature of the laminated glass is most pronounced.

We were unable to find additional similar reports on social media, on Apple's online Support Community, or in the MacRumors forums, suggesting that this is quite possibly a manufacturing defect limited to a small batch of units, rather than a widespread problem.

The reports all mention that the crack became visible suddenly and for no apparent reason, after the headsets had been connected to the external battery pack and stored overnight (some in Apple's Travel Case) with the soft front cover attached.

One theory is that the crack is due to pressure exerted on the glass when tightening the straps, which is causing "bowing" of the surrounding frame. Others speculate that the problem may be due to an overheating issue which is expanding the glass and leading it to crack at its weakest point. Given that the battery is external to the headset, any heat generated would presumably need to be caused by a background software process gone haywire.

Apple's documentation states that Apple Vision Pro continues to draw power from the battery pack when it is not in use, allowing the device to sync mail, photos, and other data. If the headset isn't worn for 24 hours, Vision Pro powers down automatically.

With AppleCare, the deductible fee for a cover glass repair costs $300. Without AppleCare coverage, the same repair costs $800. Some of the owners affected say they have contacted Apple Support and have been asked to pay the repair costs, since the crack has not officially been identified as a manufacturing defect.

Apple typically introduces special repair programs for products that have a recognized hardware issue, but Apple is unlikely to undertake an internal manufacturing probe unless reports of identical defects become more widespread. Anyone with the same issue is advised to contact Apple Support and escalate their case to increase the likelihood that Apple sees a potential problem requiring a formal investigation.

Article Link: Handful of Apple Vision Pro Units Develop Identical Crack in Cover Glass
Repair the plastic cover or use the money for a new iPhone or MBA?

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
It’s actually glass. From Apple’s product page: “A singular piece of three-dimensionally formed laminated glass acts as an optical surface for the cameras and sensors that view the world.”
Strictly speaking, a glass can be mineral (SiO2-based) or organic (carbon-based polymer, usually known as ‘plastic’)
I won’t be surprised Apple marketing using the word ‘glass’ for a plastic, although here likely some ‘advanced’ polymer material.

Last edited:

Kevin2055

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2015
Strictly speaking, a glass can be mineral (SiO2-based) or organic (carbon-based polymer, usually known as ‘plastic’)
I won’t be surprised Apple marketing using the word ‘glass’ for a plastic, although here likely some ‘advanced’ polymer material.
Who taught you plastic can be called glass?

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
The only rational decision is to stay away from this product. It's insane that people are being made to pay to repair what's clearly a design flaw.

I really sympathise with US consumers - in Europe this would fall under 'poor workmanship at point of sale' laws and require Apple to fix for free or refund. Please elect some people who will make this situation better for you guys.

From my experience is that Apple used to replace defective products for free no questions asked. Now they will do anything to not have to, even when it’s 100% a manufacturing flaw or defective part. This is what happened with my 15 pro max, the thing has a defect and the phone is a brick and Apple blamed me for it and refused to replace it. Doesn’t give me much confidence in any of their newer products.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
For those giving this product a pass because it’s a 1st generation or “beta”.

This isn’t a dress rehearsal. Apple is selling this as a finished product to real people.

The fact that even a few of these have cracked in the same place should be a worry to anyone thinking of ordering it, at least until a more widespread issue is ruled out.

I just hope that they figure this out before global release, else us non AVP Apple users will be paying for this **** for decades.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
at least until a more widespread issue is ruled out.

Statistics doesn’t work like this, we already have data from many thousands of people who do not have any issue. Having a handful of cases is well within the margin of acceptable hardware failures (covered under warranty) on a product where they have already sold hundreds of thousands of units. The data is already pointing that it is not a widespread issue. So unless suddenly hundreds of cases appear there is no reason to believe otherwise.

But of course the truth doesn’t get clicks so now we have to hear about the same 5 people with cracked AVPs on every site on the planet and make a big deal about nothing.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
To clarify here, you are quoting a statement from 19 years ago as if it has relevance to today's concern?!

And to further clarify, there is a big difference between a crack and a mold line.

Only logic is being screwed here.
I said it was an example how Phil “my ass we can’t innovate” Schiller handled the previous crack gate. There was no recourse as far as I’ve seen through my quick search. Anyone know otherwise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.