Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Where’s all those fine folks on here who just a few weeks ago, before release, were thumbs-downing everyone on here who spoke against their golden Apple product that’s the ‘best thing since sliced bread’? Awfully quiet these days!

They were beaten back by the far more vocal and vicious nothing to say nice group :)

The product is a fantastic attempt at the next level and what potential there is out there. We just need to be realistic about what the AVP currently is and what it can, or can’t, do.

Could not agree more. Been consistent in saying that.

First gen products have defects. That's fine. Issues happen. What's not fine is Apple denying warranty claims.

Stand behind your products, Apple.

This is literally days old. There is bound to be some confusion with the first few cases that come in, or do you think the front line employee that gets the first case should automatically declare a state of emergency and there is a design or manufacturing flaw? because right now all we have is anecdotal evidence of a handful of cases and what some frontline employee does.

This is a corporate Apple evaluation/decision issue. Before we denounce corporate Apple let's give them time to collect more data, determine a cause (and they will), and then decide what to do. This is not life or death, so they will take some time.

In the meantime, I am glad I have AppleCare + and if this happens to me I will have to remind myself I said 'be patient.' I will be following this closely and take whatever preventative measures I can. I will be careful about over tightening, and will be careful to let it cool before putting on the cover. But frankly, I have already been doing this.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Indeed, that's what laminated glass is - are we clear it's the glass part that is cracking (under the plastic layer) and not the plastic (on the exposed surface) tho?

(sounds rather unplausible to me, but may as well ask)

That is a reasonable question, not sure it matters in effect. I'd be livid if my $4000 VR headset looked like that even if it was purely cosmetic.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Likely the calls to AppleCare and visits to the store are being logged as cases for the engineers to look at and to track and the AC reps will start having to ask certain questions. If this keeps happening Apple will recognize the issue, the engineers will have been working on a plan, and then they'll announce what to do moving forward. Seems like it is an issue but they'll have to see more of it before they'll do anything.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Guess what? YouTubers who actually tear down and test Vision Pro found out it's a plastic part on front. Clearly, dont trust Apple all the time.
Did you stop watching the video at the 3:00 minute mark? Try FF to 9:30 and Zack literally says, ”but at least we now know that there is glass underneath all of that plastic.”

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Well, Apple has been very specific about how to hold, put on, and THEN adjust/tighten the Vision Pro. I guess one might need to be extra careful about following those instructions.

nsklaus

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2020
another product from apple with unfinished design and insufficient quality testing. rushed to be put on sale.
money grab and hype machine. i couldn't care less as i didn't plan to buy this expensive scuba diving gear and put it on my face anyway, but it goes to show that, as i was saying lately on this forum, the quality of apple products has been greatly degrading these last 10 years. they don't care and they continue these bad practices. i wouldn't be surprised to hear is also has unfinished software and lots of bugs. great addition to the family, along with those:

- magic mouse (belly up charging and that register lost of false events as you put your hand on it)
- touch bar (that doesn't last a year and miss input events upon touch, you often time have to press twice)
- apple pencil 2 (that will drain your ipad battery after 2h of use, 100% cpu usage bug in code)
- airpodmax (without a power button, missing codecs, and condensation problem)
- butterfly keyboard (that doesn't register typing events well and get stucked keys)
- poor state of macos (ever growing list of bugs, doesn't support many industry standards and frameworks, removal of 32bits, still doesn't have its own package manager, updates from apple that can brick your device ..etc..)

these are not "bad luck", they are the symptoms of bad management decisions, bad design and insufficient quality testing before releasing products on the market.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
The crack may be in the same location due to the stresses applied being similar.

If you examine 100 phones with a cracked screen you may find that many also have a scratched/dented corner. That is due to the fact that the corner hits first when dropped, and as such the stresses are highest there.
Unless I missed something, no one suggested any of the AVPs in question were dropped. There is a big difference between stress due to impact and stress due to a design defect that causes a break through normal operation.

Even in your example though, the 100 phones would not have impact damage in the same corner, would they?

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Not to introduce data into a roast, but how are we 194+ comments in without the drop test videos being submitted?!

What I got from these is they will scratch easily (which is why I put on the cover these days after it cools down) but doesnt seem to crack or shatter too easily. The fact these were all drop tests on the front, and not the sides, does give some credence to the idea it is side pressure that might be the issue. Don't over tighten :)

But yeah, sorry. data. shame on me.

It's going to take Apple some time to sort this out.

Reactions: aParkerMusic

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Should Apple replace these units if they don’t impact the usage of the device?

Doesn’t seem like they did anything with the power Mac g4 cube

Phil Schiller, Apple's vice president of worldwide product marketing, made the company's position clear.

"We are not aware of--and I don't believe there is any issue with--the longevity of the material and anything becoming or emerging as a weakness or crack over time," he said. "There is no information that we have that that's the case."

Apple's support Web site deals with the mold lines in a cursory manner, referring to them as "normal" and "not cracks."

My friends you are screwed.

BenLeong

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
So, $3500, plus $800 for a glass replacement without Apple Care, plus tax.

Users experiencing this are now out almost $5,000, and have no idea if replacement glass will continue to crack in the same way, setting them back $800 each time.

Reactions: arkitect

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
We are not aware of--and I don't believe there is any issue with--the longevity of the material and anything becoming or emerging as a weakness or crack over time," he said. "There is no information that we have that that's the case

To clarify here, you are quoting a statement from 19 years ago as if it has relevance to today's concern?!

And to further clarify, there is a big difference between a crack and a mold line.

Only logic is being screwed here.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Well, Apple has been very specific about how to hold, put on, and THEN adjust/tighten the Vision Pro. I guess one might need to be extra careful about following those instructions.
It seems possible that people might be taking the AVP off with one hand, like how I take ski goggles off. Obviously this would be wrong. You don't treat a $3500 electronic device the same a $100 goggles. Ski goggles are designed to be rugged, with enough flex and the glass is thick enough that it can take some abuse.

I'd hold off until Apple beefs up the chassis (less flex) or make the glass laminate* thicker/stronger.

*It's glass. It's plastic/polymer. It's has layers, like Shrek.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.