Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm hearing impaired. I almost never use the phone part of my iPhone. But I use iMessage/SMS every day. And email. And twitter. And any other number of apps that bring me closer to the people I love.

Don't be so short-sighted.

Ok I apologize, however in context to the general population, this is still a salient point. More people text and email than phone or even meet in person. We're becoming too dependent on electronics for social connectivity.

One thing I wish Apple pushed through, back during the beta stages of OS X 10.5 there was a feature in iChat called "Answering Machine". This allowed users to leave an away video message and for people to leave one in return, it would have been perfect for the hearing impaired.

Leopard iChat Answering Machine

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Wrong, one has optical stablization which is night and day difference. :)

Not really. OIS on a phone is not going to be a huge deal for most people. And it's like 1 of the two selling points to get the Plus besides the screen size. Not worth the hugeness and extra $100

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
iBooks icon

What is the real iBooks icon?

iBooks.PNG

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
haha yeap but don't forget the Optical Image Stabilisation in the Plus model only!
These updates are hilarious.

Seriously, there are a ton more options in nearly all the high end android lineup of smartphones. You'd expect apple to have more than 8MP offering and OIS limited in the 5.5" model only.

There's absolutely nothing that I am impressed with especially in the camera department in today's announcement. Not even impressed with the watch since it looks awful in person (hands on video) - the square screen has thicker than imagined bezels too and overall just doesn't look good. Sure the promo ads look awesome but in person hands on video shows that it is really ugly.

I expected QHD screen, SIRI that can control your device options, NFC that supports NFC TAGs and apps that can use those TAG commands, more than 8MP camera, HDR VIDEO MODE, 1080p with full sensor zoom (16MP S5 can zoom in using FULL SENSOR MP in video!), voice controls for shutter, I mean the list goes on but I guess most high end android smartphones already do all this but it's an iPhone so whatever last year tech they sport, it's the holy grail

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
PEople were saying the build quality of the chinese leak was fake, not the design. This phone looks like the Volks one, not the chinese leak. Even the chinese leaker had the wrong performance, so pretty much a fake. Kinda funny that the 5.5 body didn't leak at all.

Meh, my iPhone 5's build quality is not that good too. The glass panel is not flush with the aluminium. Most likely that these leaks are controlled, therefore there was no 5.5 leaks..

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
how many of you 'loving the new iPhone form factor' were criticizing android phones for being too clumsy/too big two years ago?

I don't like the 6 or 6+, especially the 6+. You forget that there are a lot of us out there who loved the 4' screen size.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So in the end, Apple steals the HTC One M8 design and makes it uglier?

First time I think having an android/windows phone that is better looking then the iPhone..
You must not have eyes. The only way that looks similar is in the rounded casing.

I don't like the 6 or 6+, especially the 6+. You forget that there are a lot of us out there who loved the 4' screen size.
And there were others that liked the 3.5" size.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Right... Technically poor, it kills all other phones in single core performance and graphic performance... Has a stellar thougher than others screen, a touch biometric sensor miles ahead of anyone else, etc. A top of the line battery performance. They also got the brightest and best performing screen. Not to mention a top of line camera.

But, hey, that's poor in your book.

The Touch ID is shipping with 5s for year now, so that's not an upgrade.
Single core performance has to be best in class since Apple's chips have just two cores!
As for display and camera, it seems you're way too sensitive for what Apple PR guys tell to you. None of us have seen those in real life. But from characteristics POV there's absolutely nothing stellar about them.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
There's absolutely nothing that I am impressed with especially in the camera department in today's announcement. Not even impressed with the watch since it looks awful in person (hands on video) - the square screen has thicker than imagined bezels too and overall just doesn't look good. Sure the promo ads look awesome but in person hands on video shows that it is really ugly.

I expected QHD screen, SIRI that can control your device options, NFC that supports NFC TAGs and apps that can use those TAG commands, more than 8MP camera, HDR VIDEO MODE, 1080p with full sensor zoom (16MP S5 can zoom in using FULL SENSOR MP in video!), voice controls for shutter, I mean the list goes on but I guess most high end android smartphones already do all this but it's an iPhone so whatever last year tech they sport, it's the holy grail

We get it you're a spec lover so get an Android slab and move on. Thats the beauty of choice in the market.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
And that is the problem right there. It's a phone, used to call people. All these bells and whistles aren't bringing us together, they're making our lives more complicated and if you are buying a mobile phone of which you hardly use the "phone" part, maybe people should rethink it.

Did you miss the part where he wanted a portable pocketable smart device? As for the rest of your comment, that's a subjective thought process.

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Seriously, there are a ton more options in nearly all the high end android lineup of smartphones. You'd expect apple to have more than 8MP offering and OIS limited in the 5.5" model only.

1. QHD is pointless is such a small screen size.
2. Siri - it already can
3. Tags never took off.
4. More than 8MP like Samsung is doing actually sacrifices everything else for the sake of more pixels
5. HDR video mode - why? I wouldn't use it even if I was on Android.
6. 1080p w/ full sensor zoom - no idea what the hell that is
7. Voice controls for shutter - those voice controls are not accurate at all

Basically, very little you said that actually is done in Android works well.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Protruding lens?!?

Wait - with the protruding lens (on just the "Plus"?), I'd be concerned with:
  1. The phone will NOT sit flat on a surface, causing it to wobble when used this way (as opposed to being used when being held);
  2. If the phone is slid across a surface, it may cause marring / scratching to the surface; and
  3. The lens itself will have a high risk of getting scratched. Tougher lens glass means it is more RESISTANT to getting scratched, not IMMUNE to getting scratches.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And that is the problem right there. It's a phone, used to call people. All these bells and whistles aren't bringing us together, they're making our lives more complicated and if you are buying a mobile phone of which you hardly use the "phone" part, maybe people should rethink it.

You're hilarious. It's never been a pure phone. There were apps that did non-phone things from day 1. Yes, it's got "phone" in the name, but that doesn't mean we should use an iPad as a pad or a MacBook as a book.

And it brings people together better than ever before. Messaging apps. Dating apps. Find friends apps. Meeting apps. Etc.

However, if YOU really want a phone that is a phone, perhaps you could find what you are looking for elsewhere??? I think there are still cell phones that are pretty much just phones. Go get what you want.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Absolutely, I can see know why they went to all the effort to build a huge structure just to announced a couple of phones and a watch.. desperation, the needed to get all the journalists in to woo them all...

The camera quality may be very good though, we will have to wait and see but I suspect the Sony Xperia 3 Compact may offer better photos, but having 16GB as the standard storage size the jumping to 64 either means they think no body will buy the 16GB one, or they think everyone will buy it and they make more profit as a result, oh and lets not forget the monthly fee to pay for that extra 20GB unsecured storage as you can't upgrade the phones memory!

Sorry for going on but good grief these updates are a joke for the money. RIP iPhone 4 is all I have to say, the best one they ever made..

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
1. QHD is pointless is such a small screen size.
2. Siri - it already can
3. Tags never took off.
4. More than 8MP like Samsung is doing actually sacrifices everything else for the sake of more pixels
5. HDR video mode - why? I wouldn't use it even if I was on Android.
6. 1080p w/ full sensor zoom - no idea what the hell that is
7. Voice controls for shutter - those voice controls are not accurate at all

Basically, very little you said that actually is done in Android works well.

1) Lol, until apple says it's "ready"
2) no it cannot
3) it's more than useful; you don't have experience with it.
4) what a joke, you don't know what an S5 camera can do
5) Superior video, that's what
6) S5 uses full 16MP to capture video; you can then zoom in and there is NO loss in resolution
7) lol, it works 99% of the time. Try taking selfie without voice activated shutter; but iPhone doesn't have it so it's not useful

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Samsungs Note Edge is innovation and something different, the iPhone 6 Plus offers nothing, oh apart from OIS, other than just a bigger iPhone with a few OS tweaks.
Even Sony's Z2 is different as it's water and dust proof, the Z3 even more so.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You're hilarious. It's never been a pure phone. There were apps that did non-phone things from day 1. Yes, it's got "phone" in the name, but that doesn't mean we should use an iPad as a pad or a MacBook as a book.

And it brings people together better than ever before. Messaging apps. Dating apps. Find friends apps. Meeting apps. Etc.

However, if YOU really want a phone that is a phone, perhaps you could find what you are looking for elsewhere??? I think there are still cell phones that are pretty much just phones. Go get what you want.

Every one is entitled to their opinion, tone it down a notch cowboy. ;) Nothing but love here

(read my response post before getting up in my George Foreman)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.