Hands-On With Apple Card

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM.

1. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

The Apple Card is the same thickness as other credit cards.

The banking industry has set up tight guidelines on the card size. If a card is too thick, it will jam up various POS devices. If the card is too thin, it will crumple and jam up the device as well.

Go ahead. Put your Apple Card and another credit card on a hard flat surface adjacent to each other. The cards will be the same thickness. The main difference will be the raised characters; some newer credit cards do not have the raised characters.

TheVerge editor (Nilay?) made a similar comment about the Apple Card being thicker which he later withdrew.

The Apple Card is not thicker.

It is indeed heavier. I'm leaving mine at home because I have another card that gives back 2% for swipe/EMV transaction and also exports data to Quicken/Mint.com/etc.

Apple/GS have to try a lot harder if they want me to use the Apple Card on a regular basis. Right now, I will probably only use it for $100+ Apple Pay purchases while traveling abroad.

2. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Right or using the card to open a locked door.

3. quietkaos macrumors newbie

quietkaos

I was approved last Wednesday. As of 8 pm Tuesday my card has not shipped. So not so immediate for me.

4. Baymowe335, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Name another card doing the same things from a reporting, security, fees, design and rewards perspective.

5. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Is there a NFC in the packaging or in the card when you have to hold your iPhone close to activate?

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

I have 600,000 Chase points (only say this to emphasize I understand the points game) and use a Sapphire Reserve for most purchases, but the Apple Card is going into the rotation for Apple purchases and ApplePay (non dining and non travel).

Reserve is 3% for Travel and Dining.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM ---
    Other cards for other things. 2% instant cash for ApplePay at many locations is leading or among leaders for rewards.

No one should care about credit card interest rates.

7. M-Life macrumors 6502

M-Life

Have you ever receive the official email invite from apple? Not the confirmation after applying.

I’m in the same situation but less days waited. I have not received an invite email but applied successfully via the wallet.

8. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I got my card today. It is a very interesting design. I like the fact there is no info on the card. I used the Wallet App over the weekend to buy a 13" MacBook Pro. Setting up a full payment was seamless and I like how UI changes based on the amount you are paying. 3% back on the MacBook purchase wasn't bad. It was added to Cash Card which is pretty cool. I have plenty of cards so I won't use this often. But I am curious to see how the other card issuers will respond.

9. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Exactly! It has it’s place, but, it’s quite limited, overall. Places that take ApplePay, but, aren’t restaurants...and, sometimes Apple...but, not always.

10. AppleZilla macrumors regular

Looking over the benefits of my new Apple Card. No extended warranty coverage on items. I just had an expensive kitchen appliance ($450) burn out 6 months after the warranty was over. The manufacturer told me they would not do anything. My Citi card refunded the entire purchase price.

Doubt I'll use this card for anything except Apple products. And if they don't provide zero percent financing like the now defunct Barclay Apple Card, I probably will hardly use it at all. If I want to pay interest, I can find better rates than 12.99% elsewhere.

11. xander49x macrumors member

xander49x

I received an email today, they could not send me my invite because they did not have my Apple ID, I was instructed to send my Apple ID and they will send my invite within 48 hours.

12. Docsta80 macrumors newbie

The same exact thing happened to me tonight. It keeps telling me to go to the Apple Card site and click on notify me again... wtf??

13. davidjmarks macrumors newbie

davidjmarks

While I like it so far, there is one big pain. There is an arbitration clause in the service agreement. You can opt out. However, you have to call the support number or write to Goldman Sachs to officially opt out. I called. The service rep says I have now opted out, but you get no confirmation that this happened. C’mon Apple, you can do better. What if I have a dispute five years from now and am forced into arbitration of which I thought I had opted out?

14. sbuntin macrumors regular

sbuntin

Not the end of the day, but pre-10:30am is generally the most stressful part of a FedEs courier's day. That's when they're getting all the P1s (Priority overnight) delivered. Percent on-time is probably the most important metric they have aside from safety (accidents etc). Having unexpected late P1 deliveries has effects both immediately (management wrath) and down the road (evaluations / raises).

15. kamran1998 macrumors member

kamran1998

Apple Card is not supported with 1st Gen Apple Watch...while every other credit card is! Wouldn't have applied for one if I knew this.

IMG_1952.jpg

16. jlocker macrumors regular

I have had my card for a couple days and I love how I hand it to a person to pay a bill they say wow it is heavy and love the white and silver color. They say I want one and how can I get one

17. hetrigger macrumors regular

hetrigger

Several things I have noticed...AC/GS doesn't have to replace the card every couple of years like the other cards. All that has to happen is they update digitally. For example: The expire int 2024...unless they are lost or severely damaged, the physical card does not have to be replaced...and the virtual one will be there till you die or they take it away or you give it up.

The other thing is regardless of what your limit or your interest rate...everyone that got one is no better than the other. Even playing grounds for all. If you want to feel special, hug that special card you love.

18. glowplug macrumors regular

glowplug

and Barclays is kicking themselves for turning Apple down.

19. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

There’s certainly not 300 million people waiting for the card, or anywhere near that, and it’s a pretty bad in the benefits department.

I would be interested if they announced an Apple Card Platinum say for $500 a year but include a lot more benefits than the paltry standard Apple Card.

20. theinstructor macrumors regular

theinstructor

My brother has a really strong credit score, 730ish and they said his debt to income is too high. He makes nearly 200k/yr. so their standard must be on some strange formula. He can get credit anywhere.

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Same. Did they say they didn’t have the AppleID that matched the one logged into iCloud? The email they sent me that is my AppleID, so something is wrong.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:13 PM ---
    Strange his credit rating is so low with such a high income. He must have other stuff going on.

22. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Oh lord..
    They are tying Card stuff to always being on the latest OS?

Bleh...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:15 PM ---
    Are you joking/being sarcastic?

(I hope?)

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

The benefits are appealing in several ways.

• Security
    • Ease of use
    • No fees, annual or foreign transaction fee
    • Instant rewards
    • 2% on thousands of locations and vendors with ApplePay...2% is about as good as it gets considering the wide range of places accepting ApplePay
    • 3% at Apple, 1% everywhere else.

You use different cards for different situations. Many cards offer 3% on certain items, even 5% are more limited items...but 2% cash back EVERYWHERE ApplePay is accepted along with the other benefits is very good.

24. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Mine arrived in the mail today via FedEx. I was invited last week one day after signing up to be notified of its release. I literally used the wallet app to apply for it while driving and it took about 1 minute. I was instantly approved for the card with a $10k limit and a 12.99% interest rate. I used it with ApplePay a few hours later at the cafe in my office building and again the next day at the same place. I noticed the cash back was credited to my Apple Cash account which I wasn’t expecting to happen so quickly. My card now has a balance of $10.25

Anyway the titanium card activation was especially cool. I hadn’t read anything about that so when I opened the box and it said to hold my iPhone up to it I didn’t know what To expect but immediately the little screen popped up and the card was activated. Neat!

I’m digging it. I rarely carry a balance and live debt-free, except for my mortgage, so I’ll be paying this off monthly most likely more than monthly. I never ever want to get in credit card debt again. Been there, done that and I don’t miss it. Do I need it? No. But I like it!

25. predation macrumors 65816

Is there a virtual cc # generation option? Would be such a nice handy feature.