Hands-On With Apple's New Glass-Backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today at the Steve Jobs Theater introduced the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus with an all-new aluminum and glass design.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus via The Verge

The Verge managed to get some hands-on time with the two new smartphones, which look more or less the same as the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, beyond their glossier looking glass-backed finishes.
    [​IMG]
    iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus via SlashGear

Those who owned an iPhone 4 may be concerned about Apple's return to a glass back, but it said the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have "the most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back."

Engadget's Chris Velazco held the iPhone 8 and felt it had a "bit of extra density" compared to previous models. Fortunately, SlashGear's Chris Burns said the difference is "near-impossibly-perceivable."

Apple's tech specs confirm the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are slightly heavier at 5.22 ounces and 7.13 ounces respectively, compared to 4.87 ounces and 6.63 ounces for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively.

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are also 0.2mm thicker than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively, so only the tightest of current cases may not fit.

Beyond their slightly thicker, glass designs, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus still have Touch ID, Lightning connectors, side Lock buttons, and no headphone jacks. And unlike the iPhone X, both still have bezels on the front.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Glass-Backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

2. profets macrumors 68040

Incredible how the bezels on these phones instantly look dated next to the iPhone X.

3. multipasser macrumors member

So that iphone X always has a black shape that masks out a part of the image?
    so watching a movie or pictures is not possible with 4 straight sides?

4. LuckyBubba macrumors member

LuckyBubba

Wireless charging is new to me and I'm curious to know if the phone can charge when it's sporting a case?

5. Rina11 macrumors member

Rina11

Besides the glass it looks just like my 7 plus

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

This is exactly why I'm ready for a new iPhone away from the iPhone 6/6S/7 form factor. I think It will be worth the wait, even if that means I won't receive until after November.

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I knew what was coming but this would have been better to have been shown an iPhone 8 and 8 Plus with smaller bezels and OLED screens. Plus all the other stuff.

8. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Yes it can Apple is selling leather ones already for the phones

9. NexusUser macrumors newbie

NexusUser

Besides wireless charging, did anything really change with the iPhone 8? It seems really disappointing...

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is seriously the first thought I had. Incredible the way that works. I am sure Galaxy owners have been thinking that for some time.

11. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Was going to get the X, now considering the 8 Plus for $200 less (and possibly months sooner). Figure the only trade-offs are bezels and Face ID. The bezels on the 8 though, I'm not sure I can get past that. I don't want to have a phone for 2-3 more years that has bezels like that. And now I'm considering the Note 8. I'm just a hot mess today. :p

12. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

That's correct it would seem.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It depends on the case, but generally speaking, yes.

14. SvenLorenz1975 macrumors newbie

SvenLorenz1975

Didn't expect to say this, but I'll probably go for the 8 plus. Bezels don't matter to me, Face ID and the OLED screen are first generation technologies that are bound to be buggy and since the 8 plus has the same CPU and RAM as the X, it'll outperform the X easily because of it's screen. And most apps, apart from the really big ones, are going to take forever to update to the new screen on the X anyway.

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

True tone, A11, camera upgrade, wireless charging, better battery.

16. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I can't believe I am saying this, but I feel Xiaomi got this better (obviously I only mean the design, not tech specs and Hair ID)

[​IMG]

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The X is the new design. The 8 is the same thing we have seen year over year since the 6: Better camera, processor, etc. That is what we usually get from yearly upgrades.

18. skutsko macrumors newbie

19. Greenlee macrumors newbie

Greenlee

So is this better than the iPhone X or what???

20. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Right there with you. With the underwhelming iPhone 8 and the dumb notch at the top of the iPhone X and the ridiculous price, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

21. eatrains macrumors regular

22. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Do any of the new iPhones have 120 MHz like the new iPad Pro's.

23. zapm macrumors newbie

zapm

Apple's website shows that the cases for the 7 and 7+ will fit the 8 and 8+.

24. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I want an iPhone SE update with latest processors and fast charging. Fast charging (not wireless charging) is about the only feature I care about.

The new phones, all of them, are too big/heavy -- the 8 is heavier than the 7 (which had tried to improve on the 6s)
    5.22 vs 4.87 vs 5.04.

25. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

Funny I was just thinking about how dated the iPhone X looks compared to my Note 8.