Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today at the Steve Jobs Theater introduced the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus with an all-new aluminum and glass design.

iphone-8-and-8-plus-800x512.jpg
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus via The Verge

The Verge managed to get some hands-on time with the two new smartphones, which look more or less the same as the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, beyond their glossier looking glass-backed finishes.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus look pretty much the same as their predecessors, but they have a new back cover that's coated in glass and gives them a somewhat fresher look. The glass blends into the sides of the phone incredibly well, better than we've seen on other phones. There's a subtle density to the glass, too, and overall it looks a lot better than the back of the 7. That glass back allows for wireless charging, which is one of the big new features here.
iphone-8-and-8-plus-slashgear-800x428.jpg
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus via SlashGear

Those who owned an iPhone 4 may be concerned about Apple's return to a glass back, but it said the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have "the most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back."

Engadget's Chris Velazco held the iPhone 8 and felt it had a "bit of extra density" compared to previous models. Fortunately, SlashGear's Chris Burns said the difference is "near-impossibly-perceivable."

Apple's tech specs confirm the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are slightly heavier at 5.22 ounces and 7.13 ounces respectively, compared to 4.87 ounces and 6.63 ounces for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively.

iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are also 0.2mm thicker than the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively, so only the tightest of current cases may not fit.

Beyond their slightly thicker, glass designs, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus still have Touch ID, Lightning connectors, side Lock buttons, and no headphone jacks. And unlike the iPhone X, both still have bezels on the front.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Glass-Backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

LuckyBubba

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Wireless charging is new to me and I'm curious to know if the phone can charge when it's sporting a case?

Reactions: psac
Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I knew what was coming but this would have been better to have been shown an iPhone 8 and 8 Plus with smaller bezels and OLED screens. Plus all the other stuff.

Reactions: VulchR and aylk
Comment

NexusUser

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2016
Besides wireless charging, did anything really change with the iPhone 8? It seems really disappointing...

Comment

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Incredible how the bezels on these phones instantly look dated next to the iPhone X.

Was going to get the X, now considering the 8 Plus for $200 less (and possibly months sooner). Figure the only trade-offs are bezels and Face ID. The bezels on the 8 though, I'm not sure I can get past that. I don't want to have a phone for 2-3 more years that has bezels like that. And now I'm considering the Note 8. I'm just a hot mess today. :p

Reactions: aylk
Comment

SvenLorenz1975

Contributor
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
Didn't expect to say this, but I'll probably go for the 8 plus. Bezels don't matter to me, Face ID and the OLED screen are first generation technologies that are bound to be buggy and since the 8 plus has the same CPU and RAM as the X, it'll outperform the X easily because of it's screen. And most apps, apart from the really big ones, are going to take forever to update to the new screen on the X anyway.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Besides wireless charging, did anything really change with the iPhone 8? It seems really disappointing...

The X is the new design. The 8 is the same thing we have seen year over year since the 6: Better camera, processor, etc. That is what we usually get from yearly upgrades.

Comment

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
Was going to get the X, now considering the 8 Plus for $200 less (and possibly months sooner). Figure the only trade-offs are bezels and Face ID. The bezels on the 8 though, I'm not sure I can get past that. I don't want to have a phone for 2-3 more years that has bezels like that. And now I'm considering the Note 8. I'm just a hot mess today. :p
Right there with you. With the underwhelming iPhone 8 and the dumb notch at the top of the iPhone X and the ridiculous price, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2008
I want an iPhone SE update with latest processors and fast charging. Fast charging (not wireless charging) is about the only feature I care about.

The new phones, all of them, are too big/heavy -- the 8 is heavier than the 7 (which had tried to improve on the 6s)
5.22 vs 4.87 vs 5.04.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.