Hands-On With Apple's New Glass-Backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. I7guy macrumors G5

iOS 11 is out for legacy devices. Updates are on the way.

2. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Does the gold have the black front, too ? Thank you

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I did on my samsung. but charging was slower then plugging it in.

4. Jamooche macrumors regular

Me too...I was totally planning to upgrade my 6s, but the changes don't seem worthy of an upgrade. I'm sticking with it until there is something completely different that makes what I use the phone for better.

5. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

I'm in the same boat. Going with iPhone 8 almost exclusively to keep Touch ID rather than face id. I constantly unlock my phone on the sly in meetings. Touch ID is great at that. I can do it below the table, or while my phone rests on the table. Face ID seems to mean I either enter the passcode or have to hold the phone up. Net loss for me.
    The other features, including the lost bezels, don't do it for me.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    Yup. That's where I'm at.

6. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

No, it still has the white front unfortunately.

7. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

Not just the design. The price.

8. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

It's funny you posted the same screen shot of how I think this screen shot looks tacky with the "chin" of the sensors. The blue glowing sphere button and what I'm assuming is the menu button (three white lines) look so awkwardly placed here for it being the demo to wow us. I think I would like it better personally if those areas got black barred or something when playing a game or watching some thing full screen. It appears it may all get awkwardly clipped. What's it look like when you flip the X 180 degrees? I'm curious how this will work on the daily. Seems like a nightmare for UI design.

9. Northgrove macrumors 65816

I'm guessing the iPhone 9, during this transitionary period, and the iPhone X (2018 Edition).

Following that one, only the iPhone X for the forthcoming years, perhaps renamed to just "iPhone".

I think they're moving to the same nomenclature as with the rest of their products, like the iMac, or Macbook. We don't call them iMac 6s or Macbook 7. If we want to be specific, we call them iMac Late 2015, etc.

Why that change? Because with the iPhone X design, Apple will be hard pressed to do any major, outstanding design changes for the foreseeable future. All they can do is adjust how the edges or back feel, how the cameras are aligned or look, the size of the device. Not much more.

iPhone X is the first in a series of iterative releases, mark my words.

10. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Don't worry, people will soon ruin that by wrapping the front and back in some naff Chinese plastic they got off eBay or Amazon.

11. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

So what happends when you drop an iPhone 8 or X?
    If the glas on the back shatters, then it cannot be replaced like on the iPhone 4, I guess. So you need a new phone as they would have to dissamble it entirely otherwise.

12. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

You could replace the glass back on the iPhone 4, and it wasn’t that expensive to replace. I actually think that the X will be the most repairable iPhone in a while (minus the cost of repairing the OLED display). You’ll no longer have to worry about dented aluminum. The stainless steel can be polished, but I’d think it would be much harder to dent it.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Of course they will. then those same people will use naff emoji's. ;)

14. michial macrumors 6502

michial

When Craig was doing the demo on stage and he turned it landscape on a video it looked awful with that cut out. No thanks. I prefer bezels. Otherwise I will constantly touch the screen with my fingers when holding it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    You’re exactly correct. Plus the X’s battery is at least one hour less than the 7+ and 8+.
    Yep. The 8+ will be faster and have a better battery than the X too.

15. Kung macrumors member

Pretty much in the same boat as others. I've got the iPhone 6 so it's definitely time for an update...but given the fact that the X and the 8 have the same processor, and the fact that it's pretty much guaranteed that Face ID isn't going to be any faster - and may be slower and more unreliable - than Touch ID, I'll gladly go with the 8 to save $300.

16. michial macrumors 6502

michial

The 8 and 8+ will be faster than the X too. Plus the 8+ already is showing it’ll have one hour better battery than the X per Apples own spec sheet.

17. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I don't like the size of the plus, so the battery might be the biggest differentiator. Two extra hours for the X over the 8 is tempting. Though you can get a lot of portable external batteries for the extra $300. :)

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

That was the one thing that bugged me when the 6 and 6 Plus were released. Some apps took forever to update to the bigger screen sizes.

If I wasn't due to update my series 0 Apple Watch, I probably would get the iPhone X. But I'll stick with the 8 or 8+. Plus, I'm used to the bezels and they don't really bother me. I'm sure once I get the next gen iPhone X, I won't be a fan of bezels, but for now they don't bother me.

19. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Per Apple’s spec sheets the X will get one hour less than the 7+ and 8+. It’ll be more I. Real time. I’m getting the 8+. It’ll be completely optimized and perfected compared to the newer X which will be much better next iteration.

20. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I certainly don't mean this to be inflammatory, but I wonder if everyone would still be so bummed if they had called it 7s instead of 8? It seems as if its incredibly similar to what an "s" cycle refresh would be for any given model, and that is (historically) what this year would usually bring. I would certainly understand the negative sentiments if they hadn't also just unveiled the X, but low-and-behold we have a brand new, flagship device. So why all the outrage?

21. omglolbbq macrumors newbie

omglolbbq

And 3D Touch!

22. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'm ok without 3D touch. And I could even live without fast charging. Main thing for me is size/weight. I temporarily owned an iPhone 6s and did not like it at all (returned within a couple of days).

23. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Exactly. It’s a good upgrade even from a 7plus I’m coming from. Twice the storage, better processor, camera, Trutone, portrait, wireless charging etc etc

24. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Has anyone seen any hands on video showing how responsive the iPhone 8 camera is? I am hoping it will at least match the Galaxy S8 (or even the S7), but I'm having doubt.. You don't know how sluggish the iPhone 7 camera is until you've tried the Galaxy :(

25. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

The high end will get Roman numeral (X, XI) while the lower end gets numeral version number (8, 9).
    Autofocus speed is #1 thing Apple need to fix. You can post correct a lot of things except for out of focus.