Hands-On With Apple's New Glass-Backed iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Hmm, I like my phone to look cool, of course, but ultimately I don't really care about how it looks compared to how it works. Compared to my 6, the 8 will have a much better/faster CPU/GPU, more RAM, a better camera, faster TouchID, 3D Touch (finally), water resistance, and wireless charging compatibility. Going from the 8 to the X would get me FaceID (neat trick but not a huge win), a bigger screen in an only slightly bigger phone (nice but not essential), a dual camera (this I would like, but the 8's camera is a huge improvement over the 6), and put me on the bleeding edge for a bunch of tech they were racing to get done in time. For a 35% increase in price (and waiting a couple months more, if you manage to order in the first 60 seconds - otherwise, likely much longer). I think I'll go with the 8. If you're coming from a 6+/6s+/7+, I could see the X being more compelling, because bigger screen in a smaller package.

2. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

This is mostly my calculus for preordering the 8, coming from a 6s. Enough improvements to make me content and hold me over until whatever they call X v2.
    (I'm hoping for Touch ID + Face ID)

3. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Realtime DNA sequencing can't be too far off, and then it'll be LickID. ;)

But, yeah, I'd love to see the second generation of the iPhone X, when they've had another year of development time, a year of production lines built out for some of the harder-to-source parts, and many months of feedback from huge numbers of phones in the field (going from a few dozen/hundred trusted employees to a few tens of millions of customers always uncovers a few quirks). The X is awesome, but it's also a v1.0 device.

4. juiyout macrumors newbie

I think you might've known about software development cycles..... nothing is ever done..

5. raghu8912 macrumors regular

Xiaomi has front camera at the bottom, you pick (Personal preference) what is better, flipping the phone for FaceTime video calls or have the notch on the top. Notch will not block pictures/Videos, both pictures & Videos will not use the whole screen including the notch area on the top.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    iPhone X is 10 year anniversary edition.