Hands-On With Apple's New iPadOS Software

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019.

1. FairlyKors macrumors regular

FairlyKors

The form factor is quite different as is, so I would definitely prefer both, ideally anyway.

The current MacBook Pro chassis is arguably not big enough (or designed well enough) to make use of the high end processors in it. It is amazing how well they do when you look at the size of PC laptops with 6 or 8 core CPUs in them—but the idea that the iPad can do everything that a high end laptop can do just doesn’t make sense.

If you want to compare a MacBook, MacBook Air or similar, there’s absolutely a point to be made however. And I’m not sure how long customers will be okay having features not accessible to them on their ~$1K iPad Pro that exist on their ~$1K MacBook Air.

If Apple were to be brave here they could potentially make a big leap beyond Microsoft and their sorta compromised “PC as a tablet” that’s found in the Surface. But if Apple drags their feet then the Surface could really make the iPad look like a horribly hobbled device with the potential to be so much more.

2. Viking2 macrumors member

Yes true. I have been wanting this for years. As for now I don't want others to use my iPad.

I think there is only one reason. Apple don't want to sell one iPad to a family. They want to sell one to each family member. They are even working on a solution so they can sell one to the dog.

For me it is pure business/greed.

3. sickoagb macrumors member

You’ve been able to have two Safari pages side to side since iOS 12! In fact I’m doing it right now

4. ericwn macrumors 68020

First few users on the forum I think report that it’s running very well - same for the Air 2. Not surprisingly as it doesn’t change the interface a great deal and iOS 12 already did a great job for those devices.

5. ericwn macrumors 68020

Do you know that many cases where a device is being shared in a productive environment that multiple users would make sense? I’m thinking the demand for the feature is rather minimal as the device is mostly used by one person - a good problem to have from a manufacturer standpoint of course.

6. derekamoss macrumors 6502a

Hard at work for the past five years. All of this should have already implemented a long time ago.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2019 ---
    Right on the mark!

7. ericwn macrumors 68020

I think if you need to dive into the Settings it’s not a standard feature, it’s an addition. Besides, this really isn’t a review in any form.

8. ericwn macrumors 68020

Last time I checked I was able to create content on any iPad or Mac. But sure, as a shareholder I applaud you for getting the 15k things thinking otherwise!

9. theOmega macrumors member

Yey, they brought the ruller back for Apple Pencil :)

10. Bistroengine, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019

Bistroengine macrumors regular

Bistroengine

How about when you have 3 or 4 kids in the house that you share an iPad with and you don’t want to see your screen cluttered with their apps or have access to your personal email, messages, etc. Sounds like a perfectly good use case to me.
    Yes, I realize that but I don’t manage a school. I manage 4 kids who all share the same iPad and I don’t have the cash flow to buy one for them all.
    Why does it not make sense for a family that shares an iPad to each have their own login with their own content, emails and messages separate from everyone else’s? I think it makes perfect sense. And you’re wrong about families buying a single iPad and sharing it. I can’t be the only one. Apple loves to think we’re all loaded with so much cash that we can just buy iPads like they’re candy but sadly that’s not the case (at least not in my household).

11. TomOSeven macrumors 6502

TomOSeven

Does anyone have any details about improved keyboard integration?
    Native WhatsApp support?
    XCode support?

12. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

We were all worried that MacOS would turn into crappy iOS -- but instead iOS is becoming more like MacOS! YAY!

13. derekamoss macrumors 6502a

Mouse support is not really at all mouse support. There isnt any real contextual menu. You can't really right click. It allows you to assign a command to the right mouse button, IE. when you click the right mouse button after selecting text a popup saying copy will appear and you can click on it, now when you go to the place where you would like to insert the copied text and right click, the only thing that will appear is the pop up saying copy you can click, you cant paste. Now if you wanted to you could open settings and go to assistance, assign right click to copy, select text and copy, then reopen setting and go to assistance and then assign the right click button for paste, then flip back to the app you were wanting to paste in, right click and then click paste.... I don't see many people being happy with that at all really though.

14. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Right now the solution for many is to buy a $50/$100 amazon fire tablet for the kids.

I had an old phone I would sometimes give to my child (she is young, so limited screen time) but the third party battery expanded and broke the display. I don’t want to learn fire/android just for a cheap kids device, but Apple doesn’t have low cost devices currently (new iPod touch would be the cheapest.)

I wonder if this will encourage the young generation growing up with amazon fire now to stick with amazon/android in the future, even when they will be able to afford Apple ecosystem devices?

15. ericwn macrumors 68020

I am aware what potential use cases are for user switching, it’s the same on any computer platform. I’m simply thinking this is probably a less pressing issue to fix as it sounds less common. A lot of families that I know already have iPads for the individual or pass their older iPads down to their children or grandchildren. A family that only has one iPad and shares it with 3-5 users I find likely less common.

16. Fixey macrumors regular

Fixey

Guess iOS returns to it’s original name for iPhones, iPhoneOS would simplify everything macOS, iPhoneOS, iPadOS, tvOS

iPhoneOS was renamed to iOS as it was now being used for iPad then AppleTV then they gives TV it’s own tvOS, now iPad so iOS only on iPhone it should be renamed back to iPhoneOS

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yeah it’s almost as if MacBook Pros and iMacs don’t exist.

18. derekamoss macrumors 6502a

Consumers have become Prosumers, not Professionals which they like to think.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Internet: The iPad needs more computer-like features and iPad-specific features.

Also Internet: Dude, my computer has had these features for a long time and iPad OS is bad because of fragmentation.

20. Bistroengine macrumors regular

Bistroengine

Been there, done that. However, a couple of my younger ones started showing some skills at drawing and I felt they would benefit from learning to draw on one of the new iPads with pencil support. My wallet felt they could share the device and both benefit from it :)

21. coachgq macrumors member

Ok, that makes a little sense, but I think they are really digging into the word "standard" if this is it's definition. So when I have a radio in my car, but I have to turn the volume knob up to use it for the first time, does that make my radio non-standard? Or to keep it in iOS terms, is battery percentage on my iphone not a standard feature since I had to go turn on that option?

I'm not trying to argue, just looking for more clarity.

22. kissmo macrumors 6502a

I know they don’t plan to turn the iPad into a laptop but for the mouse support, I pray theyhave some nice features for the Magic Mouse since I own an extra one which I could pair with my iPad Pro - Same goes for the TrackPad.

The general idea having support for these peripherals is awesome because sooner or later these devices tend to have hybrid usage.

I wonder thouhg, at that point if the MacBook would still make sense considering the power of the iPad?
    Personally I use 1 MBP 15 inch TB 2018 and a iPad pro 11.
    I would never consider a MB Air or MB simply because with iOS13 whatever MB and MB Air can do, an iPad can do the same.
    This is an interesting line which MB and MB Air fit into... kinda blurry...

Nevertheless, I am looking foward to iPadOS for the USB drives and mouse support.

23. Bistroengine macrumors regular

Bistroengine

I don't think it's less common at all and I realize that Apple is not motivated to add this feature because they would prefer everyone buy their own individual iPad but, as I stated, this scenario is not always financially feasible for many families.

24. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

The term “standard” here is more of a sense or design concept revolving around the touch and touch based control. “Displaying battery percentage or not” is an option, not really a “design choice” or concept, since having battery percentage visible or not does not define anything. Whereas “using a mouse with an iPad” is not part of a usual “touch control”, including taps and moving on-screen elements around. What iOS 13 do right now is displaying a circle on the screen, letting user know when they press the mouse button, assuming that mouse button is defined to perform a touch action, that circle will “touch” that element as if the user is using finger (or Apple Pencil lol) to touch the screen. Since Apple expects most users can use iPad without the need of “mouse support”, they decide to put “mouse support” under Accessibility menu, even referring the mouse as “Pointing Device”.

But I get it as I did not use the word “standard” in a concise and unambiguous fashion in my previous post. Sorry for that. Sadly not a native speaker.

25. urnotl33t macrumors member

urnotl33t

You must be new here. :)
    (obligatory. please don't kill me.)