Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
... by breathing on it". Really, I thought that this thin obsession died with Ive.
I’m happy to see Apple move away from Engineering-driven design and the resulting “Pro means bulky and heavy” design language that has corrupted the current crop of iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros — to Ive legacy Design-challenging Engineering to step up their game. We’re all better for it. Keep Hope alIVE!

• Love
Reactions: iPadified

riverer

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2012
I just don't get it. My hobby is music production and I use ableton live like most electronic music producers. Why would I buy an Ipad pro or even air with an M2 or M4 chip in it, when I cant run my music software on it?

Love the design, form factor, love taking notes and using it, but until I can actually run my software on it, its just really frustrating as a product. Its infuriating how Apple does this. Same deal with the macbooks, I'd like to switch to try Macos, but I need 16gb for ableton to be comfy... and suddenly we are up to £2000.

If I could run ableton on an Ipad properly I'd be getting a pro next week, if I could get a decent mac for a sensible price with 16gb of ram I'd have a macbook.

As it is I have a phone, watch, homepod x2, and air4 ipad.... and a windows laptop.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Ive legacy design without Steve Jobs was a trash legacy, thin iphones that burn with poor thermals and battery life, also poor butterfly keyboard with poor thermals and battery on the macbooks...thank God Ive is gone now

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I just don't get it. My hobby is music production and I use ableton live like most electronic music producers. Why would I buy an Ipad pro or even air with an M2 or M4 chip in it, when I cant run my music software on it?

Love the design, form factor, love taking notes and using it, but until I can actually run my software on it, its just really frustrating as a product. Its infuriating how Apple does this. Same deal with the macbooks, I'd like to switch to try Macos, but I need 16gb for ableton to be comfy... and suddenly we are up to £2000.

If I could run ableton on an Ipad properly I'd be getting a pro next week, if I could get a decent mac for a sensible price with 16gb of ram I'd have a macbook.

As it is I have a phone, watch, homepod x2, and air4 ipad.... and a windows laptop.
if your professional apps are not on ipadOS or are not the full version, then ipads are not for you

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

so its like your hobby is to travel and have utilitarian SUV but you wonder why you should buy an 2 doors sports car...
Is not like Apple just makes only one product

Kiteflygolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Looks great. Keyboard look nice, but theres still the same problem of losing the pencil. There’s no secure way to attach the pencil for transport. so if it’s not charging while you’re not using the iPad eventually it dies when you need it. There should be a fold over that keeps the pencil in place. so this this is designed to ensure you have to buy another pencil when you lose it,

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
I will come out and say I want Apple products to become thinner.

Because not saying it probably made Apple think everyone wanted thick products. No, I wasn’t complaining because older products are thin and I feel comfortable using them and seeing them becoming thinner.

I support products being thin. Just keep the battery life.

For those who wanted thicker products.. the only time thicker = more battery life is Apple watch ultra. And it was too bulky and ugly so I didn’t buy it

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I cannot imagine paying US$1000+ for a device with a 13" screen that somehow has no 3.5mm headphone jack.

In my job I worked with some folks who design software for the placement of components, like inside an iPad. They were understandably cagey about who their clients were, but it was clear that Apple was using something like that. I really think the only reason Apple is obsessed with the thinness of the device is that it's even harder for small manufacturers to match than it is for Apple. Their comparative advantage.
USB-C to 3.5mm adapter? The people using 3.5mm headphones is shrinking daily.

Reactions: crazynewf7

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
From another message thread:
I know Tim will never allow this because revenue from two devices is better than one. But... make a Magic Keyboard with enough internals to create a MacPad as per the link below (the iPad's M4 chip will be the SOC, the keyboard has the connections and whatever else Apple needs to provide (RAM w/ MacOS). Let's say the MacPad Magic Keyboard is $1000. I would love, LOVE this product with the new 13 IPP. Please, please if any Apple PMs are reading this, try to do something really innovative and focused on your hard-core professional users (I might qualify). Link:

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Now if Apple will just allow MacOS to run on the iPad, a dual boot option. That would be a much more desirable option than making it thin.

The answer is no and stop asking. It’s a tablet with a tablet UI that is optimised for use 20cm from your face.

macOS sidecar is painful to look at if you use it in mirror mode. Eye health is very important.

All Wacom and Huion tablets under 16” are also painful to use with a desktop UI.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
this is one place where weight matters, so that's a lot more important. Thin? As long as it doesn't bend, or sacrifice battery life, that's fine.

The bigger issue for me is that the keyboard still doesn't have a way to attach the pencil to it. I may end up with third-party keyboard cases because of that.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The answer is no and stop asking. It’s a tablet with a tablet UI that is optimised for use 20cm from your face.

macOS sidecar is painful to look at if you use it in mirror mode. Eye health is very important.

All Wacom and Huion tablets under 16” are also painful to use with a desktop UI.
Full on MacOS would indeed be a waste. But it would be nice if they’d port over a few more features though. I’d really like to see Finder, even if it was just on the Pro models. File management at the minute is something of a sticking point.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I was hoping for longer battery life but it is supposedly the same as the last models.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
I like too. Thinner = less weight. If you travel, that's important. My daughter has the current iPad with the current Magic Keyboard. It's absurdly heavy, might as well lug around a Mac. If the new iPad - and - the new Magic Keyboard cut down on the weight significantly - I'm in.
How much weight and space will you save when you will clearly need some form of hard shelled casing in order to travel with something far more bendable?

Last edited:

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
I’d love to get a sense of the impact on clarity of the nanotexture screen, as well as a sense of what it feels like using the Pencil on it. I’m a very frequent user of PDF markup apps and have tried various tools to make the screen feel more paper like (but don’t actually like the PaperLike brand product).

I wonder if the combo of the Pencil and the Nanotexture will naturally replicate that more frictiony feeling. Also, curious to know how much image degradation occurs with the Nanotexture. I’m coming from a pretty dim 2018 iPad Pro (with a frictiony screen protector) so I’m sure there’s a lot of upside.

And generally, I’m pretty excited about this update overall. I hope developers take advantage of some of the Pencil Pro’s new tricks. I’m going to be throwing down quite a bit of cash on this one, but to get 6 years out of my current iPad is pretty remarkable. And this is from someone who has upgraded his iPhone every year from the original to my 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: H_D
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.