Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's Apple Watch Series 7 launch day, which means customers who pre-ordered last Friday are receiving their deliveries. We picked up one of the new Series 7 models and thought we'd go over the features and compare it to the Series 6 for those who are still awaiting their own devices or who are on the fence about purchasing.

Compared to the Series 6, there's not a whole lot new with the Series 7. You're not getting new health features, and even the design is largely the same. The casing sizes are larger, though, coming in at 41mm and 45mm, and there's a noticeably larger display.

Apple has cut down on the size of the display bezels and it's a change that looks nice, plus the expanded size allows for features like new watch faces and a full keyboard for the first time.

The always-on display is brighter than before, and Apple says it's using more durable glass that's more resistant to cracking. There's also IP6X dust resistance certification, which is new and joins the WR50 water resistance rating.

Most people are going to enjoy the larger display, but it could be an issue for those who have smaller wrists and were content with the prior sizing, especially with the 44mm to 45mm jump.

Other than the changes to sizing, the slightly more rounded body, and the tweaked color options, there's not much else new. The Series 7 has all of the same features as the Series 6, like blood oxygen monitoring, ECG, heart rate monitoring, fall detection, and more, with the one other standout feature being a faster charging speed.

Using the new charging puck that comes in the box, the Series 7 can charge at up to 33 percent faster than the Series 6, as long as you have an 18W+ USB-C Apple charger or 5W or greater USB-C PD adapter.

If you're coming from an Apple Watch Series 6, there's no compelling reason to upgrade to the Series 7 unless you want that display increase, but those who have a Series 3, Series 4, or Series 5 will find this a much more notable upgrade that's worth the money. Did you upgrade to a Series 7? Let us know what you think of it in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With the Apple Watch Series 7

Last edited:

kiensoy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Just put my series 7 on about an hour ago. I will never know the feeling of going from a series 4+ to a series 7. But I can tell you that going from the series 2 I wore for five years to series 7 is niiiiice!
Yeah, it’s the best feeling skipping through a few generations and then getting all the features in between them. I don’t get people upgrading every year just to have the newest thing and only getting a couple of new features. I’m on a Series 4 and probably updating next year if there’s a redesign or new sensors.

tom_uk

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
I’m wondering if the new puck + the 18 Watt charger can be used to charge an older watch, e.g. Series 5? These were originally supplied with a less-powerful charger.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I’ll wait another year, as others with a series 5 have said, as this 7 update just doesn’t offer enough to get me to bite. If my 5 starts to lose appreciable battery life over the next few months, I’d get one, but I’m still making it around 30 hours per charge (I keep AOD turned off).

Usernotmaker

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
Most people are going to enjoy the larger display, but it could be an issue for those who have smaller wrists and were content with the prior sizing, especially with the 44mm to 45mm jump.
I’ll repeat what I posted on another thread.
Yes, when I compared in an Apple Store the 45mm S7 looks ginormous against my 44mm S6.
But, as others have pointed out, the case is only 1mm bigger.
For me it’s the impact of the smaller bezels and the very welcome larger screen that distorts my perception of the 45mm S7 on my wrist. Maybe I’ve not articulated this perfectly but hopefully you get what I mean. To put it another way, the case is hardly any bigger, it’s “just” the screen…
BTW The attraction of the 45mm for me is that I’m long sighted so a larger screen would be a major plus.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I upgraded from a S0 to an S5 a couple of years ago, and the speed boost, larger & always-on display, water resistance, and extra health features were a great improvement. However that was an upgrade spanning over four years.

There haven't been any compelling features these past couple of years that I feel warrant an upgrade. I feel the same way with the iPhone. I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone 11, and it's still holding strong.

Reactions: saggyhaggis

Rmonster

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2015
Havering, UK
Just put my series 7 on about an hour ago. I will never know the feeling of going from a series 4+ to a series 7. But I can tell you that going from the series 2 I wore for five years to series 7 is niiiiice!
Thanks… that’s reassuring, as I’m undergoing the same upgrade on Sunday. Series 2 still standing up well though and will go to a family member who’s about to embark upon a fitness drive.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I never understand series 4 people who aren't upgrading yet. The always on display from series 5 was by far the biggest apple watch update ever
Oddly that just doesn’t feel like a problem to me. In almost all cases, when I need to look at my watch, the screen is on and shows everything. the always on, particularly if it just shows the time, is not that compelling for me. I’m sure that I’ll like it once I have it but it’s not enough to make me upgrade yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.