Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
1) Better security
2) Much faster
3) Supports all your cards
4) It's a bit of a status symbol
5) Don't have to bring your wallet

Um... Status Symbol?!?!? Rap songs are litmus test for whether something is a "status symbol", and nobody is going to brag about payment methods or make it rain iPhones or sing "I whip out my phone to ApplePay ya, cuz all y'all know I be an ApplePlaya"

(Also, where exactly is your wallet that you don't bring it with you? Because if it's in the car then your security level just fell 9000%)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
That's why we should raise the minimum wage to 15$ so cashiers that have to deal with the travesty of people talking on their phones can cope...I'll talk all day on the phone but when it's time to order I pull the phone away from my head. From working as a cashier in high school I won't even pull up to the drive thru order window until I know whati want. Got tired of listening to everyone go immmmm immmmmm uummmmm ummmm for 30 seconds
I'd take the raise!

I hate when the rest of the people in the car with me (my kids) decide they need to change their order AT THE WINDOW. Like you didn't know we were going, or that we were there sitting in line.

UGH.

I apologize for "kid and boyfriend induced ummmmmmms".
It also says a lot about the customer when they don't.

I'm sure you've had to bite back a lot of ugly comments. That cannot be a fun job.
I was paid more than my co-workers because i'm actually a pharmacy tech they didn't have hours for (well, and some other "welcome to retail" politics, never accept a pharmacy job before meeting the 2nd in charge pharmacist whom you will be dumped on for training). They gave me a choice of Starbucks or the lanes. I hate the smell of coffee... so I picked the lanes. I cannot imagine doing that job for what my coworkers are making. I'm timed on how long you take to pay, and how much I can persuade you to sign up for a red card..... yahoo.

That is the one part about CurrentC that is going to beyond suck - for the lowly cashier that has to convince everyone it is the greatest things since sliced bread. They will be tracked on how they do, and written up and probably let go over it. Expect to hear A LOT of banter at the registers at those stores when it rolls out.

A LOT.

ezekiel97

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
I worked at baskin Robbins and we had a drive thru. People wanted to get a large and put it in two small cups...so what you're saying is you want two smalls. No I want a large in two cups. At the time in CA minimum wage was like 8 or 9$ which I felt was right at what someone in that position should be paid. I was actually alright with the kids changing their minds and sometimes if they changed between both flavors I'd just give them both and say oops messed up its on me.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It also says a lot about the customer when they don't.

I'm sure you've had to bite back a lot of ugly comments. That cannot be a fun job.

It's not. I worked at Target in high school and hated it. I think if everyone spent one holiday season working in retail, far fewer people would be demanding pricks towards employees.

YouGoGlenCocoa

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Changed habits? Is changing financial institutions a habit? Because i'm going to lol. A bank is a bank. And my credit union isnt up to date on their tech. They justttt got a mobile app last year for God's sake.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
It's not. I worked at Target in high school and hated it. I think if everyone spent one holiday season working in retail, far fewer people would be demanding pricks towards employees.

Heck, doesn't even have to be a season... How about a week? Or just Black Friday?

But I'd like for corporate to do an "undercover boss" thing as a cashier for a week. ;)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
1) In what sense? I've been using CCs for many years, and sure several times I've had fraudulent charges, but the CC company always discovered them and not once have I ever been liable.

True, you're never liable but it's a hassle to deal with frozen cards while you wait a few days for the replacements, not to mention having to change CC information for recurring bills. Already this past year, two of my credit cards were used fraudulently and this occurred at the same time (I later traced them to a particular merchant who pretended that the first credit card didn't work so I gave him a different one, hence both were skimmed at the same time). One of my wife's cards was also skimmed this past year.

While the CC companies were able to stop the fraudulent point of sale charges cold, using Apple Pay will reduce the chance of our credit cards getting skimmed and thus avoiding the hassle of replacing the physical cards.

2) No way, it takes 15 seconds to pull out a card and swipe it then sign. After waiting in a line for 5-10 minutes a few seconds here or there is pretty insignificant.

Using a physical credit card:
1) Take wallet out
2) Open wallet and take default card out of slot
3) Swipe card.

Using Apple Pay:
1) With thumb on Touch ID button, take iPhone out and bring near reader.

While you may think shaving a few seconds off is insignificant, ease of use is a big factor here.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
1)I've been using CCs for many years, and sure several times I've had fraudulent charges, but the CC company always discovered them and not once have I ever been liable.

Yeah but if you get unlucky and it happens multiple times within a period of time, the CC companies start flagging your account as suspicious and that can have consequences with interest rates, credit limits, other fees, etc. and make future disputes more difficult.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
True, you're never liable but it's a hassle to deal with frozen cards while you wait a few days for the replacements, not to mention having to change CC information for recurring bills. Already this past year, two of my credit cards were used fraudulently and this occurred at the same time (I later traced them to a particular merchant who pretended that the first credit card didn't work so I gave him a different one, hence both were skimmed at the same time). One of my wife's cards was also skimmed this past year.

While the CC companies were able to stop the fraudulent point of sale charges cold, using Apple Pay will reduce the chance of our credit cards getting skimmed and thus avoiding the hassle of replacing the physical cards.

This.

I have not made a sea change, but am absolutely trying to use Apple Pay when possible for this reason.

I am eating more at Panera, for example, over other options.

We moved our prescriptions from CVS to Walgreens, it's on the wife's way to the kids' school, so no harm there.

I switched banks for Apple Pay. Regions hadn't made an announcement about supporting it, so we went to PNC. That was a better choice overall for several reasons (NO fees, "other" ATM surcharges returned, nice online tools), and I'm happy with them. We actually kept the Regions account and keep a limited amount of money in it to use that debit card for swiping when needed. This not only limits our exposure, but if the card gets hacked, it's not being used for any recurring payments, so no hassle there. I expect we will use it mostly for gas and groceries, since those are the two biggest Apple Pay challenges for us right now.

As time goes on, I expect it to become easier and easier as more and more merchants accept NFC payments.

Poterie

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
I'm fortunate in that the grocery stores I frequent all have NFC capability (Wegmans, Whole Foods, Foodtown); BJs for food and some merchandise, Petco for my pet needs (especially since they price match Petsmart). And, yes, I find myself passing by stores that don't accept mobile payments (except mom/pop stores).

Gas stations and restaurants are what I'm waiting for. Has anyone tried any eateries listed in the Open Table app for mobile payments at the table? I'm going to try it out - hopefully sooner rather than later.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I thought Regions support dropped this week? I don't bank there, but I saw something scroll by somewhere about it and remembered thinking that a lot of people were going to be happy.

Yesterday. By the time it was announced that Regions would be accepting Apple Pay (one of the "500" at the iPad announcement), we'd already switched. The day that PNC went live on Apple Pay, we got our second replacement Regions cards in the mail (thanks to Home Depot).

So I added the card to Apple Pay just in case we encounter a grocery store or gas station that takes NFC. :)

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I've only used it at McDonald's for the moment and only when I go into it versus through the drive through.

The first few times, the NFC terminal still asked me for a PIN number after the Apple Pay notification had already come up on my iphone 6+ screen as being verified.

Today I left work and realized when I was half way to McD's that I forgot my wallet in the office. Still had my iphone with me so I went ahead and used that to make the purchase, which worked great. This time it didn't ask me for a PIN though so it may have been something to do with the new software on my phone or terminal at the time that has been worked out.

Otherwise, I do a lot of shopping at Walmart as well since the prices are cheaper and helps to save money for other things and I am sad that they will not be supporting Apple Pay, but I will still use them with no problem since I do have credit and debit cards to use, which are still the norm for me. I use the Apple Pay as a novelty at the moment until it becomes more wide spread, or I frequent more place that support it.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Ok I'm not buying anything about it being any quicker or easier than sliding a credit card out of my wallet. But you guys make some great points about the hassles involved when your CC is used fraudulently. That alone is enough incentive to try the apple pay. So I have some question.

When I try to set up apple pay it tell me I have to enable iCloud. Why? I have no use for the cloud and would like to avoid it if at all possible. Frankly, there are security issues there. If I enable iCloud to enable apple pay is it going to try to send over other data there as well? I don't want any of my photos, music, etc going to iCloud. I recall in the past my wife accidentally enabled it and we had all kinds of problems with duplicate music, settings issues in devices, and synching.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Ok I'm not buying anything about it being any quicker or easier than sliding a credit card out of my wallet. But you guys make some great points about the hassles involved when your CC is used fraudulently. That alone is enough incentive to try the apple pay. So I have some question.

If you haven't used it yet, how can you have any opinion on whether its quicker or easier than using a credit card -- it is.

Credit card: pull out wallet, get credit card, slide it yourself or hand it to clerk. (Know that you just passed credit card info through a merchant's systems).

Apple Pay: pull out phone and hold to reader while finger is on TouchId pad (done). (Know that your credit card info was not passed through merchant's system).

Bang pow. Done. Faster, easier. I know -- I've used it.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
I'm not going to quibble about it. What I'm saying is that it is not substantially easier/faster. I can care less about saving a few seconds when I've already been in a line 5-10 minutes. And, though I don't make a habit of being on the phone when in a line, on occasion I do receive a call that I have to take/text/or looking something up and can continue while I use a CC.

As I said, the fraud issue itself is incentive enough. Assuming apple has no security leaks with this service. They claim everything is kept on your phone, but why then do they require you to enable iCloud to use it?

If you haven't used it yet, how can you have any opinion on whether its quicker or easier than using a credit card -- it is.

Credit card: pull out wallet, get credit card, slide it yourself or hand it to clerk. (Know that you just passed credit card info through a merchant's systems).

Apple Pay: pull out phone and hold to reader while finger is on TouchId pad (done). (Know that your credit card info was not passed through merchant's system).

Bang pow. Done. Faster, easier. I know -- I've used it.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
When I try to set up apple pay it tell me I have to enable iCloud. Why? I have no use for the cloud and would like to avoid it if at all possible. Frankly, there are security issues there. If I enable iCloud to enable apple pay is it going to try to send over other data there as well? I don't want any of my photos, music, etc going to iCloud. I recall in the past my wife accidentally enabled it and we had all kinds of problems with duplicate music, settings issues in devices, and synching.

Apple Pay requires iCloud for security purposes only (via find my iphone). That way if your phone is stolen or lost, you can wipe it, including any credit card info on the phone. You do not have to use iCloud for any other purpose. There are individual settings for photos, mail, contacts, etc.

And no, no credit card data ever goes to iCloud. It will be fine, just do it.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
OK thanks. So in setting I see iCloud, but there it only asks me to sign in. No settings to make sure everything is turned off. Where can I find that? Just want to be sure none of my info is shared with the cloud before even enabling it.

Apple Pay requires iCloud for security purposes only (via find my iphone). That way if your phone is stolen or lost, you can wipe it. You do not have to use iCloud for any other purpose. There are individual settings for photos, mail, contacts, etc.

And no, no credit card data ever goes to iCloud. It will be fine, just do it.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
One habit I find myself getting into is walking into a McDonalds restaurant instead of the drive through. I'm not going to ask the drive through attendant to pull out an NFC terminal...lol

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I'm not going to quibble about it. What I'm saying is that it is not substantially easier/faster. I can care less about saving a few seconds when I've already been in a line 5-10 minutes. And, though I don't make a habit of being on the phone when in a line, on occasion I do receive a call that I have to take/text/or looking something up and can continue while I use a CC.

As I said, the fraud issue itself is incentive enough. Assuming apple has no security leaks with this service. They claim everything is kept on your phone, but why then do they require you to enable iCloud to use it?

There are no security leaks apple could have that would affect Apple Pay or your credit card inof. The credit card info is with your issuing bank. Your phone stores a token (not the actual credit card #). Your issuing bank and its payment service can map the token to your credit card #. So the potential security issue would only be with the credit card issuing bank and processor (but that's no different than things are now). The real difference is, the merchant no longer has your credit card info.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Frankly, there are security issues there.
Such as... ? Which particular ones cause the most concern for you?

If I enable iCloud to enable apple pay is it going to try to send over other data there as well? I don't want any of my photos, music, etc going to iCloud. I recall in the past my wife accidentally enabled it and we had all kinds of problems with duplicate music, settings issues in devices, and synching.
First of all, you can individually select what goes to icloud. Look at Settings->iCloud (in the online manual if you must) to see all the on/off switches for photos, mail, contacts, calendars, etc.

From the trouble you mentioned, sounds like you and your wife are sharing an AppleID for iTunes purchases. That can definitely also cause issues if you share the same iCloud account yet want to keep separate data.

See the Apple Support documentation on using one APpleID for iCloud and a different one for Store purchases: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4895

If you haven't used it yet, how can you have any opinion on whether its quicker or easier than using a credit card
Agreed; however there is some variability in terms of the POS and whether it's set up well plus some process inefficiency until the ApplePay user builds enough familiarity.

Plus all the "easier to swipe" goes away with the ability to swipe at most places in a few months.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
OK thanks. So in setting I see iCloud, but there it only asks me to sign in. No settings to make sure everything is turned off. Where can I find that? Just want to be sure none of my info is shared with the cloud before even enabling it.

Settings/iCloud. It might not show up till you create an icloud login. Nothing happens immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.