Has anyone noticed a Severe SLOW DOWN since

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msmaron, Sep 27, 2008.

1. msmaron macrumors member

they have pwned their phone.. My apps take up to 7-10 seconds to load, specifically notes, camera, and photos...
    anyone else see this problem and is there a fix

mark

2. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Nope, not at all. I am running 2.1, QuickPwned via Windows XP. I Have Cydia installed (but not Installer), as well as BossPrefs, Winterboard, quake4iphone, psx4iphone, gpSPhone, Cycorder and a couple other Cydia apps.

One of the other things people complain about is reduced battery life as well...but after testing out my iPhone running 2.1 before and after jailbreaking, i found absolutely no difference whatsoever...around 5+ hours of usage time. The reduced battery life after jailbreaking is a total myth. And this is with 3G always on, Location Services always on, as well as SSH always on. I'd suggest restoring your phone to stock firmware, then re-pwning if you're having issues from a jailbroken phone that a non-jailbroken phone wouldn't have.

3. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

If your running a huge theme with App skin mods and everything, that might be part of your problem

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Like the OP, I was also experiencing the lag in opening applications. But more importantly, I was also getting horrible battery life (~2hrs usage) so do you know anything else that could possibly cause this?

I really hate that I had to restore my phone to factory. I'm having jailbreak withdrawals :p

5. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

There really is no way for me to know...everyone's method of jailbreaking is different, their installed AppStore apps are different, their themes are different...so to find the root of the problem, the only real solution is to restore and re-jailbreak. Follow my guide if you have Windows, as it tells you exactly what i did, and i am having absolutely no problems with my jailbroken 2.1.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=567301

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Thanks man! I followed your guide the first time I did it so I appreciate that. I'm re-jailbreaking at the moment, so hopefully it goes better this time around.

7. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Not a problem. The only other thing would be certain apps that COULD conflict with each other...although this is rare, apps like IntelliScreen and such drain battery, among a couple others apps. If it helps, these are my currently installed Apps from Cydia:

gpSPhone, Cycorder, Terminal, PdaNet, WinterBoard (using Bluebird theme with minor dock and icon enhancements), BossPrefs, psx4iPhone, quake4iphone, and openSSH. I DO NOT HAVE INSTALLER, however....i unchecked the box during the quickpwn process, as Installer is buggy and IMO is crap compared to Cydia.

And like i said, no problems at all. Battery life is excellent, phone is completely stable, no crashing, no problems with Cydia or AppStore apps....nothing. It's as if my phone isn't even jailbroken at all. And this is coming from someone who only jailbroke their phone a couple weeks ago because he was EXTREMELY paranoid about the "issues and instabilities" that jailbreaking would bring. And come to find out from firsthand experience, everything has been trouble free, and i enjoy my iPhone a lot more than i did before :).

8. reliantj macrumors 6502

is there anyway to get rid of the stock apps on a virgin iphone such as stocks and notes?

9. Red Sox macrumors regular

yes, my iphone became extremely laggy after pwning it using quickpwn. I only had 3 or 4 apps installed through cydia. I cannot put up with my email app taking 10 seconds to load, so I restored my iPhone.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I'm seeing the same problem and I've only got BossPrefs, BossTool, OpenSSH, Terminal and Winterboard. I have very long load times for many apps unless the phone's been rebooted in the last day or two. I'm probably going to go back to "jail" to see if that fixes it. Hopefully, it won't...

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. I tried both QuickPwn and PwnageTool, but both times my iPhone was noticably slower than with 'vanilla' 2.1. The only Cydia app I had installed was WinterBoard, and if that was the cause of the slowdown then I guess there's really no need for me to jailbreak, as that just so happens to be the ONLY app I am even remotely interested in using. :rolleyes:

Meh. I'm back to vanilla 2.1 yet again and I think I'm going to stay here for a while. I love being able to use my custom theme, but the slowdown is just not worth it. I basically had to reboot several times a day when I was jailbroken but even then, it was slower than vanilla 2.1 ...

12. vexatia macrumors regular

I've found that my phone slows down/suffers extreme battery drain with certain JB'ed apps installed. After I install a JB'ed app, I closely monitor the phone (especially with respect to heat generated). If the phone runs hot, I uninstall the app. For example, I installed both TouchCast and the other 'over air' podcast apps. Both caused my phone to run hot, so I uninstalled them. If you're careful with what you install, and allow to remain, on your phone, you'll be alright. I currently run Cycorder, Winterboard (with A8stract running), 5 icon dock, BossPrefs, Cydia, TapDial, PdaNet and wifi Toggle with no slow down/battery issues. Admittedly, I've uninstalled a number of apps that I would have loved to keep.

13. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Mine is a 3g with 2.1, cydia and installer. The only app I got was cycorder and I haven't noticed any slowdown.

14. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I had mine jailbroke for 2 days. I used quickpwn and it worked great but after a few hours and some installing it became incredibly slow. It would freeze up while using some apps and a hard reset was all I could do to fix it. As much as I like it being jailbroke and customized i couldn't take the slowness so I restored also.

15. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

On Friday I went out at about 5pm with about 80% battery, and it died after nearly 2 hours of little use. It was jailbroken with Cydia, Installer, Cycorder, Quake and 5-icon dock. I restored that night.

Saturday I was out about 5 hours with a full charge. I used it about the same as the day before and I had about 80% battery by the time I got home.

16. msmaron thread starter macrumors member

Bad Battery and Slow Aps now that i am PWND

Wonderful post, but do you or anyone have the same for MAC!!! I ti making me crazy and i am about to go back to the Virginized phone out of frustration!

17. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Try changing, or eliminating themes. I thought the same thing when I first jailbroke--"Oh great, now my phone is full of lag!"

It turned out that it was just the theme I was using.

Also, I later found IntelliScreen to cause severe lag. As much as I liked it, I uninstalled it, and everything is much smoother now.

18. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

I can't, for the life of me, understand why people are getting such purportedly poor battery life on jailbroken phones. I get great battery life, same as my stock 2.1, around 5+ hours of usage. I've also gone out for 15+ hours straight, using the phone during that time span only to make a few calls, a couple texts, some light email checking/web browsing and my battery didn't even move, even with all of the standby time. I'll post it again, this is what i have installed:

BossPrefs, Winterboard, openSSH, Cycorder, quake4iphone, psx4iphone, gpSPhone, MobileTerminal, and PdaNet, along side 3 home screens worth of AppStore/stock apps. Plus, iam running the "Bluebird" theme, AND i have 3G, Location Services and openSSH running AT ALL TIMES! I get no lag, no crashes, everything is normal. If i had a video camera i'd post a youtube vid up to show how smooth everything is...but i don't. Could Installer be the problem? It's about the only thing i can think of, seeing as how 99% of people who choose to jailbreak choose to have it installed alongside Cydia...but i left it out. Also, for my method of jailbreaking, i used QuickPwn on 2.1 firmware, i did not use pwnage and restore using a custom .ipsw.

The only other thing i could suggest would be that people claiming to have horrendous battery life run a test using 2.1 before, and after jailbreaking. Though people here seem to be complaining of faster battery usage after jailbreaking 2.1, there have also been many reports of STOCK, non-jailbroken 2.1 firmware making people's battery drain seemingly faster as well.

Perhaps someone out there could restore to fresh, stock firmware and turn autolock on to never, as well as whatever features they want, like 3G or Location Services, and let a movie run or let the ipod run till the battery nearly dies. Make sure you also have all the AppStore apps you'd normally have during this test. Note the usage time at the end.

Then, someone do the same thing using a phone with jailbroken 2.1 firmware running, and see how much of a difference there is in usage times. Do this with the same settings as above, and make sure you have all the Cydia apps and AppStore apps that you would want installed. Note the usage time at the end.

I'd be happy to do this test, but i am happy with my problem-free, jailbroken 2.1 phone and would really hate to restore...so if anyone wants to take a crack at it and debunk some possible myths here, it could help out a lot of people. ;)

19. vexatia macrumors regular

Yep, that's a good point that I neglected to mention. I used to run Saurik in Winterboard and noticed substantial slow-down. I switched to A8stract (which I prefer visually (sorry, Saurik)) and no longer suffered nearly as much lag.

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I haven't noticed a battery life problem with my Pwnage iPhone. But the lag had become horrendous! I had a beautiful Winterboard that I had tailored to my preference. It's the culprit, clear as day. I think it's because the Winterboard is over the existing iPhone Springboard.

I may go back but I will not use Winterboard. I am going to do some tests. But guys, I put a friends iPhone next to mine and performed the same tasks and Factory is MUCH faster. BiteSMS takes 8 seconds on his and SMS on mine is between 0.8-1.5 seconds.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

jailbreaking does not lower battery life, leaving apps running in the backround does. It also eats up CPU.

REMEMBER to force quit out of apps when you dont use them anymore (that means hold down home until they go away) otherwise they are just eating your battery

22. msmaron thread starter macrumors member

YUP Installer is the Problem I am sure!! How do i remove?

Can you tell me how to remover Installer???
    mm

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

you can ssh in and delete installer manually. (google is your friend)

24. msmaron thread starter macrumors member

??SSH IN??? what does that mean please?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you have to ask about what SSH is and dont have the time to look into it (it took me a few hours to fully understand) then your gonna have to go another route.

Ill let you know if i can think of anything.