Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
*snip*

- that Winterboard ABSOLUTELY slows the iPhone performance. It appears that changing Icons is a miniscule slowdown; however, video wallpaper and changing taskbars and iPod pop-up DOES cause noticeable issues.

*snip*

It's also noticeable just with new icons, a 12 kB dock with transparency and a 60 kB still image.

I wonder if the transparency could be contributing to the problem.

jcde7ago

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Sorry, but you're not helping anymore. I stopped reading after the first few words.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me, but i appreciate that you took the time to actually edit what i said and replace it with your own words, but claim that you stopped reading after the first few words. But i digress...

In the end, folks, do what's right for you, do what makes you happy. If you like the jailbreak and can deal with, from MY experience anyways, dang near negligible lag (definitely not SEVERE like this topic title by any means), fine. Will this lag vary? Of course. If you like the seemingly smoother performance that staying stock brings, that's fine too. It's really irrelevant at this point to try to convince each other how we perceive our personal experiences with our own phones, as there are positives and negatives to both. So...to each his own, as long as it makes everyone happy.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
I jailbroke, installed winterboard and noticed an extreme slowdown in the phones performance. I restored and jailbroke again without installing winterboard and have had no slowdown issues since, no crashing either.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

iSaga said:
I jailbroke, installed winterboard and noticed an extreme slowdown in the phones performance. I restored and jailbroke again without installing winterboard and have had no slowdown issues since, no crashing either.

This seems to be a trend. I think it's great that some people are either oblivious to the slowdown or have magical iPhones that are amazingly unaffected, but the rest of us are all experiencing the same thing.

It's a real shame too, as WinterBoard and themes are the ONLY reason I want to jailbreak. :(

pj rage

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I didn't read this whole post, but yes, winterboard definitely causes some slow down on my phone. Getting it back to being "snappy" is as easy as unapplying the checked themes in winterboard (this works for me). Sure, you have no theme then, but your phone is faster. Unfortunately we have to make this trade off for now.

It seems as if winterboard using mobilesubstrate is chewing up alot of ram. At least, it appears that I have way more ram available when not using themes. Apps open much faster, and another nice thing is that safari almost always keeps the last page I loaded and pops it up instantly when I open safari again, whereas with winterboard and theme(s) it almost always had to reload the page each time I opened safari. Presumably because the ram which stored the safari info was recycled for theming purposes. I'm guessing this is the same reason why apps open slower (they are removed from memory so that mobilesubstrate can use the memory). Or something to that effect anyway. Or maybe just a serious bug by Jay, but I kind of doubt that :confused:

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I re-jailbroke my phone w/ QuickPwn last night and only installed Winterboard via Cydia. I only use my wallpaper as my background w/ NO custom icons, scroll bars, nothing. Just the wallpaper w/ transparent dock and hide icon names on.

So far so good, all the apps seem to open like it was when I was on vanilla 2.1 yesterday and much faster then previous jailbroken 2.1.

We'll see in a few days if the lags come back.

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
intelliscreen causes slight lag too. unfortunate since I paid $20 for the premium license :-(

I wonder why I didnt' notice any of this with 2.02?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

cal6n said:
2.02 was laggy for everyone...

Yeah, that steaming pile of **** was so laggy, I don't think adding a second or two lag would've mattered that much. Sand on a beach. ;)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Yeah, that steaming pile of **** was so laggy, I don't think adding a second or two lag would've mattered that much. Sand on a beach. ;)

Thats wierd. Apart from more than usual safari crashes in 2.02 NONE of my firmwares have ever been that laggy or crash that much.

I think ive been extremely lucky tho.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Winterboard lags for me too.

Some themes though, cause the lag to be more or less severe than others.

When loading certain apps (SMS is a hug one), I get lag, that at times, lasts for 10-15 seconds or longer.

When 2.2 comes around, I may try going without Winterboard for a while, and then add it later and see if I notice a difference.

If nothing else, I will continue to jailbreak for Scrobble. :D

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
Winterboard isnt the be all and end all to jailbreaking.

There are other advatanges to jail breaking including:

Insomina - Run apps in the background when you lock your screen.

Numerical battery. See exactly how much percentage your battery is at by tapping its icon.

SSH - Run scripts and have a cheap linux computer with you all the time.

SMS - Change how your phone handles SMS.

Snapture - Have a camera that turns the sound off and does burst mode.

I like to see those app in the app store.

There are many things jail breaking can do.. there is no excuse for not doing it IMO.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

NT1440 said:

Thats wierd. Apart from more than usual safari crashes in 2.02 NONE of my firmwares have ever been that laggy or crash that much.

I think ive been extremely lucky tho.

Yeah, I'd say you have been EXTREMELY lucky.

When Apple released 2.1 for the iPod touch, I upgraded immediately. For three or four days I was able to compare the touch with my jailbroken 2.0.2 iPhone 3G, side by side. It was painful to watch. The touch opened the exact same apps 1-2 seconds faster than the iPhone could, time after time. With 80+ apps installed, it took 19 minutes to upgrade any app on the iPhone - on the iPod it took about thirty seconds.

To say that 2.0.2 was a steaming people of **** is an insult to piles of ****.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

wreckshop said:
2.02 was laggy for everyone...

compared to a jailbroken 2.1 fw w/ intelliscreen and winterboard, 2.02 flies!!!

That might be taking it a bit far ... ;)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It's also noticeable just with new icons, a 12 kB dock with transparency and a 60 kB still image.

I wonder if the transparency could be contributing to the problem.

My dock is a blank .png and I use make Icon Text Transparent. Unfortunately, the icon text removal is the main reason I Winterboard. Even doing it through SSH you can't remove iPod Safari and some others' text.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I hate to bump this thread, but I was wondering if there have been any improvements with the newer versions of WinterBoard ... ? Is performance any better now?

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
i just did a fresh jb on sunday using quickpwn. after jb restored from a clean backup of 2.1.

the biggest lag i've seen is SMS (very noticeable, 7-8 sec load time).

if i turn off the theme and intelliscreen. load times are cut more than half. i still had the 5icon dock and status notifier loaded (too lazy to un-install those :p)

if i had seen this thread earlier i would have tested the lag before the restore to see if it affects the lag or not.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
A few notes from an old jailbroken timer. If you can deal without themes then uninstall winterboard. It seems to be the culprit for most. I have 0 problems with PDAnet, cycorder, bosspref, cydia, installer, abs a few others. Although winterboard is a nice app I believe it does introduce some instability and delay with certain apps. For me it was oddly enough SMS. Winterboard consistently added 4 seconds to SMS opening. With a few other problems and I was using a the simple unlocker theme. Anyway, never had battery life problems just a bit of lag with certain apps installed. Otherwise, jailbreaking is fantastic!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

lavrishevo said:
A few notes from an old jailbroken timer. If you can deal without themes then uninstall winterboard. It seems to be the culprit for most. I have 0 problems with PDAnet, cycorder, bosspref, cydia, installer, abs a few others. Although winterboard is a nice app I believe it does introduce some instability and delay with certain apps. For me it was oddly enough SMS. Winterboard consistently added 4 seconds to SMS opening. With a few other problems and I was using a the simple unlocker theme. Anyway, never had battery life problems just a bit of lag with certain apps installed. Otherwise, jailbreaking is fantastic!

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, WinterBoard is the ONLY reason I'd jailbreak now that the app store is open - and since it causes lag (which I can't stand) I guess I'll stick with vanilla for now ... Kinda sucks! :(

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
can't live without....winterboard....

it hasn't bothered me too much (the lag) but it's also cuz i don't SMS much. if i SMS a lot it would irk me prob.

update: i just unloaded status notifier and intelliscreen but kept a theme. sms loads up 2sec. dunno if that's still too laggy for u or not though.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I was just reading through these posts and thought I'd add a little info (hope it's somewhat relevant). I am currently running a first gen iPhone on 1.1.4 with Summerboard and many apps (GBA, Gameboy, NES, SNES, SSH, Boss Prefs, Video Recorder, iBlackJack, Chuzzle, Chess, Squid, MIM and a few others). I am using the Glass Orb theme. Right now the UI on this phone runs GREAT. VERY quick, smooth and snappy. I also have a 3G with 2.1 also Jailbroken. Pretty much the same apps and the same theme (except running Winterboard). The 3G is choppy, slow to open apps (especially Settings, Photos and SMS).

Now, I don't know if this is due to Winterboard or 2.1 just sucks. But it could be a combination. I have pretty much decided that I'm going to sell my 3G and keep 1.1.4 for now as it is nearly a perfect phone but for the lack of 3G.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with 1.1.4? As far as I could tell the discussion involves 2.x. I'd be interested to hear what commonalities may be causing slowdowns.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

trunksu said:
can't live without....winterboard....

it hasn't bothered me too much (the lag) but it's also cuz i don't SMS much. if i SMS a lot it would irk me prob.

update: i just unloaded status notifier and intelliscreen but kept a theme. sms loads up 2sec. dunno if that's still too laggy for u or not though.

If I had nothing to compare it to, I'd probably think the iPhone 3G was fine ... But since I've got an iPod touch as well, it's easy to compare them side by side - the difference is blatantly obvious and it bugs me! But if you had nothing to compare it to, the iPhone 3G would probably be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.