Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Wow, you get the pro and she gets the mb?!? :eek: My fiancee took over my mbp when her windows desktop died, and she won't give it up! This is like when I see my neighbor lady across the street mowing her yard: I want to walk up to her and offer her $20 to tell me how her husband got her to do that!

Only using apple approved engineered hard drives is another example of AGATA on new machine releases: 'apple giveth, apple taketh away'. A gotcha that people only find out about AFTER they buy their new machines.

Could you imagine how full disclosure would affect keynotes:

Phil Schiller: "And the new models have increased speed and hellacious battery life!"

<thunderous applause>

"Oh, we can only offer this because our new machines take advantage of hard drives specifically engineered to work on them. You won't be able to take full advantage of 3rd party hard drives that work on every other modern laptop in existence. We'll also only offer bigger and faster drives as a build to order option on new machines ordered through the website. Forget about trying to get us to upgrade the drives after you buy the machine. We may decide to fix this with a firmware update if we decide to do so."

<stupefied silence interspersed with the sounds of crickets and some boos coming from the crowd>

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Wow, you get the pro and she gets the mb?!? :eek: My fiancee took over my mbp when her windows desktop died, and she won't give it up! This is like when I see my neighbor lady across the street mowing her yard: I want to walk up to her and offer her $20 to tell me how her husband got her to do that!

My defence is ... she got the uMB as a Christmas gift and I have had to endure her constant enjoyment of her new uMB for the last 6 months while I was stuck with the old "plastic" MacBook. I just couln't take it anymore, but by the time I went to get one the uMB's for myself it was discontinued and I was forced (by Apple) to buy a 13" uMBPro instead.:D

Only using apple approved engineered hard drives is another example of AGATA on new machine releases: 'apple giveth, apple taketh away'. A gotcha that people only find out about AFTER they buy their new machines.

Could you imagine how full disclosure would affect keynotes:

Phil Schiller: "And the new models have increased speed and hellacious battery life!"

<thunderous applause>

"Oh, we can only offer this because our new machines take advantage of hard drives specifically engineered to work on them. You won't be able to take full advantage of 3rd party hard drives that work on every other modern laptop in existence. We'll also only offer bigger and faster drives as a build to order option on new machines ordered through the website. Forget about trying to get us to upgrade the drives after you buy the machine. We may decide to fix this with a firmware update if we decide to do so."

<stupefied silence interspersed with the sounds of crickets and some boos coming from the crowd>

HAHAHA. That's too funny! ... and it certainly sounds like it has the ring of truth to it!!:eek::eek::eek:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Over this past weekend, I upgraded to the Blue. So far, so good. I was using a 500GB Samsung, but I think it was defective.

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I realize it may be a PITA to do this, but have you tried installing the drive in your mb?

I just installed the Scorpio Blue into my wife's uMB and can conform that it has the same issues as when it is in my 13" uMBP - clicking noises every 10 seconds or so and constant slight whirring sound. It does not make the clicking sounds in an external enclosure, so the drive is fine - it appears to be a compatibility issue with certain MB's and MBP's

Conclusion - if you have a newer '09 13" uMBP or late '08 uMB, you should avoid using the WD 500gb Scorpio Blue.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Sure... if you don't want anything off your old HDD... go for it!
Enjoy your drive!

You can always put your old HDD in an enclosure and pull the data off later

One good method: Buy an external drive. Format it correctly and copy the internal hard drive over (Disk Utility will actually do both quite easily). Reboot with option-key pressed and reboot from the external drive. Make sure that everything works fine. Shut down the Mac, and swap the drives. Put the external drive which now contains your original drive away and don't touch it for two weeks, because most problems with a drive will come up in the first two weeks :mad:

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
The pro screwdriver! Sheesh!! Maybe over here it's difficult getting good quality(and that wouldn't surprise me one bit as seriously, this damn country has gone to hell in a handcart)but I've gone through three different phillips 00's. The second of which was pretty expensive and supposedly a 'pro'! By that point I had already damaged several screws ..... The third did finally work for me and I think it was helped by the fact that the shaft(blade?)of the 'driver was very thin and it just seemed to fit better.

I'll trade you for my screwdriver experience! I was popping the WD Blue into my MBP (which actually went rather easily), and taking the 300gig from there and popping it directly into my PS3. The metal used on the PS3 screws was of such poor quality that it took a combination of needle nosed pliers, and in two cases taking a flathead screwdriver and pushing it deep enough into the metal to "turn" the screw into a flathead in order to remove them. Literally, one turn with a phillips was enough to strip the screw into practical uselessness....

pdxflint, I see in your sig you have an older 2.2 MBP, whereas myself and others who are dissatisfied with the WD Scorpio Blue have new machines. The problem with the WD Scorpio Blue may simply be an incompatibility with Apple's power saving scheme (on the new machines), part of Apple's strategy to squeeze out more battery life.

I guess it would be a question of how to delineate the revisions. I'm on a newer (but not newest? Feb '09) unibody Macbook Pro 17" (2.93ghz, 4GB ram, etc), and the only thing I've noticed soundwise from the stock 300gig drive is a "slight" increase in noise. Slight in that I'd have to have my head right next to the unit to detect it. I've not heard any parking noises whatsoever, nor any overly loud fan noises. One of the lucky ones, I guess?

It might not be a bad idea, pending interest/participation, to begin cataloging this kind of information. Things like specific drive model information, where/when it was purchased, how it was installed, how the OS was installed, how are the power saving settings configured on the machine. It might be due to some kind of setting, and it might just be a faulty batch of drive.....not enough info to really figure out at this point.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I experienced the same clicking sound on battery power. But somehow, the battery life is longer than the stock HDD (Hitachi 5K500.B 320G). So I will keep the Scorpio Blue in my MBP.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Hey I notice if I put slight pressure on my right palm rest (above the HDD) the noise goes down quite a bit.
Does anyone if it would be possible to put in some foam to apply pressure or something to dampen the noise?

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
(Posting back with an update from earlier post)

Well, my Seagate Momentus arrived today. Took out Scorpio Blue(Two screws now worryingly stripped - have a replacement set of screws on order from Apple)and got the Seagate in.

Happy to say that it's a distinct improvement, although not totally silent. The clicking sound(as described perfectly by several posts)has thankfully gone and that was the biggie for me as it was beginning to wind me up. The other noise - the constant 'whooshing', is still there but noticably less so than the Scorpio, to the extent that although still audible, it's now so faintly there that it is not in the least distracting. I only heard it when I took my Mac into the quietest room, my bedroom, and to be honest then it kinda felt more as though it was simply a faint hum, or, in Sci-Fi lingo, the Very Pulse of the Machine!

In short, I'm happy. One day we'll all have large SSD's in there and this(for some)problem, will be no more.

Ordering the Seagate momentus 500G. See if it can make a difference with the WD.

vardamir

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I just got a WD 500GB drive for my 13" MBP and it has the clicking problem. It is only noticeable in a quiet room; if you're watching TV and doing stuff on the MBP at the same time, I don't hear it.

I have worked out that the first minute after not using any programs at all, the clicking will occur approximately once every 12 seconds and then after that it stops altogether.

Also, the clicking becomes much less frequent when you are using an application that constantly accesses the hard drive either to read or write data. Even typing in a program such as Word or Pages is enough to prevent the clicking sound.

So although it would have been nice to have gotten a perfectly quiet hard drive, I can live with the fact that it's a problem that is relatively minor and there are certainly more pressing issues in life to worry about! ;) (Also with a planned future upgrade to a SSD, the problem will go away, and the current HD will become an external backup drive.)

Edit: On the other hand, all those clicks may well be greatly shortening the life of the hard drive, so it is a concern. There is talk that Snow Leopard may improve power management and there is hope that all these clicking issues will go away then, though I won't hold my breath.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for the posts, its a very useful thread. I've just bought a Scorpio Blue drive to go in to a 13" uMB, so will let you know how I get on.

Z06jerry

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Edit: On the other hand, all those clicks may well be greatly shortening the life of the hard drive, so it is a concern. There is talk that Snow Leopard may improve power management and there is hope that all these clicking issues will go away then, though I won't hold my breath.

I have no doubt that the life of the WD Scorpio Blue drive will be shortened somewhat by all the unnecessary head parking and I would expect the battery life to take a bit of a hit too. My battery indicator sometimes shows as much 8+ hours with the stock Fujitsu, but I only saw 7+ hours with the Scorpio Blue.

Interestingly, from reading here and other places it seems the clicking (frequent head parking) with the Scorpio Blue only happens with late '08 and June '09 uMB/uMBP's, owners of these models may be wise to consider a different drive, just my 2¢

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I got my 500GB WD Blue for my 13.3 MBP a few weeks ago and love it. Fast, silent and sips the battery. Very happy with this drive and no issues so far.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Anyone put it in a 'Classic' MacBook Pro?

Noise levels etc? Need to upgrade my stock 5400rpm drive, but its £100 :/

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
To the people here complaining about the WD Blue, why don't you guys try out the 5K500.B or the Fujitsu 500gb drives. They're supposedly alot quieter.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Anyone put it in a 'Classic' MacBook Pro?

Noise levels etc? Need to upgrade my stock 5400rpm drive, but its £100 :/

Mine's installed in a SR MBP 2.2 - still acceptably quiet overall, no clicking sounds. Runs cool (currently 95F/35C after hours of running) and has not decreased my battery runtime.

I also am coming to the conclusion that it's an Apple hardware/firmware issue with the constant head parking. I haven't updated my MBP firmware since the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage seems like wisdom to me. My MBP runs cool, I don't have the clicking HD issues, so I'm gunshy about applying fixes to mysterious things I don't really need, only to end up with a laptop that runs so hot or other stories abounding here on these forums.

I have a 500gig Seagate external (Freeagent Go) that works great, absolutely quiet. My WD Scorpio Blue 500gig give me the same experience as an internal drive. So, I'm undoubtedly lucky.

But it would be interesting if someone would compile a list of MBP models/builds, etc that have the problem. It would make the buying decisions so much easier than relying on a bunch of different user experiences adding to the confusion of a prospective HD buyer.

PS: Carl, I'm glad you're new Seagate drive seems to be at least acceptable... and I'll get back to the canine photography soon enough... been working on video more lately.. thanks for the thoughts... :)

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
thank you pdxflint for your response, i'm 1 step closer to making the purchase and installing into my SR MBP 2.2

hopefully all goes well ;)

Edit: 1 question i just remembered!

When using CarbonCopy, will it copy the hard drive EXACTLY as the old, including the Bootcamp partition?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Mine's installed in a SR MBP 2.2 - still acceptably quiet overall, no clicking sounds. Runs cool (currently 95F/35C after hours of running) and has not decreased my battery runtime.

I also am coming to the conclusion that it's an Apple hardware/firmware issue with the constant head parking. I haven't updated my MBP firmware since the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage seems like wisdom to me. My MBP runs cool, I don't have the clicking HD issues, so I'm gunshy about applying fixes to mysterious things I don't really need, only to end up with a laptop that runs so hot or other stories abounding here on these forums.

17" MBP 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor - Santa Rosa
Mine stays plugged in and runs 24/7
Currently 36C

And I have installed all Firmware updates

No noise at all, extremely quiet
No clicking

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Best of luck vanc. Hopefully you'll lose the clicking too; I can't help but think(based admittedly on just a few comments over the last couple of pages)that along with sample variance coming into play, that the WD blue's perhaps aren't sound-insulated as much as they might be.

Anyway, coming from the clicking standpoint, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement. Let us know how it goes.

Got the Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500G. Replaced the WD Scorpio, and guess what, it's a mixed bag.

The crisp clicking sound was gone. But the vibration was much bigger than WD. I could feel it clearly with hand on the right palm rest. With WD, I could barefly feel anything.

There was also a low pitched clicking sound. It's even more frequent than the crisp clicking sound from WD.

The battery life was better. It was the first time I saw a "10 hour" on the battery meter. :) Of course, it's only after I left the MBP idle for a while. But the battery still showed 7:38 with a 87% charge. Wow, not bad. :)

So what should I do? I guess I will keep it for a while, and see how it's going to behave. Now I have two spare HDD in my drawer. I can keep one for backup and find a new home for the stock HDD (the Hitachi 5K500.B 320G).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.