Has the Music app been fixed in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iRock1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I mean this in two ways.

First, the horrid UI, with all the albums from the same artist showing up in just one list. Is it still there?

The second thing is most important to me, as I use a third-party music player—though it's "based" on the official app for functioning, so it carries over all its bugs and issues. Anyway, the thing is, has all the bugs and little issues been solved in iOS 8, or at least most of them? I remember that they were a lot, and in iOS 7 is like the Music app by itself is just a huge bug, so there's a lot where you can chose from when it comes to those little bugs and glitches.

I use my iPhone as a music player (remember when that was all about?), so it's and important deal to me and could make the difference between being an iPhone 6 early adopter or not. (I'm staying with iOS 7 on my iPhone 5, at least until it leaves the public beta state.)

Cheers.

2. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Good news is that, now music app has micro-lag while scrolling album view compared to iOS 7. It is overall laggy/sluggish.

But there is definitely sound quality improvement. The sound volumes appear to be boosted.

3. Nozuka macrumors 68000

4. iRock1, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Has the Music app been fixed in iOS 8?

So, in summary, now the music app works even worst than before. Yupeee!

Though, being honest, none of those issues really affect me. Not that use my phone to play music without headphones a lot—and as I use Ecoute, I can bypass the hideous Music app and its UI problems.

However, I was more concerned about other stuff. For instance, I remember there was a serious bug where I could play a certain track inside and an album, but it would start playing another one.

5. kelleybp macrumors member

I don't know anything about the bug/album jumping issue, but the horrible UI hasn't been changed. The music app took a massive step backward from ios 6 to 7. Huge annoyance.

6. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

7. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

What about other bugs? I insist, there are lots of them, at least in iOS 7. One that I remember right now concerns the landscape mode. Sometimes when you turn the iPhone from landscape to portrait mode, the pseudo-cover-flow mode doesn't go away.

There are also several problems with the playback, buttons that don't work, and a considerable etcetera.

Cheers.

8. MrGuder macrumors 68020

No, the music app has not been fixed but now it's not only not fixed you also have sluggish lag when scrolling....makes you want to upgrade right away, huh....:rolleyes:

yes I know, I know....8.1 will fix all this....:rolleyes:

9. Razeus macrumors 603

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I can't even figure out what the complaint here is. Albums from same artist show in one list? If I look in artist view, I see a list of artists. If I look at album view, I see a list of albums. What's wrong with that?

11. Razeus macrumors 603

Because we need the Artist view to be By Artist/By Album. Not one or the other.

12. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

That everybody (including myself) wants all the albums from the same artist to be together under the same menu, just like it's been for more than a decade, before that abomination called iOS 7 came out.

13. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I still don't understand. When I go under "Artists", I see a list of artists and only artists. I select one and am taken to the list of albums by the artist and only that artist.

All albums from the same artist are in the same list. I just checked this on my phone.

14. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

My only complaint is when you open it for the first time in a while it has to "refresh" which lags on old hardware.

15. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I can once again shuffle a genre (in a straight-forward way), so that's back.

16. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

But it also lists every song from every album in that one list, instead of just having a quick link to each album. This makes it very time consuming to get to the 35th album on the list...

17. Razeus macrumors 603

Some of my artwork doesn't even show up, and I KNOW all my stuff is properly tagged. Wasn't an issue in iOS 7.

18. Nozuka macrumors 68000

it takes much longer for me to download new music.

well actually the download itself is still fast, but the "preparing" part after the download takes forever.

and sometimes when i try to start a song after its been downloaded it just won't start. i have to try and start several songs until one works and then the others suddenly work too.

and also today it suddenly switched to itunes radio instead of playing the album, when my bluetooth streaming in the car started. this never happened before. and was working fine 30min before that.

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Uh oh. We gotta an alpha male over here folks. You can always turn on "darken colors" in accessibility if its too girly for you.

20. Rigby macrumors 601

And it is still not possible to access chapters in audiobooks, which makes it pretty much unusable for this purpose (try using the scrub bar in a 10-hour long audiobook). This simple functionality was broken in iOS 7 and still hasn't been restored. Thanks, Apple. :rolleyes:

21. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I wish they would allow you to disable cover flow. It's eye candy but otherwise useless for me.

22. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

Looks like the same crappy Music app as 7. Completely useless in the car (my phone is mounted horizontally). I know I can say "Hey Siri" but often I need to browse to find what I need. And yes only mess with my music at stop lights. I haven't been able to find a good third party app that would make a better experience for the car.

23. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Music app still sucks. Namely the never ending list of songs when you select an artist that is completely disorganized.

Terrible. The company that invented the iPod and the best music app for 6 versions of iOS compeltely ruined this.

24. dugbee macrumors regular

So much for the Apple feedback form, I was certain that the Artist - Album view would be returned to its pre-iOS7 glory. (I did leave new feedback under iPhone, too bad iOS8 nor the music app are listed options)

And to think the main reason I ordered the 128GB iphone was explicitly so I could put lots of music on there.

Oh, and the albums still aren't sorted alphabetically. Surely Tim Cook has every U2 album on his phone. How can the inefficiency not be obvious?

25. kaiguy macrumors member

Does ANYONE like the landscape "cover flow" type view in the Music app? I think its absolutely worthless.

In my car, when charging, it's pretty much impossible to prop my iPhone up in portrait mode (without a mount). But my mount looks so much better in landscape, too. So why make the music app so non-car-friendly in landscape mode?