Have you stopped and realized...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

That we're all going to be walking around with 1 GHz dual core computers in our pockets, like it's no big deal? That can play games as advanced as current game consoles. That actually employ helpful artificial intelligence. That can access limitless amounts of information in a split second.

When you stop and think about it, it's truly astounding. And it's a testament to how easy it is to use, and how common it is, that something this advanced is actually called by many "mediocre" :eek:

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. SK818 macrumors newbie

Exactly, because a lot of people expect too much these days, we're all too spoiled.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I love that clip because its so true.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

People have been able to have a 1GHz dualcore computer in their pockets since about February, but I do agree that it's very cool when you think about where we were even 5 years ago.

6. cward0715 macrumors regular

Compared to an Android phone like the Nexus Prime, which has a 1.5 Ghz processor, a full 1 Gig of ram (compared to 512 in 4s), a Super AMOLED display with only 6 dpi less than iPhone, LTE/HSPA+, and a 2050mAh battery.... It might be a little behind.

Of course you have to factor in the crappy android OS, which makes the iPhone the best by default. But if you go strictly by hardware....

7. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

You have completely missed the point of this thread.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

412mhz single core ... aww yeah!!

And yeah OP, i realized that. At first I was a little disappointed with the 4S announcement, but once I realized everything you said, I freaking love it! Can't wait to get mine.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Haha that guy is really funny, especially because it's all true. First world problems ;)

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Missed the point completely... and, at the same time by comparing it to a product that's not out, are confirming it. Technology is increasing that quickly and every so often we should all take a look at what we have.

11. cward0715 macrumors regular

Look at the OP's last paragraph. He said people shouldn't be calling it mediocre. I was commenting on why some may see it as that. Not saying I disagree, but merely presenting a differing viewpoint.

12. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Do you really think it's going to be a better experience?

I've owned a Samsung Galaxy S phone since March and the experience I have with it is "Mediocre" an iPhone 3G is much smoother, the single things I like about it are the Camera (Same as iPhone 4) and the AMOLED Display, which is pretty cool.

However, that's not the Point, 10 Years ago, we had G3 iMacs which had less Storage, RAM or Processing power than today's iPhone.

13. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

I'm still amazed that i have the internet in my pocket. Stuff just keeps getting better and better. What a wonderful time we live in.

14. cward0715 macrumors regular

Look at my last sentence and you'll have the answer. Of course iOS is smoother.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't go as far, 3 years ago...

16. icchy macrumors newbie

a LOT of the reason we have what we have today is because of the genius and legend that is Steve Jobs. Without his vision we undoubtedly would still be years behind, probably still on ****** palm pilots and motorola razors...

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

All I'm reading is blah blah blah Android blah.

18. cward0715 macrumors regular

Que?

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ignore him, he's just trolling.

20. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Wooooooooosh, the sound of the point going over your head.

Hmm, I need to put it in young people's terms. Let's say the iPhone 4S is a status update on Facebook with 1,000,000 likes. Then the Nexus Prime is a Facebook status update with 1,000,010 likes.

It's not those extra 10 likes that makes something amazing, it's the face that you're around a MILLION ****ING LIKES. Basically, I'm saying where we are now is just mind boggling when you put it in a larger perspective. Show an iPhone 4S to a person 10 years ago and see how they feel about it. Or 40 years, holy crap.

21. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say graphics as advanced as consoles, but yeah it's pretty amazing that phones have advanced so much within such a short amount of time.

But of course, being human beings, this isn't good enough. More speed, better graphics, better battery life, faster internet speeds. I

22. Steve43 macrumors newbie

23. cward0715 macrumors regular

See my secondary posting. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just presenting the other side of the debate. No disrespect was directed towards you. Not sure why you felt the need to disrespect me.

I have quoted my earlier posting below.

24. 2010RS macrumors 6502

yeah, but you can say that about almost any piece of technology.

25. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Right, but in a thread with this kind of topic, I think all of us can do better than walking in and using the same tired Google and Apple talking points. Basically, you directly took the attitude that we're criticizing, especially with that great Louis CK video. You said, my airline only made me wait 30 minutes on the runway (vs your airline which took 40 minutes) before we flew, in the sky.

I mean, I'm really saying, it's all incredible, iOS, Android, WP7, etc. There's no point in discussing minute spec differences in here, and no point in playing devil's advocate except to just be oppositional.

If you showed either the Nexus Prime or the iPhone 4S to someone in WWII, they'd likely think both devices were made by aliens.

What a world we live in where 1.0 GHz versus 1.5 GHz in our pocket is really considered a huge difference :D