Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you prefer the stainless steel or aluminium (sport) watch?

• I preferred the stainless steel

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • I preferred the aluminium (sport)

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I went from a S0 SS 42mm to a S3 SG and won't go back. I bought AppleCare with this version so if I bash it, I'll replace it. I did put on a screen protector a few months ago and it's keeping the small scratches away. Stays on even when I go swimming with it. Sounds strange but seemed like the SS version sweat more when I work out. Same band, mind you. Also, the display seems less reflective than on the SS version. As much as I liked having the sapphire glass as protection I'm good to go. I really like the SG with black sport band.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I went from a S0 SS 42mm to a S3 SG and won't go back. I bought AppleCare with this version so if I bash it, I'll replace it. I did put on a screen protector a few months ago and it's keeping the small scratches away. Stays on even when I go swimming with it. Sounds strange but seemed like the SS version sweat more when I work out. Same band, mind you. Also, the display seems less reflective than on the SS version. As much as I liked having the sapphire glass as protection I'm good to go. I really like the SG with black sport band.

Actually, the Sapphire display creates more of a reflectance on the stainless model, making it difficult in sunlight. Where as the Ion-X Glass seems more vibrant with the display due to the lack of the sapphire display. But now that the Apple Watch has a 1000 Nit display (Before it had a 450 Nit display with First Gen/Series 1), it helped greatly with the stainless model.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
As I said though I paid around £1000 for the S0 I sold it for around £220 and managed to pick up an S3 sport with LTE for £280 (£150 cheaper than new) so seemed like a no brainer rather than spending £650 on a SS S3 with sport band, selling the watch for say £100 and keeping the link Bracelet.

I can only lose £280 this way rather than the near £800 my SS lost in value.
This is why my 1st gen SS will probably be my first and last Apple Watch. I really don't like the aluminium sport watch and the SS is too expensive and plummets in value as soon as a new model is released. I've also got no interest in cellular connectivity on the watch and you are forced to pay for it if you want a SS watch.

I suppose I may pick up a second hand SS if I see one really cheap but I wouldn't buy a new one.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I had the silver aluminum series 0, then the SS series 2, now I'm back to aluminum in the form of the S3 SG Nike. I really do like the stainless steel material more, but if I am getting a new watch every 18-24 months I don't want to spend top dollar every single time.

The biggest reason I wanted the stainless was for the versatility with different bands. I found that I still wore sport bands 90% of the time and therefore it wasn't worth it for me anymore. Might as well save a couple hundred dollars.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Well if were just randomly informing people things that were obviously implied, you should know the crystal on the Apple Watch isn't pure sapphire. As pure sapphire has a Mohs rating of ~8 where the SS Apple Watch exhibits signs of scratch at a hardness of ~6-7 Mohs likely due to impurities. That stand it is still much harder than regular glass.

Sapphire has a Mohs rating of 9. That includes synthetic sapphire crystals used on watches. Certainly this is the case on all of my Rolex. They can be scratched but you really have to abuse the watches. Where did you get the 6-7 hardness from?
[doublepost=1519150115][/doublepost]
If that’s your mentality, all technology is technically “Is a waste”. Because a Product is superseded by something else the following year by something better. Why not buy what you enjoy and what somebody wants, regardless if its aluminum or stainless. Itd the perception of what the consumer wants from the product, in the case of the Sapphire display, that alone pays for it self in durability.

Again, some want more a premium product. That’s why Apple offered the stainless model, it’s the next step up with the stainless 316 L. Remember, the Apple Watch is also marketed as a fashion device, and I think the stainless model executes that nicely with leather bands, stainless steel link bands, etc.

I don’t see it as “Throwing away money”, if it brings somebody enjoyment and they want something more premium, That goes for anything in this life that you want something that cost more, you pay a premium for it, Even if it is technology that becomes obsolete. That said, as somebody who did owb the aluminum model at one point, I would never purchase the Sport model again, I thought it felt cheap and I was happy to upgrade to the stainless model with Sapphire display. To each their own.

No, I specifically call out SS, ceramic and the original Apple Watch Edition as a waste since they are disposable watches. I wasn't surprised that the 18k watch was quickly discontinued. It was just a novelty for those with bad taste. As soon as people started gold plating the regular models, it was really over. There is no alternative for a computer, phone or tablet. Watches are a completely different story. A nice mechanical watch, automatic or manual winding, will last a couple of lifetimes especially if serviced every 5 years. While it's true you really can't really get a truly decent Swiss watch for under $4-5k that doesn't change the fact that the Sport is the best value Apple offers.

I concede that smartwatches are a separate category that isn't trying to appeal to watch enthusiasts. For many, especially younger people, it's the first watch they've owned and has the potential to lead them to develop a passion for watches.

All that said, if you're a man you really need to get a 42mm model. The 38mm Apple watches are only for women. It's not a big 42mm because of its rectangular case. Men should really only wear 39-44mm watches in this era. The only exception is a 36mm dress watch or when going vintage.

Last edited:

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Sapphire has a Mohs rating of 9. That includes synthetic sapphire crystals used on watches. Certainly this is the case on all of my Rolex. They can be scratched but you really have to abuse the watches. Where did you get the 6-7 hardness from?

Jurry rig everything and Unbox Therapy among others. It IS sapphire but with significant impurities. They used a Mohs' Hardness pick testing kit and ran the across the screen. They did comparisons to watches with pure sapphire for comparison.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
No, I specifically call out SS, ceramic and the original Apple Watch Edition as a waste since they are disposable watches. I wasn't surprised that the 18k watch was quickly discontinued. It was just a novelty for those with bad taste. As soon as people started gold plating the regular models, it was really over. There is no alternative for a computer, phone or tablet. Watches are a completely different story. A nice mechanical watch, automatic or manual winding, will last a couple of lifetimes especially if serviced every 5 years. While it's true you really can't really get a truly decent Swiss watch for under $4-5k that doesn't change the fact that the Sport is the best value Apple offers.

I concede that smartwatches are a separate category that isn't trying to appeal to watch enthusiasts. For many, especially younger people, it's the first watch they've owned and has the potential to lead them to develop a passion for watches.

All that said, if you're a man you really need to get a 42mm model. The 38mm Apple watches are only for women. It's not a big 42mm because of its rectangular case. Men should really only wear 39-44mm watches in this era. The only exception is a 36mm dress watch or when going vintage.

I understand the passion for fine timepieces - great-looking bits of jewelry, examples of highly-evolved craftsmanship, etc. However, those aren't high on my list of reasons to strap something to my wrist. For me, it's the utility. A smart watch is more compelling to me because it does so much more than tell time.

I stopped wearing watches (a long series of Timexes, Seikos, a Hamilton...) around the time I started carrying a cell phone. I used to call my cell phones "big-ass pocket watches." Now, despite the fact that I have an iPhone in my pocket, I wouldn't go anywhere without my Apple Watch - a first generation SS w/Milanese loop (though I only wear the loop on dressier occasions). The only watch I've ever had that has a scratch-free crystal after years of use (I'm not all that gentle on watches).

I agree, smartwatches are a category separate from enthusiast watches, but then, having owned many conventional watches, none of which would have qualified as "enthusiast," I'd have to say that the distinction between utilitarian watches and enthusiast watches has always existed. What's changed is that, instead of sneering at "Dime-x," enthusiasts can now target Apple and Samsung.

And as to, "Real men don't wear 38mm..." Come on! It depends on the individual. I happen to be a large guy, so 42mm made sense (especially to my aging eyesight). However, I've seen a fair number of guys with 38mm - sometimes they're smaller of stature, or maybe they just prefer a less obtrusive thing on their wrists. Proportionally, 38mm seems the same size on a smaller wrist as 42mm seems on my larger wrist. Meantime, I've seen a fair number of women who, even though they're not large of stature or butch in appearance, still prefer the chunky look of a "man's" watch - including some of the oversize divers-style timepieces out there as well as the 42mm Apple.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky

There’s a men’s Rolex, 36mm rose gold watch for sale right here
—>https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/date...al-mens-watch-boxpapers-116201--id7740195.htm

Stupid Rolex. Clearly, no one told them men don’t wear 36mm watches. And rose gold?? What was Rolex thinking? Rolex is doomed, just like Apple.

Breitling, Rolex, Tag (and several other luxury watch makers) make hundreds of men’s watches between 30-40mm. And even rose gold cases for men. I’ll bet you were among the vocal minority back in 2008 who insisted the iPhone 3G in white was only for women. :rolleyes:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Rubbish, you can wear whatever size you want. I don't know if you've ever noticed but humans come in a wide variety of sizes. :rolleyes:

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
First watch was SS, 2nd was Sport, then back to SS, now back on Sport.

1. I am going to upgrade every time Apple releases a new watch, but am not going to shell out for the SS every time.
2. When I went back to the SS after having a Sport I noticed how bad the SS smudges and requires constant wiping. The Sport does not.
3. The sport feels noticeably lighter.

I will stick with the Sport from now on.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, I specifically call out SS, ceramic and the original Apple Watch Edition as a waste since they are disposable watches. I wasn't surprised that the 18k watch was quickly discontinued. It was just a novelty for those with bad taste. As soon as people started gold plating the regular models, it was really over..

You seem to be misconstruing my point, anything tech related is disposable . It’s not just the Apple Watch, it’s an iPhone, iPad, ect.

Your argument about the gold plating is irrelevant. How many individuals actually even know that you can even gold plate the Apple Watch? Not many. They Apple Watch Edition was discontinued because Apple knew it was going to be nothing more than a show off piece to enlighten the Apple Watch for what it was when it launched.

I think you’re way off base here. If you read through the Apple Watch forum, there are plenty of males who wear the 38 mm. Size is preference, not an indication of what somebody should or should not wear.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I went from S0 SBSS with link bracelet to a S3 Nike SG Alum. I am using the SBSS link bracelet with the Nike S3. Looks great and since launch day when I got it no scratch/ding whatsoever. While I have no doubt that the SS is more durable over time, this watch is likely upgraded every 2-3 years. Hence, no reason to shell out the extra money for SS.

Inked

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
Buckinghamshire, UK
I had an original SBSS but managed to scratch the sapphire so when I upgraded I went to an aluminium Nike as it didn’t seem worth spending the money on the stainless version.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My series 0 watch was SS with leather band and ended up with a lot of scratches plus it was heavy on my wrist and didn't stay in place (I have a small wrist). My next watch was the aluminum with sport band and I preferred it because it was so light I didn't even notice I was wearing it and it didn't get scratches. I update yearly and the price difference helps as well.

Reactions: neutrino23

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My series 0 watch was SS with leather band and ended up with a lot of scratches plus it was heavy on my wrist and didn't stay in place (I have a small wrist). My next watch was the aluminum with sport band and I preferred it because it was so light I didn't even notice I was wearing it and it didn't get scratches. I update yearly and the price difference helps as well.

I will say Apple managed the aluminum watch perfect with the weight. It’s not too light , but it’s certainly not heavy. It’s right in between and the 7000 series aluminum is very durable. One thing about the aluminum model on your wrist, you really don’t notice you’re wearing it at all.

Reactions: bevsb2

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I bought a Nike non Lte first as my cel provider hadn't indicated that they'd support LTE in the future and didn't want to waste the extra money on something I probably wouldn't be able to use. In 3 days I scratched the glass. Started to research the difference between ion and crystal glass plus plastic back on casing vs ceramic back, and decided to return the Nike+. After that it was figuring out if I prefer SSSB or SS. I settled on SS and have been very happy with it. Really I have 0 complaints.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
There’s a men’s Rolex, 36mm rose gold watch for sale right here
—>https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/date...al-mens-watch-boxpapers-116201--id7740195.htm

Stupid Rolex. Clearly, no one told them men don’t wear 36mm watches. And rose gold?? What was Rolex thinking? Rolex is doomed, just like Apple.

Breitling, Rolex, Tag (and several other luxury watch makers) make hundreds of men’s watches between 30-40mm. And even rose gold cases for men. I’ll bet you were among the vocal minority back in 2008 who insisted the iPhone 3G in white was only for women. :rolleyes:

I’m talking about the Apple Watch and sports watches. Dress watches should be 36-39mm. I own a classic 118238 36mm Day-Date. It is the classic Day-Date. However for most other watches I would not choose 36mm. A 36mm SS/RG 116231 Datejust is really a watch for women. It’s usually marketed with a diamond dial as well in the catalogs.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I am having a similar debate right now as I am looking to pick up a series 3..
  1. I do not care about LTE - Plus the red crown looks goofy
  2. I've has SS and Aluminum Apple Watches in past
    • I dig the lightness of the Aluminum especially when running or swimming
    • I don't dig the back getting scratched up just from charging
    • Screen scratches (or a concern for them) is easily solved with a screen protector
    • I like the price of the Aluminum GPS only version
Not real sure which I will go with. The SS with Apple Care is a lot of cash and resale on these is bad. On the other hand SS looks better and is more durable.

I am leaning towards the Aluminum with a screen protector and Apple Care..

bbednarz57

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2015
I am having a similar debate right now as I am looking to pick up a series 3..
  1. I do not care about LTE - Plus the red crown looks goofy
  2. I've has SS and Aluminum Apple Watches in past
    • I dig the lightness of the Aluminum especially when running or swimming
    • I don't dig the back getting scratched up just from charging
    • Screen scratches (or a concern for them) is easily solved with a screen protector
    • I like the price of the Aluminum GPS only version
Not real sure which I will go with. The SS with Apple Care is a lot of cash and resale on these is bad. On the other hand SS looks better and is more durable.

I am leaning towards the Aluminum with a screen protector and Apple Care..
The LTE version of the sport watch does have a ceramic back if that helps to tip the scale at all. Dont necessarily need to activate the LTE, but its an option for a little bit extra. Not sure how important it is to you, but it is nice to look at the back of the watch and not see a scratched up mess.

Plus the 16GB of storage over the 8GB of the non-LTE version.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The LTE version of the sport watch does have a ceramic back if that helps to tip the scale at all. Dont necessarily need to activate the LTE, but its an option for a little bit extra. Not sure how important it is to you, but it is nice to look at the back of the watch and not see a scratched up mess.

Plus the 16GB of storage over the 8GB of the non-LTE version.

The storage is not an issue for me and $70 more for the LTE that I'd never use is a bit steep. For the additional $70 the only real benefit I'd get is the ceramic back. I might call AT&T and see what they can do price wise. I had a massive mess a while back and mentioned to them my son was interested in the Note 8 and they offered that for $450 total (no payments) which I ended up passing on.. Maybe they can hook me up with a good price for it.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I haven’t been able to confirm with 100% certainty, but I believe the cellular WATCH should be able to place a call to emergency services without a wireless service plan (at least in the U.S.).

My S2 does fine without the cellular, but when I go outside for runs I leave my iPhone at the house. It’s the only occasion I would want/need LTE capability on my WATCH. So even without activating the LTE, just having the ability to call 911 could be worth the extra $70 (plus the 16gb and ceramic back). Unless someone knows for sure to set my thinking straight.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I haven’t been able to confirm with 100% certainty, but I believe the cellular WATCH should be able to place a call to emergency services without a wireless service plan (at least in the U.S.).

My S2 does fine without the cellular, but when I go outside for runs I leave my iPhone at the house. It’s the only occasion I would want/need LTE capability on my WATCH. So even without activating the LTE, just having the ability to call 911 could be worth the extra $70 (plus the 16gb and ceramic back). Unless someone knows for sure to set my thinking straight.

I personally don't care about the ability to call 911.... I don't run outdoors (hate it) and run indoors on treadmill. Other than running indoors I swim laps in a pool and cycle (triathlon training stuff). My phone is usually close by at all times and if worse came to worse I'd just wack 'em in the nugget with my X...

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I had a SSS2 and when I upgraded to the S3 LTE I went with the Space Grey.. if I were able to do it over again I’d either go with aluminum or stainless. The dark watches look weird on me.

Speaking of that if anyone wants to swap gray S3 LTE for a 42mm for aluminum LTE , or even a stainless S2 let me know!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I upgraded from the SS series 0 to the silver aluminium series 3 in December. 3 months in I’m really not missing the SS. I have 15 official Apple Watch bands. Some of them are better suited to the SS like my modern buckles, classic buckles and Milanese loop. However to be honest I don’t really switch out the bands as much as I used to. I tend to keep the same one on for a few months before I switch them. My watch came with the fog sports band which I wore for a few days until my Nike pure platinum white band came which I have had on ever since.

I have LTE model which has a different back to the standard sports model. So I couldn’t even really notice a difference in the weight of the Watch.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Have a AW0 SG and went with an AW3 SB SS and love the weight, look and feel of the Stainless Steel. The weight seems heavy at first, but after a short while of wearing you no longer notice it. I’m active - walking, running, hiking and wanted the more scratch resistant screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.