Help! Spilt milk in my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanmckenzie, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ryanmckenzie macrumors newbie

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, I tried yahoo answers but haven't received any responses yet.
    After an argument my mum threw a glass of milk on the keyboard while it was on. I turned it off as fast as I could, everything looked ok before it shut down. I turned it over and wiped off all the liquid. It's open, face down on my bed just now. Should I turn it on to see if it's ok, it's been 1 hour now?

It's a 13" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz

2. EmeraldICE macrumors member

Your mom dumped milk on your keyboard?!
    I would wait MUCH longer than an hour.. people have been known to wait days when liquid spills on their electronics.
    And if you paid for that macbook by yourself I would make her buy a new one or pay for repair if it's broken.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

LOL, you are talking about the OP's mom, if she threw milk on his computer it might be because he had it coming based on what he said to her. Just speculating though. :p

4. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

DO NOT TURN THE COMPUTER BACK ON DO NOT
    That aside, you must remove the battery if possible, please let it dry for 5-7 days if you want even the slightest chance of it to work. Do your best to clean off all the milk

5. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Well try to look at the brightside, at least you learned a lesson: Don't argue with you mom :p. Seriously though, I would wait for a couple days.

6. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

That's a crazy mom you have damaging her son's $1000+ electronics.

7. ryanmckenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it would be funny but me and my mum don't have a good relationship anymore, it's kinda sad, I just hate her as a person... she cheated on my dad years ago, that describes what sort of person she is :S
    Anyway, thank you very much for the quick and helpful responses! Should I maybe take it to the apple store tomorrow and they could open it up?

8. Playgear macrumors regular

Well, there's no point crying over spilt milk...

Sorry, had to.

But yes, as everyone else has said, leave it to dry for a week and see. Hopefully you had nothing TOO important on it.

9. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I hope you haven't tried turning it on. I work for an apple service center and see this all too often. Every time it is not thoroughly dried out it ends up toast if you turn it on. Seriously, as others have said you must live without it for atleast 7 days.

ALSO turn it upside down with the screen open like a tent, and leave a fan on it when possible

10. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

You take it to the Apple store tomorrow-Warranty is instantly voided, your best bet would be to take off the top case and clean the board with de ionized water

11. ccashman92 macrumors regular

They aren't gonna help you. Spilling a liquid will void the warranty. Therefore they will make you pay for any repair. Go get a plastic tub the you can fit the ENTIRE bottom of the laptop, shouldn't be hard to find. Then go buy a bow of dry rice. Put the Macbook in the tub and pour the rice in till the keyboard is covered. The rice will absorb the liquid more than air. I would still wait a few days.

12. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

How old are you? I would consider finding a lawyer and suing her.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would consider this too, but the op isn't very old I judge from his posts and his grammar.

14. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

That's awful advice.

15. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

What is he doing near his crazy mother anyway?
    Who bought the laptop? If his dad bought it, have his dad sue if he isn't old enough.

Totally unacceptable under any circumstances that someone would damage property worth $1000+. This is the new 2010 model I assume as well which is totally ludicrous!

If this happened to me, I would have contacted the police and said she beat you and threatened you and then dumped milk on my stuff.

16. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

How so? The mother INTENTIONALLY dumped milk on a $1000 computer

Edit:
    To OP, if she's absolutely NOT going to replace it, get revenge

17. creative78 macrumors regular

creative78

That's even worse advice. Lying to the police is in itself an offense.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^This. I'd leave it off, clean it, and hope for the best.

19. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Would you sue me if I dumped milk on your shiny 15" MBP?
    Just because it is your mother doesn't mean you shouldn't take action.

20. EmeraldICE macrumors member

Hahaha. :p Even if OP deserved it, intentionally damaging a $1000+ computer is a bit much.

21. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

So, your computer is more valuable than the relationship you have with your mother? Yeah... that makes sense.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

He hates his mother, he said so already.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The milk is going to dry up and start flaking and eventually ruin the electronics. Good luck with that.

What I'd do is open up the computer and try cleaning up the milk. Then I'd let it dry for a few days before turning it back on. Else, kiss your mom to make up and maybe she will replace the computer.

In the future, try to avoid having liquids and parents around your computer.

24. ryanmckenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, well I'm 20, and keep in mind that I'm on a phone, and slightly worried that the computer I just bought is completely bust. I think a slight flaw in grammar is acceptable...
    Many thanks everyone, this has actually happened to me before (water leaked through my bag) so I know what happens when it's left on. I won't sue my mum lol.

25. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Chris, did you take your meds today?