Here we go again! Iphone 7 terrible screen quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Obagleyfreer, Oct 20, 2016.

1. numpsy macrumors regular

I'm not saying you're dead wrong, but I believe some people here are so damn crazy that they drive themselves nuts on this, what I consider to be, a non issue. I mean seriously, going back for a 4th phone? This is like someone at work returning a steak not cooked to their liking 3 times. Maybe a bad analogy but I just can't seem to fathom going through this.

2. deany macrumors 68030

deany

OP I wouldn't worry about what they think in store the phone should be 100% perfect at these prices.
    Keep returning ad infinitum but those screen protectors is that $50 or $35 US thats one heck of a screen protector is it special in some way my Moto E (spare phone) screen protector was £1.50 and is glass and fine from ebay.

3. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Why would you compare a steak to a $1000 phone that you use every day? If you can't fathom why people do this, I can't comprehend why you would even make that comparison. People pay their hard earned money for these phones, and expect quality from a company like Apple. So yes, if you have these issues to your phone, you have the right as a customer to go and get a replacement, to get a better phone.

4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

And there you go. How much longer will Apple let this very lose return policy stand?

5. FoxD macrumors 6502a

My wife's 7 Plus is very nice , not too warm, and bright. I compared all of mine to hers and they were all lacking in comparison.

6. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, and if there is a problem I agree. But people return these things because they wanted a different color, or more storage or the sun rose. And yet there are people waiting for a month to get one. It is crazy IMO. Apple needs to charge a restocking fee for non issue returns or make the person get in the back of the line for a new phone.

7. kid.icarus macrumors member

Absolutely agree, Thor_1!

I returned my 7+ on Tuesday because it had a pinkish tint on the left side. IMHO a 1000 € phone should be perfect (my husbands iP 7 is perfect by the way). Now I have to wait 8-10 days until the replacement is shipped. Fortunately, I still have my iP6, otherwise I would be phoneless for this time. The neyt Apple store is more than 2 hours (one way) thus this isn't a solution for me.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

The 7 Plus looks significantly better.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2016 ---
    My & JB looks perfect. Glad Apple fixed that obnoxious blue push that they had on all their previous iPhones. They now have accurate white balance and grey scale.

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

why is apples return policy 'very lose' at 14 days? amazon is 30 days on literally hundreds of thousands of items.
    Apples entire product range could fit on a dining room table.
    Both are 'No Quibble' therefore apple genius shouldn't make OP feel OCD over a £1000 item.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Try returning multiple $1000 items on Amazon and see how long before Amazon bans you from returning any more items.

11. deany macrumors 68030

deany

But then it goes from "No Quibble" to "Quibble" making a mockery of the returns policy.
    If this happened I could see Jeff Bezos rubbing his hands with glee.

12. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Okay, but this thread and the conversation involved was talking about the actual issues that are clearly evident - hissing, creaking, unbalanced colors...

And no, I don't think customers should be punished for trying to get the most out of their buck from returning their devices. Maybe if they keep returning it 5+ times within a week? Yes. I think there should be a specific amount of times you can return it within a time period before you are either halted or banned from that store/area, just like what Amazon would do.

But for someone who returned their phone three times because of these clear issues, it's not their fault that Apple is doing an awful job distributing their supposed "high class" phone as if there are only 10 per state.

13. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I have never had any problems with amazon returns but I have been a UK customer since 1999 and buy mostly either from amazon of JLP
    If they banned me they'd lose a lot from me and my 4 recommends linked to my Prime account.
    There was an issue in the UK with amazon banning customers they got bad press I believe this banning no longer occurs so you can return Ad infinitum - UK being worth 5B+ and 3rd largest market for them.

Is there an amazon banning policy in the US?

14. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes. I am on different high tech forums, and there have been many cases with people returning $1000 + tv's multiple times, and they got banned and were told to take up their claim with the manufacturer.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2016 ---
    Verizon charges a restocking fee of $35 if you return within that 14 day window, even if you didn't open the box.

15. deany, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Thats not good from amazon.com not good at all.

$35 restocking fee - shocking.
    I'd go to T Mobile assuming good 4g at home and work that CEO seems a real cool guy, bet they are fine with returns.

edit
    amazon.com do seem strickter with returns than .co.uk maybe due to the size of country returning an item is more envolved and costly https://www.techwalls.com/amazon-ban-return-too-many-items/

16. kngqw macrumors newbie

I remember when people complained about white not being white on amoled screens.

Now the bottom yellow on iPhone 7 its the new white , enjoy spending your hard earned money on that .

17. torana355 Suspended

Serves Apple right for using dated tech in their phones, LCD panels have many inherent issues. I wish i could afford an OLED TV for the very same reason. At least in Phones AMOLED is a viable option price wise, the panels on all my Android AMOLED phones have been absolutely perfect :)

18. wxman2003 Suspended

I bet you set your tv to the default Standard picture mode too. Next to Vivid, it's the most incorrect picture mode on a tv. Standard mode has a horrible blue push on every tv. Most people have no clue that Warm 2 is the correct color temperature on a tv, but most think it looks too yellow, when in fact it's correct.

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, there are people here that will return their iPhone because there is a 1mm dent on the corner of their packaging. Abuse of Apple's return policy with the OCD crowd runs high.

20. evoga macrumors regular

evoga

I am amazed at the amount of people who return products with problems that are in their head not the item.

At least everything in life runs in cycles so it will eventually go back to the old way of not allowing silly returns after the global financial crash.

21. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

To add to this:

Apple will not let you walk out of the store if you are 1 cent short of full payment. If the phone costs $950, and you try to pay $949.99, they won't let you walk out with the phone.

So you should not accept such a large defect such as an uneven or yellow tinted screen.

And it is a huge defect if Apple is going to brag about resolutions, color gamuts, etc.

22. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

I can't believe so many people are fine with really uneven screens and really yellow screens.

I guess people have been conditioned to just accept whatever is given to them.

23. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

T Mobile restocking fee is $50.

I had Amazon call me once and threaten to close my account if I kept returning stuff. I told them it's hard to buy from a picture and they should except high returns in that business. Since getting a Amazon credit card they don't bother me anymore. I can understand a brick and mortar and high returns but online it's hardly ever what's advertised.

Do yourself a favor head over to eBay grab a iPhone 6s because the only 7 you need is 7 eleven for a twelve pack of your favorite suds.

24. imagineadam macrumors 65816

I agree. They have this big keynote and they are supposed to have the best products and best customer experience. And they brag up how much better the display is supposed to be vs the last one and then you open it up and turn it on and the first thing you see in the setup screen is a darker corner, a yellow band across the top or bottom, and/or some dust or dead pixel etc. Your heart sinks!

This has happened to me and many other people multiple times. Once you see it, it's all you see! And it's the most used/important part of the smartphone and should have a higher quality check then they obviously do on it now. I can see how some duds get by and how it can be blamed on the nature of how LCD is made but I feel like it's been out of control since the iPhone 6 and hasn't for any better.

I see the other side of the argument though too. It is ridiculous returning a phone so many times and I did feel embarrassed and crazy but I just couldn't accept the defects! I paid too much money to have something that clearly has a problem. No way.

I really hope they move to a new screen tech that has better uniformity by nature. Whoever their supplier for these LCD's is really bad at their job. It applies to the iPads since the iPad Air too. Ever since the air and the iPhone 6 it's gone crappy.

My JB 4.7 iPhone 7 screen on the first go is acceptable but it does have some problems which my eyes can pick out probably easier than a lot of people. Pinkish tints on whites in the upper left quad. A slightly dimmer band that covers the keyboard area. When sliding text you can see the text get dimmer and brighter as you scroll. This forum works great to see it. And a slight yellowish tinge at the bottom. All corners are mostly bright and the overall color is mostly uniform. I think I will keep and not risk getting something worse. Been down that road before!

I should mention that the uniformity issues are much easier to see when the brightness is less than 50%. If you crank up the brightness it's much harder to see but mostly I use my phone below that. I think that's why many people can't see these problems.

Then there are the people in the camp who see it and don't care like my wife. Her iPhone 6 has a yellow tinge right through her status bar. I've pointed it out and she thinks I'm crazy! And she thinks I was being ridiculous when I was getting all my replacement iPhone 6's. I felt it too. But if it would have been right the first time I wouldn't have to do this.

But I also tell myself that nothing is perfect. And the stress and time it takes to get one that is mostly perfect isn't worth it. That is why I think I'll just keep my 1st and only iPhone 7. (For now ;))

25. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Sorry, you must be thinking of someone else. I'm no apologist. In fact, I have a healthy level of disillusion with Apple. I just worry that people who do this will ruin the return policy / replacement policy at Apple for when I have a valid concern.

(ETA: reminder - I'm talking about returning a phone because it creaks when you twist it. Which it was never made to do. Uneven screens are a totally different thing)