Here we go again! Iphone 7 terrible screen quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Obagleyfreer, Oct 20, 2016.

1. DaveOP macrumors 65816

The 7 looks so much better. That 6 looks very blue and unnatural.

2. Hans_Gruber macrumors newbie

Picked up a 7+ for my wife last night and everything looked fine out of the box until I had it side by side to my 6S+. There is definitely a yellow tint to the display and it's not as white as my display. I opened the same web page on both phones and it was clear the 6S+ display was more white and crisp. Honestly you wouldn't know there was a yellow tint unless comparing to the 6S +. Will give it a couple of days and try configuring the settings to see if it improves.

3. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Camera shots of displays is a bad example. The sensor finds select points to adjust white balance and it's hard to get a real clear view of the difference after the photo is processed. Even so, here's a few:
    1st: iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
    2nd: iPhone 7 and iPhone 6S
    3rd: iPhone 7 and iPhone SE
    IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0028.JPG I agree completely. People are conditioned into believing that "Vivid mode" on televisions is an appropriate color temperature. I would imagine most people that looked at a professionally calibrated television would say whites look "too yellow" and overly blue whites look "normal".

If you don't care about color accuracy and want vivid overly saturated colors, that's fine. That is your preference. This is something Samsung did a lot in the past with their AMOLED screens. Many consumers liked that, but it was also recognized that these colors were not accurate. Apple has always been pretty serious with color accuracy with their display calibrations. Also everyone bases their screen off of the color white. What about every other color displayed on your screen? Do we just ignore that these colors are more accurate than they would be with a display that has a overly cool color temp?

Seems like apple moved towards their warmer and more accurate color temps on the SE as well. This is evident on the iPad Pro 9.7" too. I personally like this change. Overly cool screens might "Pop" more in the day but to me, especially at night, a warmer screen is more pleasing with everyday use.

4. Hans_Gruber macrumors newbie

Can you compare to the 6S with Bold text turned off?

5. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

IMG_0031.JPG Of course, didn't even notice Bold text on the display 6S.

6. Hans_Gruber macrumors newbie

The 7 looks like it has nightshift on compared to the 6S. I would prefer the 7 screen to be the same as the 6S screen but I would also like there to be an option to adjust the intensity of nightshift for those who prefer the warmer color the screen for the 7 has out of box.

7. gsingham macrumors 6502

Yes your iPhone 7 and 7 plus both have way different screen temps.

This whole comparing 7's to 6s is a joke

In your case, u have 2 iPhones with the most accurate display in the world looking completely different. My question to u is which one was Apple referring too?

8. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Unfortunately pictures don't show actual real-life depictions of how the display is.

For example the 6S looks to have a pink hue in the upper right and the 7 a more yellow tint in the bottom left. These things aren't there, just processing effects that appear when trying to take a picture of two displays with different color temps. It's not exactly the most ideal condition for a camera sensor.

I would recommend anyone who has yet to purchase a new device check the displays out in person. Pictures of displays is a poor example.

9. Casfin macrumors regular

AMOLED has it's own inherent issues as well.

Just saying.

10. gsingham macrumors 6502

Yes as a means of comparing one to my own.

Not as a means of comparing one to another under the same lightning

I can't say your iPhone 7 is warmer than mine but Your picture clearly shows the plus as having a "whiter" display than your yellow tinted 7. The difference is very obvious in ur first pic

11. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

The picture I posted looks more drastic than it really is. Not trying to defend Apple, just being honest.

I believe Anandtech's review of the 7 stated that each display is calibrated individually, something different this time around but a way to try their best to keep colors as close as possible.

If I purchased 10 of the same HDTV's and had them all calibrated professionally, everyone would need to be adjusted differently. No display will come off the line exactly the same as the other.

Same goes with displays for smartphones. They may vary slightly, but apple is obviously aiming for a different standard of color temperature with the iPhone 7 compared to the 6S.

12. gsingham macrumors 6502

1. Majority of iPhone 7 plus have a severe yellow tint. I'm willing to bet with the right equipment they will not be anywhere close to 6500k. That plus looks very good

2. Again to what standard where they calibrated? The difference between the same 2 models of the same batche of the same factory possibly assembled by the same worker can end up looking miles apart

3. Your eyes might say they look slightly apart and that's based on ur eyesight but the pics unless they were taken with bias show they are way different

Forget showing the settings page.

Load up macrumors on the phone and see which of the two show a more accurate representation of colours

Manufacturing issues could also be a cause of difference. The screens are calibrated prior to install. Gaps here and there, glue and such other issues could be the cause of screen tint shifting.

13. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Speaking completely anecdotally, from all the 7s and 7 Pluses I've seen online and in real life, my conclusion is that the standard 7 actually has a warmer calibration than the 7 Plus, but both are still warmer than the previous generations.

14. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

6s plus had curtain effect of top of the screen. Now i notice 7 plus had more problems like darker bottom, yellow tint, blue tint on the side. Actually 7 plus is harder to get good screen

15. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

Great question!!!

16. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Sorry for the late reply. Did the best I could with the camera. Were you talking about the 6S and 7? Or both 7's? Anyway, yes the 7 has a warmer color temperature but looking at the color scale the 7 looks more accurate to me.

I have been around a few calibrated TV'a though, and have always been surrounded Warm color temps when it comes to "looking more normal" and accurate when it comes to colors.

Attached Files:

17. kngqw, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

kngqw macrumors newbie

Actually my tv is connected to a media pc and is HARDWARE CALIBRATED with a Datacolor Spyder 5 Pro.

I'm a full time photographer and I know a thing or two about colors , lol .

The problem with iPhones is the uniformity of the display, not the calibration, half of the screen is always good, the other ... not so

18. imagineadam macrumors 65816

Booloo, your iPhone 7 on the left looks very similar to mine. It looks like it has the pinkish tint in the upper left quad as well like mine but the bottom (where keyboard is) looks maybe even more yellow than mine. Hard to tell exactly from the pics though.

I don't mind the warmer tint but I just wish it was even!! It's like somebody poured a little red cool aid up top and peed on the bottom of mine! This all only being mostly noticed on white backgrounds.

19. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Because you don't understand screen accuracy. You're one of those that buy a TV and never calibrates and get rid of that crappy vivid setting out of the box.

20. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Overhead lighting and reflections make things look off (maybe the glass screen protector plays into that too). I am pretty OCD about displays (Samsung TV's have been so hit or miss for me with uniform issues) and to me my screen looks pretty much as good as it can get.

Not trying to defend or justify my particular model. It's a phone. I upgrade every year. And I could switch it out a bunch of times if I really wanted to.

I do question apples acreen differences at times though. Not sure how many manufactures are used for the 7's displays but in the past there were I think 3. I wonder if this plays a role.

Also, I work in the cell phone industry so I have activated multiple iPhones at one time. I have noticed that when booting a white and black phone up at the same time that the white balance seemed to vary. Haven't seen this with the 7's but previous iPhones. Could just be a coincidence. I find it hard to believe apple calibrated whites differently based on the color of the bezel surrounding the display.

21. kre62 macrumors 68020

It always makes me laugh at the yellow defenders claiming yellow is more accurate.

Heres the thing- even if yellow matches some made up standard that you call accurate, if it doesn't look good to people, it's wrong. Period, end of story. This isn't cause they are being tricked by nefarious screen manufacturers, its because it's what looks good to them and companies are giving the people what they want.

For me, the whites and colors I see in the world, which I consider to be 100% accurate since it's real life, look more like my 6S screen then the 3 7's I had. So, at least for me, the temperature of my 6S reflects reality far more accurately than the yellow 7's.

If you want to think that yellow is the new white and is accurate cause some nerd says it is, and it matches some fake made-up standard, then be my guest. I'll take the screen that matches real life, mother earth, and reality. And I'll gladly trade you an "accurate" piss display for a reality-matching display any day.

22. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

Yellow has never been the new white. And blue has also never been the new white.

Getting true uniformed whites is difficult on displays. I don't think many people are defending yellowish white "is more white".

Regular people don't stare and obsess about a white screen. They watch regular content that displays multiple colors. The closest reference point to white will then also allow the closest accuracy to other colors. That's why on most TVs, calibraters start at Warm 2 as a starting point since it's the closest to accuracy and allows the least amount of tweaking. These whites will look more yellow just like Vivid or Standard will look more blue.

23. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

LMAO you are something else.

24. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

You dont even have the 14 days return policy if you bought it in store in Europe.

Anyway, these iPhone 7 screens in those pictures here look like Night Shift is on. Jikes

25. kre62 macrumors 68020

Evorc I totally think you should stick with yellow screens as it seems to be what you enjoy. All I'm saying is it's obvious that many do not agree, they prefer white to look like the white they see in the world, and not yellow. If you want yellow whites, that dont match reality, but match some fake standard, then you should totally seek after phones that have that tint.