Here we go again! Iphone 7 terrible screen quality

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Evorc I totally think you should stick with yellow screens as it seems to be what you enjoy. All I'm saying is it's obvious that many do not agree, they prefer white to look like the white they see in the world, and not yellow. If you want yellow whites, that dont match reality, but match some fake standard, then you should totally seek after phones that have that tint.
Fake standards hahaha. You're killing me!!! Keep on.

Like I said million times the 7 is supposed to be warmer and not yellow but not inaccurate BLUE like the 6s. Have fun swapping in your phones while looking like a total OCD fool. These OCD threads are becoming tiring and needs to be blocked.

Reactions: chabig

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Fake standards hahaha. You're killing me!!! Keep on.

Like I said million times the 7 is supposed to be warmer and not yellow but not inaccurate BLUE like the 6s. Have fun swapping in your phones while looking like a total OCD fool.
Like I said a million times you have no proof of anything you've ever said. I'm passing on the 7 as the display is too inaccurate for me. Its probably closer to some made up standard, but doesn't not match real life.

Some of us put our trust in random people and fake standards, I guess it helps them sleep at night under a yellow glow from their phone displays. Others, like me, put faith in reality and real life. If the 7 matches some standard, and that standard is supposed to be close to real life, the standard is broken.

The reality is, if you screenshot the settings screen on the iphone and put it on a professionally calibrated 6500k display, it will look bluish-gray and white. And not yellow. That makes the 7 inaccurate. Even if the 7's white point is closer to whats considered accurate, the colors the 7 is displaying are not matching what the UI developer intended at Apple.

When the UI developer at apple made the settings screen on their 6500k monitor, they made it blue-gray and white. It should not be displaying with any yellow tint, regardless of the white point.

The 7's I've seen have had the worst screens of any iphone. Maybe good, accurate ones out there exist, but none of the 3 I had could be described as that.

Reactions: jdlorinser

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
OP I wouldn't worry about what they think in store the phone should be 100% perfect at these prices.
Keep returning ad infinitum but those screen protectors is that $50 or $35 US thats one heck of a screen protector is it special in some way my Moto E (spare phone) screen protector was £1.50 and is glass and fine from ebay.
Why not just move on to a product that is better quality? I mean what is the obsession with owning a product that one constantly complains about? Life is too short.

Camato

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Germany
I also been affected by a dead pixel on my 7+... unfortunately my provider won't replace my phone with a new one. Their words: you could damaged the screen by yourself... so we only can give you a refurbished one or repair it on your costs...

Hello? I paid a lot for a new phone, which arrived damaged... now I should pay more to get a repaired one?... no thanks...

Is Apple replacing dead pixel phones with a new one? (Germany here) even if I bought it from Vodafone? (Provider)

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Made up standard? This made up standard has been going on for decades with all displays, white balance references, and calibrations. I don't understand this logic. Education standards? Made up! Olympic scoring standards, made up! That swimmers front flip dive looked perfect to me, I score based on reality.

It's understandable to prefer the display on the 6S. There's a reason TVs (and some smartphones) allow the consumer to pick different color ranges. User preference. But you can't say one person is wrong simply because what you see is right to you.

How does a screenshot give us a decision of color accuracy between displays? What you have there is an image file sent and displayed on a calibrated monitor. It has nothing to do with a display and it's color accuracy. That's like me saying my HDTV has better white levels than someone else's and to prove it I screen shot myself playing Halo and display it on a calibrated monitor as "proof".

Reactions: evorc

Plumber007

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2016
Go to Apple.com and see if you can find a graphic of a yellow screened phone? there's plenty of graphics to choose from.

Reactions: Mescagnus

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Well taking a picture of any type of monitor will look terrible, so I wouldn't expect to see a real picture of the LCD screen anywhere on their website. Just how we don't see that on any TV manufacture website either.

Either way, nothing to me looks misleading. Whether it's the 6S or 7.

IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3090.JPG
IMG_3087.jpg

torana355

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
AMOLED has it's own inherent issues as well.

Just saying.
Of cause, nothing is perfect but AMOLED has far less issues then LCD, its the future ;) The biggest issue with OLED is price, once manufacturers get the process streamlined enough to bring the cost down LCD will be dead. Im not sure how anyone can stand the horrible uneven backlighting on LCD panels let alone the uneven colour issue ect. Ive got a top of the line Sony LCD TV and i cant wait to replace it with an OLED!!!

Reactions: Demo Kit and Booloo

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Image quality suffers quite a bit with off-angle viewing on OLED too. But yeah, overall the pros far outweigh the cons IMO.

Do we know who Apple will be working with on OLED manufacturing? I know they are distancing themselves from Samsung, but if anyone can mass produce OLED it's them.

Plumber007

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2016
Well taking a picture of any type of monitor will look terrible, so I wouldn't expect to see a real picture of the LCD screen anywhere on their website. Just how we don't see that on any TV manufacture website either.

Either way, nothing to me looks misleading. Whether it's the 6S or 7.
And it won't settle anything anyway because some will say it's normal, errr, supposed to be yellowish. We'll see, maybe someone soon can post some yellow snow and insist it's more accurate. :)

Reactions: Booloo

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
It always makes me laugh at the yellow defenders claiming yellow is more accurate.

Heres the thing- even if yellow matches some made up standard that you call accurate, if it doesn't look good to people, it's wrong. Period, end of story. This isn't cause they are being tricked by nefarious screen manufacturers, its because it's what looks good to them and companies are giving the people what they want.

For me, the whites and colors I see in the world, which I consider to be 100% accurate since it's real life, look more like my 6S screen then the 3 7's I had. So, at least for me, the temperature of my 6S reflects reality far more accurately than the yellow 7's.

If you want to think that yellow is the new white and is accurate cause some nerd says it is, and it matches some fake made-up standard, then be my guest. I'll take the screen that matches real life, mother earth, and reality. And I'll gladly trade you an "accurate" piss display for a reality-matching display any day.

Made up standard? Wow. Sorry, but the blue push does NOT look like the real world. Not even close. You better stop going to movies then, because the "standards" they use are not made up. Rec.709 for 2K and now bt.2020 for 4K are not something someone made up. You honestly do not know what you are talking about.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Made up standard? Wow. Sorry, but the blue push does NOT look like the real world. Not even close. You better stop going to movies then, because the "standards" they use are not made up. Rec.709 for 2K and now bt.2020 for 4K are not something someone made up. You honestly do not know what you are talking about.
Clearly you didnt read my post. If the standard is supposed to get us close to real world, then the 7 must not match that standard because the 7 doesnt look like real world. I'm seeing this with my own eyes. My 6S more closely matches real world.

If the 7 is indeed closer to the standard, then the standard doesnt match real world and the standard is broken.

Either way the 7 screen sucks and does not look like real world.

Also, the standards you quoted are clearly made up. Unless you are saying that nature carved them into a rock? They are man made, nothing more, and not special or official in any way. It's just what some dude created.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Clearly you didnt read my post. If the standard is supposed to get us close to real world, then the 7 must not match that standard because the 7 doesnt look like real world. I'm seeing this with my own eyes. My 6S more closely matches real world.

If the 7 is indeed closer to the standard, then the standard doesnt match real world and the standard is broken.

Either way the 7 screen sucks and does not look like real world.

Also, the standards you quoted are clearly made up. Unless you are saying that nature carved them into a rock? They are man made, nothing more, and not special or official in any way. It's just what some dude created.
Maybe, just maybe you should read up on Rec.709 and bt.2020 and how they came out with those standards instead of making ridiculous assumptions. It's not what some "dude" created. It's an industry standard. You are too lazy to inform yourself about these standards, but instead just spout out ignorant statements.

Reactions: evorc and Booloo

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Maybe, just maybe you should read up on Rec.709 and bt.2020 and how they came out with those standards instead of making ridiculous assumptions. It's not what some "dude" created. It's an industry standard. You are too lazy to inform yourself about these standards, but instead just spout out ignorant statements.
You need to think more critically. You are swearing by these "industry" standards and taking their word over what you an see with your own two eyes.

Anything that was created by man is man made. Some dude created it. So why are you putting your trust in something so fallable?

I trust my own two eyes when evaluating something. I look at the world, i look at the screen, and the 6S matches real world more than the 7 to my eyes. No made up standard will ever override my own experience. I suggest you adopt that philosophy or be forever manipulated into denying your own experience.

And by the way, it could be that the made-up "standard" does match closely with what my eyes see real life colors to be. If thats the case, like I've been saying, the 7 obviously doesn't match that standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You need to think more critically. You are swearing by these "industry" standards and talking their word over what you an see with your own two eyes.

Anything that was created by man is man made. Some dude created it. So why are you putting your trust in something so fallable?

I trust my own two eyes when evaluating something. I look at the world, i look at the screen, and the 6S matches real world more than the 7 to my eyes. No made up standard will ever override my own experience. I suggest you adopt that philosophy or be forever manipulated into denying your own experience.
Your ignorance is entertaining. I suppose you think white walls are actually white? I bet you didn't even know they add blue tint to white paint. You do know what the color spectrum is? You do know what true white looks like on the spectrum? These are not made up by some "dude". That is true color.

In the end, you buy whatever appeals to you. If you prefer the blue push, then perhaps iPhones will not be for you anymore. Apple will not go back.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Your ignorance is entertaining. I suppose you think white walls are actually white? I bet you didn't even know they add blue tint to white paint. You do know what the color spectrum is? You do know what true white looks like on the spectrum? These are not made up by some "dude". That is true color. I suggest a little more education and less bloviation.
Haha ok man, defend the standard til you die. I'm actually not clear - whats your position on the 7, is it closer to the standard you are referring to or further away?

When i'm comparing colors I'm talking about looking at nature, like top of a mountain type stuff. The 6S I have is better and more accurate than any of the 7s I had, full stop. Standards arent even part of the discussion, the 6S looks like real life moreso than the 7.

With that in mind here are your two options:

1) The 7 is closer to the standard you worship. This, for me, means the standard is incorrect and broken. I reject the standard and do not want to have anything to do with it, or any screen that looks like it.

2) The 7 is not closer to the standard. In this case, its the 7's screen that just sucks.

Which is it?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Haha ok man, defend the standard til you die. I'm actually not clear - whats your position on the 7, is it closer to the standard you are referring to or further away?

When i'm comparing colors I'm talking about looking at nature, like top of a mountain type stuff. The 6S I have is better and more accurate than any of the 7s I had, full stop. Standards arent even part of the discussion, the 6S looks like real life moreso than the 7.

With that in mind here are your two options:

1) The 7 is closer to the standard you worship. This, for me, means the standard is incorrect and broken.

2) The 7 is not closer to the standard. In this case, its the 7's screen that just sucks.

Which is it?
I already said the 7 looks better than past models. In the end, you buy whatever appeals to you. If you prefer the blue push, then perhaps iPhones will not be for you anymore. Apple will not go back to a sub par screen. Just because YOU can't handle the correct standard doesn't mean it's broken. Perhaps, you are the one that is broken.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I already said the 7 looks better than past models. In the end, you buy whatever appeals to you. If you prefer the blue push, then perhaps iPhones will not be for you anymore. Apple will not go back to a sub par screen.
Sure, you can say you like the way the 7 looks, but that does not make it more accurate.

Like I said before, if you output the GUI of an iphone to a perfectly calibrated 6500k monitor, you will see a blueish/gray and white settings screen. Its whats intended. If it looks yellowish, thats inaccurate. All the 7's i've seen are yellowish. You may prefer that, but its not "Blue push" to have a bluish settings screen - its accurate.

Whats really going on here is that the 7 is a margin/cash grab for Apple while they gear up for the real innovation next year. They are using cheap low-grade backlights that have a yellow cast to them. The true color backlights that are whiter and truly closer to 6500k are more expensive.

This is causing people like you to think they are calibrating the screen differently and its more accurate and the past was just some blue push - but it isn't. The settings screen was drawn in a certain way on a professional grade monitor. It is not being displayed correctly as intended on the 7. If you have a monitor thats professionally calibrated you can test this right now - screen shot the settings screen and email it to yourself and pull up the image on your monitor. you can use xcode or an ios simulator even. you'll see that yellow is not part of the formula.

As far as next year, I promise the settings screen will be back to accurate. Not blue push, accurate, when they switch display techs. The 7 will be the black sheep, displaying it as yellowish.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Sure, you can say you like the way the 7 looks, but that does not make it more accurate.

Like I said before, if you output the GUI of an iphone to a perfectly calibrated 6500k monitor, you will see a blueish/gray and white settings screen. Its whats intended. If it looks yellowish, thats inaccurate. All the 7's i've seen are yellowish. You may prefer that, but its not "Blue push" to have a bluish settings screen - its accurate.

Whats really going on here is that the 7 is a margin/cash grab for Apple while they gear up for the real innovation next year. They are using cheap low-grade backlights that have a yellow cast to them. The true color backlights that are whiter and truly closer to 6500k are more expensive.

This is causing people like you to think they are calibrating the screen differently and its more accurate and the past was just some blue push - but it isn't. The settings screen was drawn in a certain way on a professional grade monitor. It is not being displayed correctly as intended on the 7. If you have a monitor thats professionally calibrated you can test this right now - screen shot the settings screen and email it to yourself and pull up the image on your monitor. you can use xcode or an ios simulator even. you'll see that yellow is not part of the formula. The 7 is inaccurate. Period.
I have a professionally calibrated OLED tv, calibrated to D6500, and without a doubt, all the previous iPhones had a blue push. We finally have an iPhone that is correct. Thank you Apple.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I have a professionally calibrated OLED tv, calibrated to D6500, and without a doubt, all the previous iPhones had a blue push. We finally have an iPhone that is correct. Thank you Apple.
Put a pic of the settings screen on that monitor, put your 7 next to it and compare. They will not match, I 100% guarantee that.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Put a pic of the settings screen on that monitor, put your 7 next to it and compare. They will not match, I 100% guarantee that.
Already have. It's about as close as you are going to get to matching. Much closer than any of my past iPhones. Once again, thank you Apple for finally fixing the blue push.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Already have. It's about as close as you are going to get to matching. Much closer than any of my past iPhones. Once again, thank you Apple for finally fixing the blue push.
Take a picture and post it. Dont change the color temp on your display to warm just to try to be right. There is no blue push you are kidding yourself. Maybe the iphone4. Definitely not the 6S, which is far more accurate to real life than the 7 cash grab cheap ass phone.