Here's How Apple's New HomePod Speaker and iMac Pro Look in Person

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2017.

1. craigrusse11 macrumors newbie

I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure..

There is something about the iMac Pro that evokes a feeling of a modern interpretation of the NeXT workstation. I like to think that Steve would have been proud to announce it. I'm also sure that the Mac Pro coming 2018 will also have a similar concept to the famous cube!

2. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

The Homepod looks like a squashed down version of the trashcan Mac that they discontinued.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yes I'll be doing the same thing lol if the iPhone 8 come out in time it will be a late birthday present for me lol

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can unplug the power cable.

Seriously, Apple has a tiny chip that recognises "Hey Siri" and nothing else (that makes it possible for an iPhone in standby mode to listen for "Hey Siri" without draining your battery), and until you say these magic words, it's not listening. Saying "Hey Siri I slept with my brother's wife" is probably not a good idea, but still Apple says that would be anonymised and should not be traceable to you.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Remember they took the processor from the iPhone 6 to run Siri and control the sound and nothing else. Nobody can say how good this will be, but you can do a lot of sound improvement with that kind of processing power.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Going to be an expensive end to the year lol still undecided on if to go contract or sim free. The £1,000 price point makes me think to go with EE and just refresh each year with their 12 month deal then return the old phone

6. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

7. Bacillus, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

...and there is some particular geometrical analogy either

8. Nick A macrumors regular

A $350 speaker. A single 4" driver and some tweeters and as of now, can only stream Apple Music. Yeah it's a pass for me. You can get some really really great speakers for $350 and hook up a Echo Dot for <$50 and stream Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc..

9. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

That's how I feel. I'll probably get one just to test out the audio quality. The mediocre audio is why I was never interested in the Echo. I bought an Echo Dot bc it was cheap, small, and had a similar function.

10. Riddlin macrumors newbie

$349 for a speaker. No wonder Apple has record market cap.

11. Bacillus, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Ahh, apparantly Apple considered this speaker maturely marketable...
    Which is why they didn't choose to imitate, but to adopt it
    Schiller specifically trashes the lack of video feedback...that apparently also didn't make it on the HomePud
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    You could have opened it to feed its output into your home stereo...

12. stanman64 macrumors 6502

stanman64

People are saying $350 is ridiculous for a brand new product that's "just a speaker" that they have not heard nor know anything about it's manufacturing complexity/cost.

That's like saying a Tesla is "just a car" and the price isn't justified :rolleyes:

edit: not saying they are wrong, I just prefer to withhold judgement until I have tangible facts/personal experience.

13. Medinarem macrumors newbie

This is $350 and it doesn't even have bluetooth are you kidding me. only Airplay. So that in 2018 they can say.

Today we are introducing a revolutionary feature on the HomePod 2 that your absolutely going to love. Bluetooth. Now you will be able to play your favorite music from any device.

THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS...

14. Oberhorst macrumors member

Oberhorst

The Bang & Olufsen Beosound 2 is an absolutely amazing sounding speaker and it does not need to be plugged in (all the time).

I wish the TV had microphones. I don’t need a HomePod but HomeSiri would be nice. And buy the HomePod just to get that seems a bit of an overkill - and it’s yet another device in your home that doesn’t need to be there.

15. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Agreed, they are all top-presenters with above par skills.
    But there is lost territory still to be recovered in all area's.
    Most announcements - and the intonation of presenters - seemed to have a high "we fight to stay current"- proportion. Which is an improvement over the last few years, but not the victory that you pretend.

16. George Bailey macrumors member

What sort of binary world are you living in? You think "Has Speaker Yes/No?" is all the comparison you need?

17. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Wait, this thing seriously doesn't have bluetooth? LOL

18. Medinarem macrumors newbie

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

20. mwhals macrumors 6502

People calling this high priced need to hear it first. I have headphones more expensive than two homepods. It will not be as good as my headphones, but it is probably at least as good as any other comparatively priced speaker.

Before anyone asks, I am not an apple fan boy. I built my own powerful PC and use an Android phone. I do have an iPad 2 and iPod nano 4th gen. My wife has an iPhone 6 plus.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't think you have any idea what can be achieved with 6 tiny speakers pointing into different directions, controlled by clever software. Doesn't matter what place the sound comes from, what matters is what your ears think of it. Wait until you heard it in real life before you complain.

And assuming that two speakers would be monophonic is daft. Apple's guys don't go on the stage with a speech saying "oh, we must make 100% sure that nobody could ever possibly misinterpret what we are saying".

22. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Mention near the bottom of the iMac Pro page.

23. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

It was an above average event unless your main focus in the Mac which, as usual, felt like an afterthought. Spec bumps to a handful of machines, a couple of minor price reductions and a high-end iMac (still trying to fathom the logic behind that one) all adds up to a real disappointment. Apple is WAY overdue for a serious overhaul of their Macs. And they really need to start taking the Mini a little more seriously. It has so much potential that isn't being tapped.

I could go on, but as a Mac event, this was almost a joke.

24. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Wait what?

No Bluetooth?

Huh?

I can't play my music on it from my phone?

25. CampbellSoup macrumors newbie

CampbellSoup

Is it sad that my biggest excitement was the potential of space gray magic keyboard and mouse possibly being available separately?