Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makingmark

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
I’ve just compared the holes and I think it’s perfect. The deployment buckle is slightly longer, but taking into account the metal part which would be at the risk, I think the size is the same between the two. I didn’t feel any size difference on the wrist.
Given your response I tried it myself, and I agree. A worthwhile operation! Thank you.

For others who would like to perform, here are instructions posted earlier in the thread with accompanying videos. I would just add with respect to removing & replacing the standard (non-deployant) buckle with the springbar tool, perform it from the backside (wrist-facing) of the strap and the buckle. This way, if you happen to scratch the buckle with either the tool or the pin itself, the scratch will be hidden (even if not, it's unlikely to be visible with naked eye).

Last edited:

chipsandsalsa

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Given your response I tried it myself, and I agree. A worthwhile operation! Thank you.

For others who would like to perform, here are instructions posted earlier in the thread with accompanying videos. I would just add with respect to removing & replacing the standard (non-deployant) buckle with the springbar tool, perform it from the backside (wrist-facing) of the strap and the buckle. This way, if you happen to scratch the buckle with either the tool or the pin itself, the scratch will not be hidden (even if not, it's unlikely to be visible with naked eye).

Great info. Have an old noir single tour that’s fallen to disrepair - going to salvage the hardware and give the leather to a friend. Had to buy the tool to remove the screws though.

chipsandsalsa

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
Cuivre - Single Tour - Probably the softest band I own. Also one of the few with black lugs/hardware for the space black. Love it.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.01.21 AM.png

makingmark

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
Not a happy camper with my orange Kilm band today!!!!!! Went to put it on and found the very bottom of the band torn where it goes into the little holders. The rubber tore!!! To say I am disappointed at that quality flaw is an understatement. I’ll add pictures of it to this post later.

So I called Apple because I purchased it through them when I bought my series 9 watch on launch day and they told me I have to call Hermes so I called them and they told me I have to go into a store, and I said I don’t wanna go into a store (because I’m partially disabled and I have trouble walking due to a really bad arthritis condition), I wanna do it by mail, so now I have to wait for one of their boutiques to contact me and have them send me a FedEx label to send my unit back to them to have it repaired.

What a pain….. and so disappointing in the quality.
I will be interested to see how this turns out. On inspection of my kilim band more closely - perhaps I am mistaken in thinking its rubber material would be less prone to wear than leather, and Hermés had more than "premiumization" in mind when deciding to add a deployant.

What is apparent is that although the total thickness of the band is robust, the interlocking H-design creates many thinner points which are effectively scored (by the boundaries of the H) - like where yours tore. It might appear in its current state as if it tore from the band edge inward...but looking at the design, I suspect it may have torn inwards out.

Perhaps swapping out the deployant isn't such a good idea. Time will tell...

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I will be interested to see how this turns out. On inspection of my kilim band more closely - perhaps I am mistaken in thinking its rubber material would be less prone to wear than leather, and Hermés had more than "premiumization" in mind when deciding to add a deployant.

What is apparent is that although the total thickness of the band is robust, the interlocking H-design creates many thinner points which are effectively scored (by the boundaries of the H) - like where yours tore. It might appear in its current state as if it tore from the band edge inward...but looking at the design, I suspect it may have torn inwards out.

Perhaps swapping out the deployant isn't such a good idea. Time will tell...
I had the same thought—that the deployment buckle was more utilitarian in design than otherwise.

Reactions: Braided Solo Loop

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Still can’t get anyone from Hermes to call me back about how to get my kilm repaired since Apple won’t warranty it. With my present disappointment in the quality and lack of warranty, I won’t be purchasing any more of the bands even though I did love them. This lack of customer service on the part of Apple and Hermes is just terrible.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Can I get some suggestions? I know this will become personal preference, but I am style challenged. lol

I have a SBSS watch. Which Toile or Twill band would you recommend? I am willing to swap hardware, so I am open to bands that come with silver or black hardware. I do like the recent Orange twill, but I have a few orange bands already. I have blue covered as well. Do you have any suggestions for the SBSS?

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Can I get some suggestions? I know this will become personal preference, but I am style challenged. lol

I have a SBSS watch. Which Toile or Twill band would you recommend? I am willing to swap hardware, so I am open to bands that come with silver or black hardware. I do like the recent Orange twill, but I have a few orange bands already. I have blue covered as well. Do you have any suggestions for the SBSS?

Tbh the two SBSS options available are the go to, Noir/Denim Toile if you’re 41mm and Noir/Vert Toile if you’re 45mm.

Noir/Gold Twill is a clean option if you’re swapping hardware, though. Some of the more colorful options like Céleste or Jaune could work. Orange is tough on SBSS, for me it’s too Halloween.

Noir/Gold Twill (SBSS hardware swap)

cTML6KP.jpg

Ruling out some of the options; more often than not, two-tone bands with a white contrasting color won’t look great with black hardware. You’ll never see that combo from Hermès either. Applies to leather bands as well with the contrast stitching.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.