High Sierra macOS USB install failure - Early 2011 MBP - with install log

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avairion, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM.

1. Avairion, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM

Avairion macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I have no idea what to try next so I'm turning to you all for your wisdom!

Long story short: I'm trying to upgrade the HDD and RAM in an early-2011 macbook pro 13” and the OS won’t install to the new SSD. This is something I’ve done several times before without incident. This time I decided to create a High Sierra USB installer in order to do a fresh install of the OS.

I created the installer by first downloading the ‘stub’ ~20MB file from the app store, and letting the installer run until it asked to restart. I then cancelled the install and copied in the relevant, missing files into the 'SharedSupport' folder within the 'Contents' folder in installer package in the applications folder - this process is explained in this link:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/299731/macos-high-sierra-media-installer

This command was used to create the installer, which terminal says it did without incident.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra

Now I come to install the OS. I plug the USB in, it boots (fairly slowly as the mobo only has USB 2.0 ports). I hit install macOS and it gets chugging. Then it gets to the first restart. It pops up saying words to the effect: “macOS could not be installed, please restart to retry the installation”. Attached below is the install log.

Here’s the pièce de resistance - the HDD already has High Sierra on it - the computer can run it. It was installed by the tech guy at my local non-apple store as part of a whole repair fiasco that is largely unrelated. I’ve order a 2.5” caddy so I can clone the drive from the old HDD to the new SSD but I’d really like to understand: why won’t it install from this USB!?

Thanks for your time, folks.

Install log:

2. MSastre macrumors 6502a

MSastre

the full High Sierra Installer is 5,2.GB, not 20MB. I use Install Disk Creator to make usb installers.