Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Cheap iPod Touch means I'll be getting a nice early Birthday (or Unbirthday) present for myself this year :cool:

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
If everyone is doing so poor with money then why buy a new toy? I will sure as heck buy one with the price drop. My touch screen palm is getting old.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
cue the bitching for people who feel slighted since they just bought an [insert product here]

cue the joy for the people who feel like they got a deal since they have been holding out for an [insert product here]

cue the vehement discussion amongst people who do not intend to purchase [insert product here] regarding the implications of this business move

oh, to be an apple fanatic...

cue the bitching for the self-identified "stock holder" who own 3 shares of AAPL and thinks lowering product margins is a bad move... :p

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Republicans = Big Oil, Corn Ethanol, And Coal

Newflash! Not news to me... just being sarcastic!!

Remember when Republicans were in power and gas prices were going up, up and up and how some Democrats held TELEVISION NEWS CONFERENCES in front of gasoline stations griping about the high prices and how they are huting the "little people" and how the evil "Big Oil" is in price collusion and the government isn't doing anything about it because President Bush is an OIL man himself... Then they get into power and what do they do??? Hold investigations of big oil and find that in fact that oil companies are not in cahoots with pricing but in fact market prices were determining price.

Oh yes, the government can do somehting... Policticians can show leadership by admitting that he USA (among other industrialized nations) is an OIL based nation and economy and the government can disavow the viewpoint and threats of the envrionmentalists and put forth efforts to find more oil within the USA and not be so dependent on outside sources and build more refineries on government owned lands to avoid the "not in my back yard" mindset, as to refine the oil once found and therfore increasing the supply over the demand and thus reducing the oil speculation every time something happens in the Middle East and thus reducing the price. And no amount of energy conservation or alternative fuels like wind, solar, natural gas are going to power that jet airliner, cruise ship, Amtrak train or your favorite automobile or truck. But it's not going to happen, especially anytime soon, so let's all prepare for that $4 buck a gallon national average for gas in the US! And pray that it doesn't go up to $5 or $10!!

this is just plain wrong.

First of all, no democrat said that the republicans, Bush, and Big oil were somehow fixing prices.... what they did say was that the republican led government wasn't doing enough for getting OFF OF oil and investing in renewable energy. Just the other day, you had republican members of the Senate, arguing for maintaining the MASSIVE SUBSIDIES to Oil companies, instead of using that to fund renewable energy development. Cheney, Bush, and high level republicans have all expressed their support for putting YOUR TAX DOLLARS right into BIG OIL's POCKET! That is a FACT.

Another major difference is that the majority of the republicans support continuing and even expanding Corn based ethanol subsidies for big agricultural companies in Iowa and other states. . For those not in the know, Corn based ethanol is a HORRIBLE idea. It's incredibly expensive which is why the government has to subsidize it's production with YOUR tax dollars, otherwise it would cost $5/gallon or more. But the real problem lies in it's effects on the market. Prices of corn have skyrocketed, which puts a huge burden on the poor around the world who rely on Corn as a staple of their diet. The inflated price of corn causes agricultural companies and farmers to change crops, which reduces the supply of and increases the prices of other food staples, putting even more of a burden on consumers. The affect is even worse on Aid agencies that rely on donations to help feed the starving and poor around the world. A few weeks ago, the head UN official for food aid called Corn ethanol a "crime against humanity" for the effects it's having around the world on food prices/shortages.

Most democrats (and even Republican John Mccain -- which is why he didn't even campaign in Iowa) have publicly called for the elimination of corn ethanol subsidies, in addition to getting rid of all the subsidies going to Big Oil, and using that money to invest in REAL, practical, renewable energy, like Solar thermal plants, etc. It takes 10 minutes on google to find out who is really pushing for renewable energy funding, dumping oil and corn ethanol subsidies and the majority of them just aren't in the elephant party.

Even worse, republicans are the backbone of support for the powerful Coal lobby and industry, who is purposefully deceiving citizens and politicans with their ******** PR campaigns using the seeming-oxymoron "clean coal". Coal is a terrible source of polutants, and releases the most carbon by far of any power generation technology. They need to get rid of the pipe dream of sequestering C02 from coal plants, and put that federal funding into real research of renewable energy.

Secondly, your argument that the United States should be running around digging up Alaska wildlife preserves for more oil is total crap. We need to be focusing on reducing demand and not necessarily destroying wildlife sanctuaries just to feed the insatiable appetite for oil.
There ARE alternatives to current fuels for Cars, trucks, commercial airliners, cruise ships, etc in the form of renewable biofuels, ethanol (NOT corn based), methanol, hydrogen, biodiesel, or some combination of them and grid electricity.

But more importantly, no one said we need to stop using oil completely, and I'm sure many cars, trucks, airplanes, trains, etc will continue to use different variants of gasoline, diesel, ethanol, fuel oil, etc for a long time to come. That's just fine if we can really reduce the overall demand in those applications and others.

We need to be doing what many other countries are doing, which is investing loads of money into renewable energy research and development, in addition to renewable energy projects including Solar thermal, Offshore Wind, Wave/Tide, Geothermal, etc. There are huge strides being made in many areas.. we just need the political will and backbone to get it done and get the money to where it needs to be to keep pushing technology forward. We need a democratic president who doesn't bow to special interests like the Oil lobby, Coal lobby, and Corn ethanol lobby, but one who will provide the leadership to get the renewable energy market moving forward, and proper scientific funding into the hands of researchers.

We also badly need to educate the public about the latest advancements in nuclear power technology, which is cleaner, safer, and generates much less waste than old plants. Obviously, money also needs to dumped into nuclear technology research and development, and open up this stagnant market.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
cue the bitching for people who feel slighted since they just bought an [insert product here]

cue the joy for the people who feel like they got a deal since they have been holding out for an [insert product here]

cue the vehement discussion amongst people who do not intend to purchase [insert product here] regarding the implications of this business move

cue sarcastic jaded people bitching about people having conversations :p

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007

First of all, no democrat said that the republicans, Bush, and Big oil were somehow fixing prices.... what they did say was that the republican led government wasn't doing enough for getting OFF OF oil and investing in renewable energy. Just the other day, you had republican members of the Senate, arguing for maintaining the MASSIVE SUBSIDIES to Oil companies, instead of using that to fund renewable energy development. Cheney, Bush, and high level republicans have all expressed their support for putting YOUR TAX DOLLARS right into BIG OIL's POCKET! That is a FACT.

Another major difference is that the majority of the republicans support continuing and even expanding Corn based ethanol subsidies for big agricultural companies in Iowa and other states. . For those not in the know, Corn based ethanol is a HORRIBLE idea. It's incredibly expensive which is why the government has to subsidize it's production with YOUR tax dollars, otherwise it would cost $5/gallon or more. But the real problem lies in it's effects on the market. Prices of corn have skyrocketed, which puts a huge burden on the poor around the world who rely on Corn as a staple of their diet. The inflated price of corn causes agricultural companies and farmers to change crops, which reduces the supply of and increases the prices of other food staples, putting even more of a burden on consumers. The affect is even worse on Aid agencies that rely on donations to help feed the starving and poor around the world. A few weeks ago, the head UN official for food aid called Corn ethanol a "crime against humanity" for the effects it's having around the world on food prices/shortages.

Most democrats (and even Republican John Mccain -- which is why he didn't even campaign in Iowa) have publicly called for the elimination of corn ethanol subsidies, in addition to getting rid of all the subsidies going to Big Oil, and using that money to invest in REAL, practical, renewable energy, like Solar thermal plants, etc. It takes 10 minutes on google to find out who is really pushing for renewable energy funding, dumping oil and corn ethanol subsidies and the majority of them just aren't in the elephant party.

Even worse, republicans are the backbone of support for the powerful Coal lobby and industry, who is purposefully deceiving citizens and politicans with their ******** PR campaigns using the seeming-oxymoron "clean coal". Coal is a terrible source of polutants, and releases the most carbon by far of any power generation technology. They need to get rid of the pipe dream of sequestering C02 from coal plants, and put that federal funding into real research of renewable energy.

Secondly, your argument that the United States should be running around digging up Alaska wildlife preserves for more oil is total crap. We need to be focusing on reducing demand and not necessarily destroying wildlife sanctuaries just to feed the insatiable appetite for oil.
There ARE alternatives to current fuels for Cars, trucks, commercial airliners, cruise ships, etc in the form of renewable biofuels, ethanol (NOT corn based), methanol, hydrogen, biodiesel, or some combination of them and grid electricity.

But more importantly, no one said we need to stop using oil completely, and I'm sure many cars, trucks, airplanes, trains, etc will continue to use different variants of gasoline, diesel, ethanol, fuel oil, etc for a long time to come. That's just fine if we can really reduce the overall demand in those applications and others.

We need to be doing what many other countries are doing, which is investing loads of money into renewable energy research and development, in addition to renewable energy projects including Solar thermal, Offshore Wind, Wave/Tide, Geothermal, etc. There are huge strides being made in many areas.. we just need the political will and backbone to get it done and get the money to where it needs to be to keep pushing technology forward. We need a democratic president who doesn't bow to special interests like the Oil lobby, Coal lobby, and Corn ethanol lobby, but one who will provide the leadership to get the renewable energy market moving forward, and proper scientific funding into the hands of researchers.

We also badly need to educate the public about the latest advancements in nuclear power technology, which is cleaner, safer, and generates much less waste than old plants. Obviously, money also needs to dumped into nuclear technology research and development, and open up this stagnant market.

+1 for post. Obviously this isn't a political discussion forum, but if people are going to throw out bogus comments, it never hurts to correct them. Furthermore it never hurts to become more educated about the world around you, heaven knows how many uneducated dumb Americans exist in the world today, and yes I'm an American.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I wonder if the price drop is more like a deal on selling out the old stock of pre-app update iPod Touches. I just bought a 16Gig iPod Touch at Best Buy for $340 on clearance because it doesn't have the 5 newer apps. They want $399 for the new version. Well, even paying for the online update, it's still saving $40 over the newer version. I'm mostly using it as a touch screen remote for my whole house audio system (ala Remote Buddy), although I'm sure I'll use it as an iPod on trips and what not.

mackiwilad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Ask the Goverment!
+1 for post. Obviously this isn't a political discussion forum, but if people are going to throw out bogus comments, it never hurts to correct them. Furthermore it never hurts to become more educated about the world around you, heaven knows how many uneducated dumb Americans exist in the world today, and yes I'm an American.

Hey! I have met some really nice Americans! :D

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Oh yes, the government can do somehting... Policticians can show leadership by admitting that he USA (among other industrialized nations) is an OIL based nation and economy and the government can disavow the viewpoint and threats of the envrionmentalists

And kiss the environment goodbye by pumping millions of tons of CO2 in to the atmosphere.

Seriously: people like you are ruining this entire planet for the rest of us.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut

giant snip

Hey, did you see that there's a potential drop in the price of an Apple product?

But since you're in the mood to correct others, at least I would guess so since you write:

"We need to be doing what many other countries are doing, which is investing loads of money into renewable energy research and development, in addition to renewable energy projects including Solar thermal, Offshore Wind, Wave/Tide, Geothermal, etc"

- you might check your "facts". The US currently leads the world in renewable energy indices.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Seriously: people like you are ruining this entire planet for the rest of us.

look i dont want to get involved in a big political debate, but i have to ask, do you own a car? or how bout a computer? those emit CO2. just sayin dont attack people and put blame on everyone else before you take a look at yourself. take care of your life and encourage others to do the same.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Apple has already told us that there is going to be an iPhone and iPod Touch 2.0 software update in June when the iPhone hits its first birthday. Now if that were going to be the only change then I personally think they wouldn't have announced it so early. I think that there's something else significant going to happen in June as well. Either a doubling of capacity or 3G or WiMax or the iPhone will be opened up to more networks now the original providers have creamed off the first year of profits and will still have iPhone customers locked in for at least another year come June.

The more that happens in the meantime - price drops, etc. - the more significant we know that June and the months that follow will be.

Price drops now make sense to tempt those people who thought they could wait until June for an iPod Touch.

dutchy

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Still too expensive

Well, "only euro 199" sounds cheap, but is still too expensive if you compare it to US$ prices. Despite the fact that the dollar is in a huge decline, prices for Apple products in Europe do not follow the exchange rate.

Compared to US$ 299,= that the 8 GB Ipod Touch costs in the US, the same product should cost Euro 193,= overhere.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Well, "only euro 199" sounds cheap, but is still too expensive if you compare it to US$ prices. Despite the fact that the dollar is in a huge decline, prices for Apple products in Europe do not follow the exchange rate.

Compared to US$ 299,= that the 8 GB Ipod Touch costs in the US, the same product should cost Euro 193 + VAT,= overhere.

Fixed that for ya! :D

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
Apple has already told us that there is going to be an iPhone and iPod Touch 2.0 software update in June when the iPhone hits its first birthday. Now if that were going to be the only change then I personally think they wouldn't have announced it so early. I think that there's something else significant going to happen in June as well. Either a doubling of capacity or 3G or WiMax or the iPhone will be opened up to more networks now the original providers have creamed off the first year of profits and will still have iPhone customers locked in for at least another year come June.

I hope that what you just wrote is true. SJ did say that they would have 3G in the iPhones towards the end of June ...

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I am standing by, reading to purchase a 32GB touch as soon as the price drops to $399. It's a sure deal; $399 and I will buy it.

I hope apple comes through. Even paying $399 for only 32GB seems like a stretch, but worth it with all the other features it has; $499 is completely ridiculous. :)

Yeah, I'd like a 32 GB Touch as well but I sure won't be buying it from Apple. They're $50 more than FutureShop ($519 vs. $469) here in Canada. Maybe if our dollar takes another hit, you can come up here and get one.

-Squire

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007

Compared to US$ 299,= that the 8 GB Ipod Touch costs in the US, the same product should cost Euro 193,= overhere.

These sorts of comments drive me nuts. As if anything is so simple. International business is complex and costly. Plus, Apple has to pay people working in Europe for Apple in Euro's. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
look i dont want to get involved in a big political debate, but i have to ask, do you own a car? or how bout a computer? those emit CO2. just sayin dont attack people and put blame on everyone else before you take a look at yourself. take care of your life and encourage others to do the same.

I have a car and a computer. But my car is not a huge-ass SUV with 10-liter engine. My car gets under 10.000km of driving every year, since I usually walk, take a commuter-train or ride my bike. I drive economically. My apartment is powered with wind-power. I recycle.

Fact of the matter is that people who insist on having cheap fuel so they could drive their huge-ass cars, because they are too lazy to walk three blocks ARE in fact ruining this planet for the rest of us. I'd say that if Americans (yes, I'm looking at you) lived like I do, this planet would be A LOT better off. Am I perfect? Hell no! But at least I don't say stuff like "screw the environment, we need more cheap fuel!".

And no, computers do not emit CO2. The power-plant that provides electricity to your house might do so (except that in my case, it does not). but the computer itself does not.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Apple has to pay people working in Europe for Apple in Euro's. I could say more but I'll leave it at that.

You're right with the dollar now in such a downward decline the cost of distribution, wages, etc. must come into play. The thing that I think is interesting is what happens with the costs of manufacture when the strength of the currency in the producing country rises against the dollar - or are these costs small enough in comparison to packaging, marketing, US wages to be absorbed?

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I have a car and a computer. But my car is not a huge-ass SUV with 10-liter engine. My car gets under 10.000km of driving every year, since I usually walk, take a commuter-train or ride my bike. I drive economically. My apartment is powered with wind-power. I recycle.

Fact of the matter is that people who insist on having cheap fuel so they could drive their huge-ass cars, because they are too lazy to walk three blocks ARE in fact ruining this planet for the rest of us. I'd say that if Americans (yes, I'm looking at you) lived like I do, this planet would be A LOT better off. Am I perfect? Hell no! But at least I don't say stuff like "screw the environment, we need more cheap fuel!".

And no, computers do not emit CO2. The power-plant that provides electricity to your house might do so (except that in my case, it does not). but the computer itself does not.
I didn't want this to turn into a political debate, or fuel it.

But honestly, what you're saying is really ignorant.

I live in a village, with less than 2500 people. In order to go to a hospital, I have to drive at least 30 minutes. We have a clinic, but nothing that can do anything beyond a common cold and broken bones.

My school is 15 minutes away by car.

My college is 30 minutes away as well. This is my LOCAL college.

My next door neighbor isn't even visible from my window.

My road is not paved, we have no park, we have nothing built for someone to walk. Thing is, as much as we may want to save on fuel, we really need the car and these high gas prices are making me unable to commute from my highschool to college, there is no public transportation.

And it's not a matter of just moving somewhere closer, because to my family, we moved here to get away from the hustle and bustle that is Seoul, the city isn't bearable, and my family has taken up agriculture as an occupation.

While you may think it's just some being lazy, it's not just that. Some people will lose houses because they can't afford to get to work, and I won't be able to continue my education if I have to fill up my car once a week, costing me $50 a week, on a 17yr old's budget. My car is 4-cylinder as well, it's not like I'm driving a hummer.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Apple makes so much money on the iphone service contract and itunes that you would think that they would start offering $200 with a 2 year contract soon. I know they get full price now and a 2 year contract so why would they change? The more phones Apple sells the more people will download songs,movies, and apps.

There will come a day when you will see an iPhone for free or $99 with a 2 year contract.

Never for free, because it's not any old phone; it's an Apple product and they take pride in it. It won't be commoditized because it's meant to be viewed as a quality device.

US$99 is possible, but only with an iPhone mini or something.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

Why do you even bother to write such dribble? This is a discussion forum...
Here's an idea: don't read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.