Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
It'll most certainly get the Ivy Bridge refresh this year, it just won't be a redesign. I guess the next-gen (with retina displays?) won't happen until next year, because the display technology isn't ready yet.

I bet they won't look that much different, maybe thinner. The next-gen macbook pro is still using essentially the same design language as the old ones, so I'd expect the redesigned iMac to still be a very similar looking aluminum case with the semi-glossy LCD panel that's on the new macbook pro.

Oh yes, and thinner of course, and no optical drive.

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I am waiting until at least the end of July. I think we'll see a spec bump with the release of Mountain Lion.

However, there is NO way I'll be buying last years iMac this year. I'll buy a nice Windows based machine before I buy a year old iMac.

I keep seeing people say Apple wants to get rid of the old inventory, but apple only has a five day supply normally. Not to hard to get rid of the "inventory" when something new is released.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I am waiting until at least the end of July. I think we'll see a spec bump with the release of Mountain Lion.

However, there is NO way I'll be buying last years iMac this year. I'll buy a nice Windows based machine before I buy a year old iMac.

I keep seeing people say Apple wants to get rid of the old inventory, but apple only has a five day supply normally. Not to hard to get rid of the "inventory" when something new is released.

As I mentioned in the other thread: changing any spec on the iMacs results in a change in shipping date from In-Stock to Ships: 1-3 business days and even 2-4 days in some cases.

Stock dwindling down?

Rayxxy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
So, the new iMac is coming, but in 2013?

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

Wow... So... Huh.

Guess I should just go an order a 2011? So perplexing.

I am pretty sure They would update it soon. If you are waiting long as me or the others, i think u should wait. It might be out like a month or somewhere close to when they realease ML. Sp if you want, u can. But you could wait longer for the new version, your choice.

----------

A new design maybe. But doesn't say anything about not updating the internals this summer. They wouldn't let the iMac sit for 2 years. That's bad business.

True :)

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
what the heck is wrong with apple

I have 2k sitting in the bank waiting for an IMAC update - I will not buy a 2011 model and sure as hell will not wait another year for a new IMAC. Not bringing out a new desktop computer this year has just turned me off

I purchased a Apple 2 when I was a kid
I purchased a MAC SE long ago when in college
I then moved to the PC platform due to the software issue - but was going to go back to Apple with the new rumored IMAC.

My family has 4 IPHONES, 2 IPADS and 3 ipods.

I
I was going to toss out my old homemade PC and my 3 year old flip phone and get a new IMAC and IPHONE this year -but I may just now go out and by a PC Alienware gaming computer.

Apple you have dissapointed you base.

I just dont get Apple allowing all these rumors to come out about new Imacs and not shooting them down the last 3-6 months.

PS - I registered just to post this message - but will continue to read and post going forward.

thanks
Tom

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I was going to toss out my old homemade PC and my 3 year old flip phone and get a new IMAC and IPHONE this year -but I may just now go out and by a PC Alienware gaming computer.

I would review some comments on Amazon and other sites before buying an Alienware. Quality seems to have gone way down over the years since the Dell Buyout.

There are a few others that make such rigs, with much high customer satisfaction reviews.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I have 2k sitting in the bank waiting for an IMAC update - I will not buy a 2011 model and sure as hell will not wait another year for a new IMAC. Not bringing out a new desktop computer this year has just turned me off

I purchased a Apple 2 when I was a kid
I purchased a MAC SE long ago when in college
I then moved to the PC platform due to the software issue - but was going to go back to Apple with the new rumored IMAC.

My family has 4 IPHONES, 2 IPADS and 3 ipods.

I

Apple you have dissapointed you base.

I just dont get Apple allowing all these rumors to come out about new Imacs and not shooting them down the last 3-6 months.

PS - I registered just to post this message - but will continue to read and post going forward.

thanks
Tom

I couldn't agree more on all counts, man. I have been following this board for 3 months now, and have seen a definite shift in tone as the days drag by.

I don't think Apple's too worried about what we think, though. They are probably thinking "You're not going anywhere. All you base are belong to us." ;)

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
I don't think Apple's too worried about what we think said:
Actually I think this fiasco in lack of communication and updates this year has really had an effect ... I see quite a few mac users who have been with them for years loosing patience with this " if its small and pretty you'll buy it " attitude
The iphone is just a fashion item ... its small and annoying to do anything useful other than make calls and texts on .. You can get an android to do all the same things and not have to pay double the service charges ... And just like fashion, people will get tired of them
The ipad is a toy for kids and is once again to small to do anything serious on ... Thats right ... Thats right ... You do loads of serious work on it ... Well all I can say is you probably think you are more important than you are cos that "work" ain't that special ... Yes you can interface with your desktop, I know ... Carry a bloody notebook ( a paper one ) and you'd soon find you wouldn't get it out that often cos most of that "work" is pointless and unnecessary
ipods are fab ... There's no denying that
Mac Pro's are a joke and hideously out of date ... Anyone who pays that price for a computer like that these days is an idiot
Imacs are great if pricey, but need to be more owner upgradable if apple are going to be lazy and not do it themselves every year
Its as simple as that folks
They've got too big and are loosing it and becoming a gadget company

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I'm extremely annoyed, but its tough to leave.

And there were specs on an entry iMac along with all the other machines announced, on that ID number list with prices that leaked from Australia. But the iMac was not announced. So I guess its certainly been designed.

People also said same glossy screen as the macbook Pro. but the Macbook pro - they have dropped the glossy glass. its straight LCD. So ... that would make the iMac better to look at, thinner, and cheaper to build. So ... i think the screen will be like the Retina's in its glossiness, if not its resolution per square inch.

If they ever ship it that is ...

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
who knows.... :( I'm going out of my mind, wish I could forget about this stupid iMac for a while, because we are obviously not seeing an update the coming weeks/months.

Apple is riding the media hype of their last weeks laptop releases...I doubt we will see anything else new for a while. And in July august, the whole iPhone rumor mayhem will start until release in August....and then they will start preparing for another laptop release... :( no time for iMac

Any international news on the imac stocks in stores ? Do they get new supplies ?

DeF46

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Belgium

As Vizio said in interview with the Verge, they can go from idea to shipped product in six months. Other companies that don't give a damn about design could compete with Apple's all in one within months just putting together some black plastic crap that beats the iMac on performance alone. So I can see why Apple likes secrecy. Unfortunately, the average consumer still doesn't understand why experience and quality of life is greater than hardware specs.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Apple is riding the media hype of their last weeks laptop releases...I doubt we will see anything else new for a while. And in July august, the whole iPhone rumor mayhem will start until release in August....and then they will start preparing for another laptop release... :( no time for iMac

Expect iPhones in late September / early October. It will become part of their annual formerly iPod-focused event, which was Oct 4 last year and probably Oct 9 this year.

What's rumored for August is the 13" rMBP.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I am patiently waiting for a redesigned iMac with retina display, larger SSD, good ( not the best) GPU and 16mgb of RAM. Not going to settle for less even if it takes another year.

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
forty 2j ... There is no rage whatsoever in that post .. It is a simple statement of fact
Its so funny how people these days label any criticism as anger in the hope people won't take any notice of it

XofDyer

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Any international news on the imac stocks in stores ? Do they get new supplies ?

My local shop (here in sunny Heidelberg, Chermany) said they would be receiving a delivery of old iMacs in the next day or so. The salesguy suggested that it might be a while before the re-fresh, but I laughed and said if they want my money, then a re-fresh is the only chance they have.

I would guess that Apple is actually more desperate than even Melbourne Park for a re-fresh. They are struggling to sell a devise that doesn't even have USB3! Particularly at a time when there are iPad and iPhone users who are for the first time considering a mac (eg, my wife). For us it is thoroughly annoying, but for them it is a strategic catastrophe. Tim is probably not sleeping as well as someone nursing a 2006 mac-mini until... I bet they don't even wait until Tuesday!

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
I hope you are right ... That Tim guy makes my skin crawl ... And as much as I was no Jobs lover either, this guy seems a bit of a clueless bankers sub boy ... Gord help us people who just want a good os and not toys

DeF46

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Belgium
I hope you are right ... That Tim guy makes my skin crawl ... And as much as I was no Jobs lover either, this guy seems a bit of a clueless bankers sub boy ... Gord help us people who just want a good os and not toys

Tim Cook is fine, he did a great jobs impression. ;)

That said Microsoft also just did a great Apple impression with their latest tablet presentation. Steve Ballmer even resisted dancing up and down the stage. :D

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
You want 16 million gigabytes of RAM?

Hm, well if we are getting THAT picky, I could point out that:

"m" is the SI-unit for "milli", not "Mega", which is "M".

"g" is "gram", whereas "G" = "Giga".

"b" = "bit", "B" = "byte".

So that's 16 milligrams of bit(s).

:)

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
And there were specs on an entry iMac along with all the other machines announced, on that ID number list with prices that leaked from Australia. But the iMac was not announced. So I guess its certainly been designed.

No specs, just a part number list with prices... and what was initially thought to be an iMac turned out to be the spec-bumped non-Retina MacBook Pro.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I (like many) am waiting on the 2012 iMac, whether its a spec update with Ivy Bridge or a redesign. Personally I think it will be the former if it's released any time soon, but the longer they take the more I can save.

I'm still holing like the Mac Mini last year Apple updates the iMac with new hardware (USB3) when they release Mountain Lion, they may also update the Mini to USB3 at the same time, JMO.

Right now my idea iMac (what I can afford) would have USB3, i7, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb HDD, 1Gb Video card. I'll double the RAM later.

Last edited:

boyd1955

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Apple or Mucrosoft ... All tossers ... Apple has a much more reliable os which is basically what sold it ... Backed up with decent design
The design part shouldn't be difficult ... God knows why most pc's look so crap cos a monkey could make them more attractive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.