honest inquiry: Why did Apple frack-up so badly on the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doug in albq, Jul 6, 2010.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

So many different issues, both hardware and software, on a phone and mobile OS that should be reaching a level of maturity and usability by now.

also, it is funny that when the new phone prototype was found in a bar how many people commented on the "seams" around the edge of the phone...

it seems that those seams were more un-Apple, than just in form...

Flame away, this is simply an honest inquiry...what the heck is Apple thinking? I honestly thought Apple was above releasing products that appear to be only half-baked in both the software and hardware.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i think you are suffering from post release depression.

there really is minimal issues with the iPhone, Apple have done a fantastic job with it.

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

Says the guy who doesn't own one. :rolleyes:

Way to blindly defend your allegiance.

5. zacharace macrumors member

Agreed. The only real issue is the antenna thing, and even that, for all its validity as a problem, is a bit overblown IMO. No need to indict the entire phone/platform/company.

6. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I think you are suffering from acute fanboitis. Mucho problems with apple's 4th gen phone and OS.

7. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

Proximity sensor
    Glass that breaks like glass
    iOS glitches, many of them
    I could go on...

8. chris.robison macrumors regular

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What percentage of iPhone 4 owners are affected by each of these problems?

10. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Really? Because I'm loving mine. No dropped calls yet, fast OS, amazing display with no yellow spots. All my apps work without a problem now and the ones that had problems were updated by the developer. The camera takes great pictures with and without flash. Only bug mine had was a weird lock sound when I would lock it but it doesn't bother me since that's a software issue and it is very minor. (I just turned off the lock sound in settings)
    My proximity sensor isn't failing either.
    Oh and glass breaks, DUHHHHH! it's not made from diamonds

11. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

+1,000,000

Not a single problem here.

12. chembox macrumors 6502a

There are many uniformed people who don't know what the death-grip is and just think their signal is fluctuating for another cause because they can't correlate the two.

And there are those with perfectly unaffected iPhone units, which leads me to believe it's not a software issue.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Agree and agree. This is a fantastic phone with minimal issues. There are always a few hiccups, and they'll be dealt with like always. The cracking on the back that some 3Gs had was dealt with appropriately, and the reception issues that a small minority of iPhone 4 owners are having will be addressed as well. It's been less than two weeks. Cripes.

The OS is a bit buggy, like almost all x.0 versions. It'll get debugged like 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x did. As much testing as programmers do, there's nothing like real world use to expose previously unrealized bugs.

OP, is this your first iPhone or your first experience with advanced technology? This isn't even remotely a big f**k up, in tech terms.

14. Ghostmayne macrumors member

who knows. You usually only hear the people who complain.

to the OP. "the glass breaks like glass" what were you expecting it to break like? I was personally hoping it would break like candy and then I can eat the pieces. Oh and for the people complaining about the proximity sensor, that because their face is too fat. Blame Apple because they're 400 lbs? Get out of here troll. Honestly.

15. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That'll be the next iPhone. "iPhone 5iamond"

16. puggles macrumors regular

17. SpankWare macrumors regular

Same here. I bought two new iPhone 4's for both myself and my wife on launch day. We are both extremely pleased.

18. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm not sure what that has to do with my question. Without percentages, there is no real way to compare the issues with the iPhone 4 to similar products.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Same.

-Sent from my iPhone 4 death gripped in (admittedly) high signal area without a case.

20. Stay Tuned macrumors member

It doesn't matter how many people are affected Vs whose not affected, the P.R. damage has been done. When you mention the new iPhone to someone they instantly ask if you heard about the reception issue. It happened to me the other night when a lady asked me about it once she noticed what I was taking pictures with. Of course I showed her what happens and she got to see in person the dropped bars.

The last thing a company wants is bad press associated with a product, especially one that has gotten so much attention. All Apple can do now is wait for people to forget and let the issue go away. However, what do you think the first thing people will test in the next version of the iPhone!

The iPhone4 will always be known as the model with the death grip issue.

21. hamish5178 macrumors member

Have all the iPhone whiners never owned a ****** phone? I used to have a Samsung that I guarantee was at least ten times worse than any of these issues. The battery lasted for less than 12 hours brand new, and the software lagged behind the keys by about 8 seconds!

There was no class action lawsuit there. . .

22. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

whining is the cool thing to do nowadays

23. Retrosonic macrumors regular

iphone

Yes, the OP message smells like a bash to me. The iphone 4 is huge, smashing success. Theres no other way to paint it.

24. chembox macrumors 6502a

The glass is a hit and miss, some people are reporting cracks from a 3 foot drop on a rug, and some people are reporting it survived a rollercoaster fall. According to Apple, it's not just glass, it's 'chemically strengthened' and 'stronger than plastic', and that's why people are making a big deal when it scratches out of nowhere. It doesn't live up to it's hyped expectations.

25. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

Maybe something that should be strong should not be made of glass, just a thought. I know of no bicycles or automobile frames made of glass...just one simple example.

Typical MR "page 1" apologists...let's get this thread to page two or three!