Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I don't care about GPS as much, but a camera with a flash would be nice and more MPs too...

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
caring.png

Pet peeve.

I find I work better with visual aids.

ROTFL!!!!! :p

Caring Continuum - I busted up lauging!

gullaa

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
the only reason i sold my iphone is because i was hoping it had a better camera, and also gps. if it doesn't have these features i will be very disappointed and will prob just buy a refurbished iphone. So i do hope this is NOT TRUE.

mariokarter

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
I would interprete "i could care less" to mean you are halfway on the caring continum (but not really high or at zero), because by using the word "could" you are indicating that you may decide to care less in the future so i think it still makes sense.

or as a threat it makes sense:
child: "please please dad i want the new 3g iphone"
dad: "stop bugging me about this, I could care less about you getting a 3g iphone"

oodanner

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
caring.png

Pet peeve.

I find I work better with visual aids.

I always saw this saying 'I could care less' to be taken as a figure of speech rather than a literal translation. You are definitely correct in your literal translation but, I think most people would consider this a figure of speech and take it to mean 'Even though I don't care at all, then somehow I could still care less' Sort of a negative care if you will.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Yup, and the first iPhone will be available on all carriers, have a slide out keyboard and two batteries!

Eh, this would kinda suck if true, but I REALLY don't care about the camera. GPS would be nice, though.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I always saw this saying 'I could care less' to be taken as a figure of speech rather than a literal translation. You are definitely correct in your literal translation but, I think most people would consider this a figure of speech and take it to mean 'Even though I don't care at all, then somehow I could still care less' Sort of a negative care if you will.

but the expression just isn't "i could care less"; people are getting it wrong and i have no idea why. i hadn't ever seen anyone type "i could care less" until i came to this forum.

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI
So if I got this "care" business right, if I fully care 100% about something I am carefull if I have no cares or free of care then I'm carefree?:rolleyes:

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
There is no way it's coming without GPS and a higher res camera. Apple would be shooting itself in the foot if they just put the same old phone out with 3G. I'd bet that at least 1/4 of customers won't buy an iPhone if they don't include these features. :rolleyes:

Samsung Instinct to the rescue!

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
It has gotten to the point where half the trusted sources are saying one thing and half saying the other.

I don't know who to believe anymore

If the camera stays the same, I am fine with that as I have LOVED the iPhone camera which is 5x better than any other camera phone I ever owned

I hope the battery life does improve though even with 3G capability

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
just remember the iPod evolved one baby step at a time. I mean the dam thing didnt have a color screen till like 4th or 5th generation. I think we will see 3G this time around nothing else. GPS next year maybe a camera improvement after that. Steve feeds us just enough to keep us happy and toughs it as a world changing feature. The keynote will be overwhelmed of talk of 2.0 Software and how this 3G phone is going to be offered worldwide to keep all the investors happy. Then some .mac updates.

I guess it works into there whole scheme of things. Keep it simple, if you add 1 feature at a time you can make that 1 feature PERFECT.

sorry bud but times have changed. Apple has to stay ahead of the curve in order to gain more marketshare. Way too many competitors are coming out with GPS and extras. Ex. HTC Diamond

gullaa

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Then why did you buy it in the first place? GUI not kick-awesome enough for you?
The gui was great but i sold my iphone inhope for a better hardware upgrade...i couldn't care less about software..i think it was perfect( had 3rd party apps and everything..my iphone was jailbroken)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I, like just about anyone else, would be very surprised if the only new thing was 3G. It wouldn't make sense. And also, this is one of the only articles that say 3G will be the only new thing, even though it doesn't directly say that. I wouldn't put too much into this article, or any other rumors that appear. Again, with all the GPS tags in the 2.0 software, it would be hard to believe there would be no GPS. On the other hand, although reading these rumors are fun, lets just wait till Monday before we start anything here. :)

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I am in an unusual circumstance for me. I cannot be very disappointed. In a rare turn of events, I held off on version 1 due largely to lack of 3G... I never expected it to take a full year to remedy that oversight. Also, I was starting new business and decided to keep using what was working well for a bit. I bought an iPod Touch to tide me over and have been using a Blackjack for a phone. Ha, Windows mobile operating systems blow. Battery life is criminal on the Blackjack, but at least i can swap out batteries. I cannot make it through a one active day on one battery.

I would be very happy if it was just the old iPhone with 3G and apps. I will buy it in a nano-second. GPS? I suppose I would prefer it has it, but not that much. Better camera? why not. To me... 3G is a must with a phone that has such nice internet and soon to be apps. If I could choose, the next most important addition after 3G and apps is video chat. It would be the communication device of sci fi movies of lore.

I still can't believe this thing has been running Edge all this time. Seriously, you can't do voice and data at the same time.... yeesh, 3G will be a huge improvement, even notwithstanding the huge increase in bandwidth.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Oh and I applaud the "could care less" conversation. That has always been a huge pet peeve of mine. The world does not demand perfect grammar all of the time, particularly not in an online forum, but at least try to make some sense.

mariokarter

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
So if I got this "care" business right, if I fully care 100% about something I am carefull if I have no cares or free of care then I'm carefree?:rolleyes:

Yes.:cool:

There is no way it's coming without GPS and a higher res camera.

Or maybe the rabid apple fanboys (surely not us) would still buy eight of them each and hail it as the Jebus phone anyway even though it doesn't have GPS and nokias, HTCs, blackberrys, and others have had GPS for forever...

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
since most smartphones are going the way of faster procs, gps and better cameras, I think it will be easier for Apple to affordably get that technology into the iPhone - There's just too much market momentum.

shinchook

macrumors regular
May 13, 2008
New Jersey
Apple has always been about the shock factor with there products.

I don't think they would release something with only one upgrade. They are always about reading up on what consumers and cultists want and then finding a way to implement as much of it as possible. They would be stupid to only release a 3g model with nothing else different about it. If thats the case Ill just stick with my Edge model and the version 2.0 update. I think the only way I would buy a new one with only the 3g upgrade in it is only if they allow the itunes mobile store to be accessed without having to be hooked onto a WiFi network.

The addition of GPS and maybe even a 2.0 mega pixel camera with more function (like video and zoom and flash or something like that) would be a huge selling point for new buyers and early iPhone enthusiasts.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Those of you who are moaning about lack of a +2mp camera obviously no nothing about photography, or have ever seen the quality of the iphone camera. More megapixels != better quality.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Those of you who are moaning about lack of a +2mp camera obviously no nothing about photography, or have ever seen the quality of the iphone camera. More megapixels != better quality.

Please spare me the lecture on photography.

The iPhone camera is weak, for a variety of reasons, including the megapixels. For the cropping factor alone without losing detail.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Except until about 8.5 megapixels. After which point the human eye can't tell the difference. Sure, increased size would keep a better quality longer, but for practical viewing, everything above that is the same.

The human eye is around... what, 680 megapixels? Something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.